How'd it go today?

Nasty hot and humid day today. Had both PTs, so tackled a crispy, 4 stem, ~95' dead White Ash at a friend's house. In a bit of a tight spot (right next to driveway and utility lines 6-8 ft. away). Got 3/4 of it down, with some annoying hangups due to limbs/leads smashing on flops and the remainders getting hung up between spars, and me just being sapped by the sun/heat/humidity. Will finish it up tomorrow am after the overnight T-storms subside. Might have some pics from custy tomorrow.

This one sucked. Finished it today as I needed the spar for yarding the fallen lead off a bank of rocks. Not much of a zone to bomb or drag. Lowered most of it since leaning over house, deck, ac.. No back access. Levi and Lilly helped drift the pieces from over the roof. Did I also mention leads were cracked and multitudes of hangers from storm breakage. Just have easy pruning left on this job and done. 4 day stint.
Yard art under the pruning though :|:
We left the back half of the tree since its still green and will fail away from the house.
Dude roto tilled the entire zone so like working on beach. :|: 20220608_090459.jpg 20220608_090517.jpg 20220608_090432.jpg 20220608_112043.jpg 20220608_090424.jpg

Got a new sign today...

IMG_20220609_113113960.jpg

:^D

Staked some sediment control earlier, and recovered a big piece of housewrap I found a couple weeks ago, but wasn't sure I wanted. I'll use it to tarp firewood. Came with this guy...

IMG_20220609_083014401_HDR.jpg

Not sure if the boss intends on going out again. I'm thinking I'll split some more wood for his daughter.

edit:
Finished the day splitting wood, went home and hacked my burning bush back some. Got to use my generator. My cord wasn't quite long enough to get it all from the house. The genny fired right up. No problems.

Last edited:
Did some rainy day work today. First day since winter. 7 trips with the Arbor Trolley due to one short, steep section, so I had to keep them light enough. Tricky driveway, very tight, no turnaround, had to hit the transition to the street at an angle because they paved it at a steep angle.

Dead hemlock tipped into the open lawn. Ground the stump. About the best job I coulda had for the weather. Part one was drizzly, brought the brush home in a trailer, 2 grabs with the BMG and the trailer was ready for the grinder. Found out that I've been running a way too loose, and way too dry drive chain- hydro motor to the axle for the self-propulsion. Got that handled. Grinding is the rain means zero dust. Small victories. Better than dusty and boring.

I dropped that oak today. That was a minor disaster. I lost it sideways, and took out the top of a youngish tulip poplar. Hinge was way too thin, and I was ambitious trying to move it off the lean. Instead of 15°, I went with 50°. Brute forced it with wedges, and lost it. Oh well, no real damage aside from pride. Getting it limbed up will be a good workout for my new echo, so that's something, eh? :^/

John, you mean: Dropped that oak today and everything went as expected. Left a perfect 10% hinge and fell it against its lean using you masdam and wedges.

I’d a pulled it over with my skid steer😉😂.

Descent day at work. Got my gear prepped for tomorrows leaning cherry. Going to my son’s baseball playoff game now.

I dropped that oak today. That was a minor disaster. I lost it sideways, and took out the top of a youngish tulip poplar. Hinge was way too thin, and I was ambitious trying to move it off the lean. Instead of 15°, I went with 50°. Brute forced it with wedges, and lost it. Oh well, no real damage aside from pride. Getting it limbed up will be a good workout for my new echo, so that's something, eh? :^/
Needed more rope and pull. Sorta like cow bell.

Repeat after me, rope is my friend

Pictures of said disaster ;)

I didn't take any pics, and I'm not sure I'd post them if I did. I guess that's kind of a lie of omission, but you'll just have to take my word that it was a poor performance with a shitty outcome. I still gotta do some thinking on it, but a deeper face with a thicker hinge would be a good start. Not sure that would be enough to have put it where I wanted it, but it would get it closer.

I got it!

Just figured out why I smell like food. Kept getting a whiff of something that smelled kind of like a deli. Turns out I had a bottle of hot sauce in my pocket that opened up. One of those days I guess...

I let a coworker borrow one of Jerry's instructional videos on USB. Apparently it got left in a truck doo pocket with the window down and filled with rain water. After drying it for a few days, I just now tested it and it still works. I watched the credits to test it, and apparently Bruce Willis was part of it, high class.

I let a coworker borrow one of Jerry's instructional videos on USB. Apparently it got left in a truck doo pocket with the window down and filled with rain water. After drying it for a few days, I just now tested it and it still works. I watched the credits to test it, and apparently Bruce Willis was part of it, high class.
Bruce Willis has his hands in many cookie jars.

Back