How'd it go today?

I thought I'd review the valve adjustment procedure. I haven't done this stuff since my air cooled Vdubs, and I'm not familiar with a "thickness gauge". Anybody know what that is? They specify a feeler gauge and a thickness gauge. I've only used a feeler gauge.

Screenshot_2024-02-27_22-19-44.png

Is there anything to do on the train; food? Drink? or do you just wait?
Read, post on the Treehouse, watch the locals; I helped two young mothers each pushing a stroller and one with a child in her arms with getting on and off the train. All three young ones were fast asleep, snd they were questioning their sanity at having taken a day trip to London. Had a nice visit discussing traveling with young ones. They had s good laugh when they asked how young my children were and I replied, “32 to 42 years old at the moment!”

I thought I'd review the valve adjustment procedure. I haven't done this stuff since my air cooled Vdubs, and I'm not familiar with a "thickness gauge". Anybody know what that is? They specify a feeler gauge and a thickness gauge. I've only used a feeler gauge.

View attachment 136537
If anyone cares... It appears there's no such thing as a "thickness gauge" in this context. I guess it's just a peculiarity of being translated from a foreign language. The different colored stars are to show which rotation of the crank the various valves get adjusted at. I found a video online showing the process, and it looks as I remembered. I'm feeling good about it. Once I get the iginter(They say Monday, but who knows? It's DHL delivering :^/ ), get it installed, and hopefully all the sparkers spark, I'll order a valve cover gasket, try to find my feeler gauge, and adjust the valves.

Question... It's been indicated the gasket doesn't get glued in place. Does that sound potentially right? I always used permatex or whatever, and glued to the valve cover. It would be nice not having to deal with that.

edit:
answering my own question... I watched the rest of the video, and the guy just oiled the channel on the cover and the Oring/gasket. If he knows what he's doing, that'll be fantastic. No scraping stuck gaskets in the future.

Last edited:
You never help with laundry she says! I just hauled 8, 55gallon trash bags of dirty laundry into the laundromat. I own enough clothes for one large load in a washer. Everything else is hers or the kids.

And I do help, I just spent two hours sorting shit out, not by color, but material type and weight. In a few hours, I'll be told I'm not folding things properly... whatever...

answering my own question... I watched the rest of the video, and the guy just oiled the channel on the cover and the Oring/gasket. If he knows what he's doing, that'll be fantastic. No scraping stuck gaskets in the future.
I missed that it was an O ring gasket. If it stays in the groove well oil should be fine. Sounds like a good seal.

Why are you not going to the doctor and dentist telling them that you were injured at work?

You could call ahead and inquire. If you need someone to make the calls for you, let us know. Some people are not call-the-office-talk-to-the-people people?

I'm waiting on insurance for the tooth. I was supposed to hear back about that today. Once that is in place, then I can try to get an appointment.

IMG_5586.jpeg IMG_5587.jpeg IMG_5592.jpeg IMG_5593.jpeg I customized this 6lb fire axe into a 5 lb banger for a logger friend. When I cut the poll off, I cut it square…but the eye isn’t parallel, so when he hung it, it was screwy. Poll not parallel to handle. Pulled it to weld up today.

Kids bout kilt my splitters. 6lb Italian slip on was cracked and head was trying to slip all the way off. Hockey tape.

Stihl .404 dry Euc killa

On our way to London for two days of tourist’ing. Left Bexhill almost an hour ago, but sitting in Eastbourne as there is an issue with the signaling along about Polegate. Might miss our first timed-entry ticket slot at the National Gallery. ( Not a big deal; there is a younger woman sitting across from us looking very nervous about likely missing her exam in Business Accounting!)

Mainly stopping there for a photo op.

Climbed a massive sycamore in Ritter Park, Montclair, NJ with a friend and his daughter. We have photos of that climb.

That same famous tree (much smaller) was featured in a painting by George Innes in 1893 entitled, “Hazy Morning, Montclair”.

Rumor has it that the painting is hanging in the National Gallery in London. I’d like to get a photo of me standing by it - to frame along with a photo from the climb.

Attachments

• IMG_9501.jpeg
    IMG_9501.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 9DBFF0F3-55BA-4BD9-9B87-60203EB47FA3-3797-000002AB1D4C1819.jpeg
    9DBFF0F3-55BA-4BD9-9B87-60203EB47FA3-3797-000002AB1D4C1819.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 9
Had to unload the locust I cut a couple years ago, and I got started stripping bark...

IMG_20240301_120231836.jpg

Broke my sappie handle banging on logs to free them, but it's still useable...

IMG_20240301_120244984.jpg

The reason we did that was to load logs I cut last year. Some cedar for me, and some 16' locust for the boss to build a pole barn\shed. Still need at least one more locust stem...

IMG_20240301_142453923.jpg

The toothache saga continues. Anyone have any home remedies? I think I'm going to end up at the ER to try and get some relief, if tonight is anything like last night. OTC pain meds don't do anything, which is not new to me. Still waiting on insurance status before I can even think about making an appointment to actually fix the problem. It's been sort of a perfect storm of events making this really annoying. Going from employed to self-employed, trying to get insurance, and then having a pretty serious medical issue. I often wonder how cavemen dealt with toothaches. Probably were dead before it became an issue. :|:

Depends on exactly what kind of toothache I think. Clove oil is supposed to help. If you have whole cloves, you could gently chew some of those.

It’s the infection that hurts the most. And will get worse, antibiotic's will kill the infection but not deal with the cause. Get some antibiotics.

You could also do classic listerine, or better yet, one of the cheapo clones. The alcohol will numb your mouth a bit, but it's also antibacterial, along with the thymol and eucalyptol which are also antibacterial.

Thanks. Clove oil has stopped working. Nothing hot is going anywhere near my teeth! Cold water gives me 3-4 minutes of relief. One receptionist I talked to pretty much said ER for antibiotics and meds was best/quickest option. I guess that's where I'm headed in a few minutes. Need to get back to work!

Back