How'd it go today?

Git yourself an electric fly swatter. Harbor Freight. $5. Make sure it is the D cell model. You can trap them against a window and avoid splattering fly guts everywhere, and catch them in mid air. If you leave it charged on a flat surface they will sometimes land on it. I have 2 and love them. Good for mosquitos, moths, hornets, whatever flies.

Funny for stupid people as well. Neighbor woman touched it as she was saying how does this work. EEEEEEEE she said. My friend shocked himself with his twice and then gave it to me.

Hey you angry Phukers!

Did you know that square body Chevys and square body Ford 3/4 ton, 8 lug rims are interchangeable? I had heard it, Google couldn't help apparently, so me and a wrench and a jack faffed aboot and found oot! Now I can rob four good tires off my suburban, and replace the racing slicks on Perty Gerty. Which will buy some time to get a job before I shell out for tires. Sarah is bringing me some jack oil, and tomorrow I'll swap 8, 8 lug wheels around, by hand, in the dirt, hopefully. See yall, I'm trying to move forward!
View attachment 136447

Yall never mind that this one is flat trash, I can't lift the suburban with a hilift without phucking her up.
Older dodges are also 8 on 6.5”, as are 8 lug trailers. Comes in handy. Only thing you gotta watch out for is the center bore.

Ford and Dodge are interchangeable, but GM shouldn't be. Odd that they fit. Ford hub pilot are totally on their own.
You were right, just so you know. My after market, slightly rusty chrome rims fit the Ford as well as Chevy, but my stock steel gm rims do not. So I've been breaking down wheelsets in the dirt by hand. Grrr.

One of the issues with getting older, is that some days you just seem to be stiff, lumpen and sluggish in the tree.
Doesn’t mean you can’t be slick, efficient and have plenty of swag some days, just that those days are less ‘automatic‘
Today was one of the first days.

One of the issues with getting older, is that some days you just seem to be stiff, lumpen and sluggish in the tree.
Doesn’t mean you can’t be slick, efficient and have plenty of swag some days, just that those days are less ‘automatic‘
Today was one of the first days.
You may feel weaker during a climb now, but your cognitive abilities, knowledge, problem solving and fundamental understanding of tree climbing far surpass someone half your age on a consistent basis.

It's the truth. Not just in the trees, either. That is life, in all its glory.
I suppose, im not one to rage against the dying of the light (too much) I’ve had a good run.

This was a number of smallish trees ‘granny work’ as my nephew calls it.

On bigger, more challenging stuff, the adrenaline seems to pull me through.

Worked at our tree service client today. Nice pile of logs...

IMG_20240227_093908167.jpg

Big boy stump grinder...

IMG_20240227_111742992.jpg

Finished up, ate lunch, then fooled with the chipper. It appears to be an igniter problem, though in reality, I'm probably on the 'part at a time' plan, and this time next year I'll have a brand new chipper :^S

Question... Do I want to pay $475 for a new open box igniter on ebay, or do I want to pay $500 for one that just says "new"? Same vendor. My concern is possibly someone bought it, did something stupid to break it, then returned it. Any opinions?

I also half ass decarboned my 2511 and installed a new hole in the muffler. Dunno if it improved power, but I'm happy with the sound level. It isn't obnoxiously loud.

If the vendor sends you an item that is broken, open box or not, you should have easy recourse for getting a replacement, no? On the other hand, it's only 5 percent more, if that eases your mind it's probably worth the small extra cost.

30 day return, I pay shipping back. Worst case is it puts me about even money with the expensive one, but I have to wait to see if the chipper works. I want to install the part and see 3 cylinders firing, or at least not have doubt in my head about why 3 cylinders *aren't* firing. I think I'm talking myself into the expensive one.

Bastards charged my $29 tax :^D

Oh well. Coming from Germany, and it'll hopefully be here by Friday. If not, it'll be early next week.

Just throw those 16.5s out. No point in keeping them unless they are slated for a welding project :/:
No 16.5s in years. The hub diameter is what's been the stick in my craw. It's all good. Four decent tires on the Ford, the fronts fit fine, just the rear needed swapping in the end. And so, the world carries on...

John, I was speaking to John (not my son John or uncle John but neighbor John) and he asked if you did a compression test. I told him I don’t know. He also said it could be a mechanical issue and not a firing issue. I think he said the rockers? could be out of wack. Whatever is under the valve covers……

What was the tree service clients name?

Fallston Tree Service. They're more into lot clearing than arborist type work, but I think they do everything.

The sparker definitely isn't sparking, and I'm hoping the igniter fixes that. One of the pins that never should pass current was passing current, so I'm thinking there's a short in the box. Valves are on the schedule at some point. I'm hoping the igniter gets things going, then I guess I'll have to adjust valves. Haven't done that in ~30 years. It really probably needs a top end rebuild, but that's not something I want to do myself, and I'm not sure I want to pay anyone to do it. If the easier stuff gets it working well enough, I might just death run it, then retire it as a parts machine. Dunno. One step at a time...

No 16.5s in years. The hub diameter is what's been the stick in my craw. It's all good. Four decent tires on the Ford, the fronts fit fine, just the rear needed swapping in the end. And so, the world carries on...
I don't really know what the problem is, but you couldn't machine the hub diameter larger, if that would even fix your problem?

IMG_5557.jpeg IMG_5559.jpeg Looks good! What did you put on the handle?
Handle was falling out. Pulled it, refitted, new wedge, light sand boiled linseed oil.

Tonight’s procrastination. Aussie cyclone 4.5lb. Exact same head shape as a 5lb GB Stroax, just .5” thinner on the poll…so you can chase a wedge into the back cut if you need to.

Tennessee hickory handle with a bit of reshaping. Not pretty but I like how the handle swoops away from the poll for a wedge banger. Practical. The factory palm swell is horrid, my efforts look a little better. Not enough meat to work with.

Back