How'd it go today?

Talked with @flushcut today and he was of no help😆. Actually I done f-ed that machine up good and the only way anyone could help was to take me back in time and stop myself from running it. Good talking to him though. He was right about the manual hydraulic jack. That thing sucks to use. Three of us were worn out by the time I got it on the trailer. After that I picked up 25 new mats, gave estimates, and helped the mechanic with his crane woes. Have it down to a bad wire but the wiring diagram must not have been important enough to put in the owners manual. I’m going to be climbing pretty hard the next two days and then off to take that lift back. Hopefully drag another one home with me.

Sorry about the lift, Rich. Seems like most of the issues with portable lifts involve the safety interlocks. Fortunately on my loader the worst I had was a seatbelt interlock and a backup buzzer. On the first day I unplugged the buzzer and cut the buckle off the seatbelt and shoved it into the latch. So I don't even know what it would be like running it with the safety interlocks.

Yesterday (or the day before) I put a new fuel pump in the F350. The previous owner had just replaced it 6 months ago but he used an aftermarket pump. When it got hot I couldn't press the gas pedal down more than 1/3 or it would bog and try to die. The new fuel pump came complete with virtually everyting except for one dinky little brittle piece of plastic called a 'fuel tank pressure sensor'. I think it is designed to weld itself to the fuel pump hat because after 15 minutes of trying to remove it (including grinding away at the locking tab with a grinder) it still broke. Online I can get one for $65 but it was $100 at the dealer and I needed it that day. Once I got it home it only took 5 minutes to button it up. Raising the dump bed gives me full unobstructed access.

This morning I threw a new set of plugs in the F150. Almost 75K miles and it would sometimes take several seconds to start.

Halfway through the day and no climbing. Between setting ropes for the bobcat to pull and an excavator to push They seem to go where I tell them fairly easy. One big white oak had me worried though. As soon as I went to notch it, my saw pinched. I pulled it out and bore cut vertically. Two inches of wood supporting this pig. I walked away and had them give it hell. Went where it was supposed to. Bottom ten feet was just a thin rind.

Halfway through the day and no climbing. Between setting ropes for the bobcat to pull and an excavator to push They seem to go where I tell them fairly easy. One big white oak had me worried though. As soon as I went to notch it, my saw pinched. I pulled it out and bore cut vertically. Two inches of wood supporting this pig. I walked away and had them give it hell. Went where it was supposed to. Bottom ten feet was just a thin rind.

No sounding or plunging as SOP?

Got done plumbing work around 3:00. Last customer had 4 previous quotes. I was number 5 and number 6 showed up while I was still there. She said I did/inspected 3 things that the others didn’t do. She was impressed but probably won’t translate to a job because we’re higher priced (she shared the quotes and scopes) and they are moving ASAP. No one wants a great job done just to give it to new owners.

When I got home I cleaned up some blow downs and large hangers a few doors down in the wooded area behind their home. Got a lot of compression and tension wood practice with a 20” dbh ash laying down still attached to stump at chest height. Also got some “ cripple then winch to break at safe distance” practice on a large top hangup.

I love the climbing work but also thoroughly enjoy some technical ground work. If I go full time in tree care, I’d want to work on a crew where everyone is interchangeable and we’d take turns. Probably too much to ask and too ideal. But still…..

I’ve yet to meet a good climber that isn’t very capable on the ground as well. I’ve met quite a few good climbers that really dislike working the ground, but they’re still pretty good at it.

I should’ve bore it first but the trunk showed none of the normal signs of decay. @SeanKroll
After lunch I showed one of the younger guys how to easily tip spars by undermining the COG. Had wedges palmed in for back up. That went well. Then on to three tall white pines. First one was weighted pretty decent 90* to the lay. Climbed and set a line. Got good purchase on the pull. Started my back cut on the compression side and it opened a touch. As soon as I started the tension side it exploded. Fell about 30* from the intended lay. Not happy about that but nothing hurt. Second was straight and weighted evenly. Line set and pulled by hand. 30* off the lay. That one had us all baffled so the third one still stands. I decided I was done felling for the day. The guys removed a dozen or so more while I walked the rest of that ROW to scout it out. Tomorrow is another day and I’ll be back on my game.

Back