How'd it go today?

@cory
I feel your pain. Actually my pains have dramatically decreased as of late. Finally have a good solid crew put together. We seem to have gotten stuck with the bc1500 though. It’s not terrible but does make it a bit tougher to do large removals efficiently. We’re still whooping the shit out of the other crews production wise.
Spent a few hours this evening helping the mechanic try to reinstall one of the chain feeds in the 2300. Spent a lot of that time cleaning debris out of an area that was “perfectly clear”. We got everything ready and should be able to get it installed pretty quickly in the morning. I’m meeting him at 5:45am in hopes of being ready to roll out by 7am.

Raj - job was actually in your neck of the woods near Brantford.
They are getting the logs milled. By whom I dunno.
That butt log had a sizable chain embedded in it, lol.

Attachments

• 20211110_170625.jpg
    20211110_170625.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
Job got canceled today, Ground too soft for equipment and I did not have a back up anything I could get a hold of. So doing some rescheduling over the phone and took time to trace my issues with the truck that went down yesterday. Guess there is a problem in the harness I put a new switch on. Just a short little bastard that is non existent. So just going to fab one up for another new switch. Turns out I had the wrong fuse in the line as well. Had that blown instead. Amazing the difference in 5 amps when it counts. No new switch local, so order is in. De capped some 38sp while I was fuggen about. New dies I wanted to try out. Maybe take Lilly to town with me and get some dinner figured and a snack.

Showed the boss how to knockout some stakeout today. He said he had a meeting at 10:30, wasn't sure we'd get done, and we'd have to go back. Told him to gtfo, and we got it done with 20 minutes to spare. Could have done it a bit quicker if he was better on the gun. They were mucking out a sediment trap that was being turned into a stormwater pond as it's final configuration, and we were doing contours. Muddy as hell, and there were little fish in some of the puddles. Aside from the hassle of working in mud, it was pretty enjoyable :^)

Stayed home cause of rain. Currently backing up my computer. It's grueling. Placing every bit exactly where I want it on the drive platter...

Did a pollard we do every 2 years. Kind of last minute as our job site scheduled for yesterday and today was too soft to use equipment on from the rain. Lady happy, added onto our work and I got an early day to do crap at the shop. Trailer chipped the tree. And the add ones. Love no having to drag the chipper and something to catch the chips with. Gas prices what they are.

Can chips be put in a pile without some kind of "construction", or do they have to be shot into a truck and dumped?

Just curious. A friend of mine used to get his yard waste chipped by a tree service every few years, and it was left in piles under the trees. At the time, I had no interest in asking, and didn't give it much thought. I'm guessing it went in a truck, and got dumped there.

Also always good to have a list of gardeners near the different jobs. Then if you need to dump off site, free dumping and some even buy the chips. To off set our fuel on a long ways out job, we would chip slash at the shop, deliver it, get paid, then deliver a trailer of horse manure to the same gardener for a small fee later that day. She was close to the job we were at. Better than dead heading. Paid for fuel.

I dump at the local power plant.
Even get paid for the chips if it is enough that I bother go on the weight.

I had another good day today. Working with a tree service owner whom I worked with several years ago but we had a bit of a falling out about 3 years ago. I spoke with him a few times in the past few months and we have reconciled for now. I have a lot of respect for him, he's a young guy and has done very well with his business. He currently does mostly apartment complexes and condos, elevating parking lot trees and trimming palms.

He's currently trying to wrap up a condo job in New Smyrna Beach with over 800 palms. I worked with him Thursday and we had a great day. He was hoping to finish today in order to keep on schedule for next week, but a couple other guys didn't show up. We got a lot done with only 3 guys and they will have a half day on Monday to finish.

He has a small Avant 420 with a BMG grapple, but it won't pick up palm fronds like mine with the 51" wide root rake grapple. The BMG can grab big pieces but you can't use it to gather up a big pile of small stuff. Or multiple piles of small stuff. We were working behind the buildings and around retention ponds so it was a long way to the chipper.

Back