How'd it go today?

I like the two ladders on the roof. When you want to be absolutely sure things will go tits up :^D

Helped Mike a little deadwooding a beech...

IMG_20240406_103453991.jpg IMG_20240406_120154224.jpg

Went ok mostly. The tree caught and held pretty much everything cut, so it had to be cleared out on the way down. Also, I about flipped out on my way down. I had a canopy tie with a throwline attached for removal. I also had a polesaw/pruner with me that had a long cord. ALL that was twisted together, wrapped around me, and wrapped around cut limbs. I also was running a nicotine deficiency. I was || close to cutting all of it with my knife :^D I still have to untangle the throwline, but everything made it down intact. I'm gonna see if that sawhead my boss found will fit a Fiskars pole. That'll be nice and compact, and it was the pruner cord that was pissing me off most.

It was cool to have John climb with me. He took a side and I took a side. It’s a good 100’+ beech with a wide spread. Very little deadwood seen from the ground but once aloft there were many dead tips ( the upper and outer most, of course) Got pictures of John working.

Way more debris than expected. May chip it for her as it will take a while to burn.

Looks like the tree may have beech bark disease as indicated by the red, hard spots on the bark in the last 2 photos. That was the only place exhibiting the markings.

Attachments

• IMG_9330.jpeg
    IMG_9330.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9331.jpeg
    IMG_9331.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_9329.jpeg
    IMG_9329.jpeg
    7.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9323.jpeg
    IMG_9323.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9324.jpeg
    IMG_9324.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9325.jpeg
    IMG_9325.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9322.jpeg
    IMG_9322.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_9327.jpeg
    IMG_9327.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_9328.jpeg
    IMG_9328.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 11
Worked on the sawmill cleanup today. The last thing I need to do on this phase is move my old gravel truck. I did get the starter out, which was no fun at all. If I can convince myself it's been fixed adequately, I'll get it back in tomorrow. The weather is supposed to improve. I'll be able to do my final gravel moving if it dries out some more.

Love my choker. Need a longer one.

If you want you can get a wedge ferrule and choker bell, and then make your own. If you want it for overhead lifting you need an eye and a sliding hook, but the logging type is much easier to shove under a log. The bells and wedge ferrules can be used over and over again, and you can make them at any length you want that way, far cheaper in the long run since the wire is the part that gets worn.

If you want you can get a wedge ferrule and choker bell, and then make your own. If you want it for overhead lifting you need an eye and a sliding hook, but the logging type is much easier to shove under a log. The bells and wedge ferrules can be used over and over again, and you can make them at any length you want that way, far cheaper in the long run since the wire is the part that gets worn.
I had forgotten about the wedge stops. Would make sense as we sell cable at work and I have all kinds of rems, used, leftovers. That being said the chokers are cheap and I likely won’t use them enough to wear them out. This one is 7’ IIRC which is perfect for skidding off the tow boom in the dodge. Need a little longer one for the bigger logs with the deuce. I also use to when winching trees over.

Here’s a tip for the tree guys: my buddy has a small dia cable Choker that is 20’ long. He limbs a tree and then runs the cable through all the crotches in the limbs…sucks it all into a bundle and drives away. I want to put some beefy side poles on my trailer and then I can simply winch the whole bundle into the trailer. Pull it off at the shop, let it dry, winch it back on when it’s bonfire time.

Last edited:
I really like the trick where you put the wire rope through a chain link, and then use the wedge ferrule to lock it in place and attach the chain to the wire. I had never seen that before until i starting researching winch trucks, i guess that's a very common and quick way to do that, although it kinda skeeves me out a bit because of the bend radius. But you can do that instead of an eye, and then use a grab link so you can quickly and easily attach it to different things. My log tongs have a grab link as well, so I plan on doing that at the end of my winch line. Doing that you wouldn't even need to splice an eye, and could even serve to adjust the length.

Screenshot_20190921-151553_YouTube.jpg Screenshot_20190921-160539_YouTube.jpg

Back