How'd it go today?

My old Morbark chipper finally sold at the auction today. The first two monthly auctions, I had a $10,000 reserve on it, and the high bids were $7,500 and $7,400 each month. This particular auction does not allow a reserve on the third month, so I was worried it would not bring any more than $7,500 this time. I was pleasantly surprised when it sold for over $20,000!
congrats!

Helped Mike remove a couple Chinese dogwoods...
View attachment 133545

They could've been done with polesaws, but climbing's more fun, right? Property was really nice. Nothing super fantabulous or extravagant, but it's what I'd like looking at every day. Mid century modern, with lots of trees, and lots of decking with seating to admire them. The woodwork needs work, but that's just details. It's a nice spot on the planet. It was a fine cool day. Well... except for my 2511. I took the rakers down too low, and it's a huge hassle to use. Throws beaver chips, makes some god awful looking cuts, and bites in and stalls. I'm trying to tough it out hoping it gets better as I sharpen it, but it really isn't fun to use atm.
File the teeth with the file higher, making a less sharp tooth angle. It will solve the problem short term. 3/8 on a 2511t absolutely must not be aggressive.

This is more of what happens with different size files, but how high you hold it affects the top angle too.
Oregon LP profiles.jpg

I file all my chains pretty high; very little hook. I hog out the gullet, then file the top plate pressed up hard against it. The final couple strokes are almost midfile to finish up the "corner", or as close to a corner as you get with semichisel.

Damn! Rough week. Glad you didn't get cut too bad.
Thanks. Not terrible. But you could see stuff.
Got lucky.
Cut Thursday and Saturday evening dressing change. Been changing dressings twice daily. Cleaning and flushing and antiseptic.
Butterfly, gauze pad, then gauze wrap. Then stretchy wrap to help immobilize.
Looks like it is healing ok. Biggest thing is no infection. Need to keep it clean and disinfect with clean dressings. Aired it out a bit tonight. Keeping these pictures small so only those that really want a peek.....

Attachments

• 20231111_194357.jpg
    20231111_194357.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 20231111_203848.jpg
    20231111_203848.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
One of the list items that caused my cut last week. Chain too aggressive. Needed to just touch the teeth about 6-8 strokes and that little jump from the saw would have been minimized.
Most accidents seem to have multiple small issues that combine to get ya. I watched my father's impatience almost kill him more than once.
Sometimes being lucky plays a part as well.
Glad you didn't suffer more than you did. I have been lucky to be alive more than once.

Thanks. Not terrible. But you could see stuff.
Got lucky.
Cut Thursday and Saturday evening dressing change. Been changing dressings twice daily. Cleaning and flushing and antiseptic.
Butterfly, gauze pad, then gauze wrap. Then stretchy wrap to help immobilize.
Looks like it is healing ok. Biggest thing is no infection. Need to keep it clean and disinfect with clean dressings. Aired it out a bit tonight. Keeping these pictures small so only those that really want a peek.....

Nasty, have a similar one myself, though further up the arm.
You got lucky (as did I)
Glad it’s ok.
I still one hand, but try to remember my injury and reset if it feels dodgy.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Spot's injured. She can't really walk on one of her front paws. I'll have to keep an eye on her, and take her to the vet if it doesn't improve. I couldn't tell what was going on, but it looked like one of her claws was a little extended. Maybe got it stuck somewhere. She lets me hold and pet her, but isn't entirely comfortable with it, so I didn't want to play with her foot.

easy day today topping some bradford pears, super steep driveway but other than that it wasnt too bad

seeing about a burn permit for the clearing job tomorrow, if they wont give me one them im just subbing out a grapple truck to come get the brush, already a few weeks behind schedule due to the FD stopping us from burning because of wind and dry weather

Typical Sunday here. I cook breakfast and then we spend most of the day outside doing yard work. Plenty of playing around while doing it though. Helped the neighbors move their washer and dryer, and a bit of caulking on the camper were the two extra things today. About to sit down for dinner now with my mom as a guest.

bucket truck started being funky, reaching over center as soon as id crack the valve to "raise" the lower boom section it would almost free fall, got home and did a load test at 125% rated capacity and it all checks out alright but everything is pointing to bad holding valves (including the boom creeping down, and you can move it with the truck shut off by opening a valve whichever way gravity is pulling it)

so I need to replace all 4 valves, on a good note they are just a cartridge style and cost about $125 each, I know the holding valves on the upper boom are fine but im planning to replace them anyways

does anyone have a trick for removing them? ive pulled them out to inspect them and take down part numbers, no way to bleed pressure since they hold about 2500PSI in the cylinder at all times, only option ive found is to slowly unscrew them till they pop but last time I did that one came out and almost went straight through the boom

heres the style holding valve, these work off over pressuring a spring, they hold a set pressure then open once you over pressure, the boom doesnt weigh enough to pop the spring but its close, then it takes just a few hundred PSI to power through the spring

1699832791147.png

Last edited:
There should be a relief valve screw at the outer end of the valve. Just back it out.
that works when you replace them, theres nowhere to put gauges on this to re adjust without pulling lines when installing the valve again
you said what my crane guy said, altec, and the local hydro shop guy so it must just be the way they are?
I suppose it isnt supposed to come out unless you are replacing them, but on my boom they are recessed and you have to remove them to see the part number
my crane guy actually has a scar on his jaw from a holding valve coming out, he said the same thing "do not touch the valve till that screw is backed out"

Marked cans on the noisewall. That job kicks my ass. So tedious, and pretty much all with my ass on the ground. One of the guys took the covers off the top, and dug out the ones that had dirt slough down, so that was a help.

Got home and took a look at Spot. Seems like she might be a touch better, but I;m not sure. I called my vet, figuring I'd get her looked over, even if the foot didn't need attention, but they're booked for the week. If she doesn't get noticeably better, I'll see if my old vet can see her.

Sorry about Spot, hope your pup feels better. Have you done the thing and stuck yer finger into her paw, felt around everywhere for a sticker or some such?

My brindle boxer, Tank was refused by my local vet and I had to purchase black market Ketamine so I could remove a porcupine quill from the web of his paw. It was a whole thing. Turns out what I thought was a porcupine quill was actually the stinger of a scorpion. Go figure. Tank was about 80lbs of bad attitude, snapping and biting at my hand when I tried to work on him. Special K got it done.

Spot's a semi feral cat I've been feeding for a few years now. She lives outside, but this is her apparent default home. She spends a lot of time here, and is leader of my fan club. If she knows I'm outside, she'll come from wherever she's at, meowing the whole way. In exchange for food and an outside shelter, she catches mice(and a bunch of other animals I'd prefer she didn't catch) for me.

She'll let me pick her up, but she doesn't like it that much. When I saw her yesterday, it looked like one of her claws was a little extended, and she had light blood splatter on her back legs. She otherwise looks ok, so my best guess is she got her foot caught somewhere, and hurt herself freeing it.

I like seeing her around, so I figured I'd just pay to get her worked on. Foot looked at, and general going over, maybe some shots.

IMG_20220213_081716.jpg

Back