How'd it go today?

No big deal. Local supply just got a spool in. Reason I was asking is that is the bridge on my saddle. Technically speaking, to replace it with anything else is not legit. BRW is the same rope as Hawkeye as far as I’m concerned but in the event of an incident I know that insurance companies will do everything in their power to make it my fault. Bridge failure is the least of my worries but I need to stay in compliance all around.

The BRW is a great climbing line. 16 strand is very durable. Just remember the core on that rope has nothing to do with its strength. A couple of cover strands cut is a huge deal.

Just noticed that you have a blue and green version of basically the same rope. Might or might not be the same. Short lengths are great for lanyards or friction savers if you can splice. Splicing 16 is hard on the hands though. Wear gloves for the bury.

I almost ordered some other line this last time, but thought "What the hell am I doing here?!". It's not like I'm out killing it every day, and I like the rope I have, but I've been wanting something with a better grip, and just see what something else is like. All the rope I have is static, and my one line can almost standup on it's own as stiff as it is. I was pleased to find a usable length of rope. The TrueBlue might be good for something too. I didn't measure that one, but I think it might be close to 50'. That's long enough for a good trial, or to use as a redirect rope in-tree.

I also got a SingingRock Porter for my work harness to tryout. That's a slick piece of gear for only $8. It's no Transporter, but it costs less than the sales tax on that. Remains to be seen how durable it is(plastic), but I really like how it mounts. Kind of excited to try it out. I have two more "pines" to do at the office, so that'll be a good test.

Why "pines"? Turns out they're actually hemlock :^D I started calling them pines cause they didn't immediately stand out to me as being one of the other conifers I'm familiar with, and I rolled with it. I have a pecan in my backyard that was the same way. I thought it was a walnut. I called it walnut without giving it much thought, and it stuck. I was hanging my laundry one day, and looking at the tree, and thought "That doesn't look like a walnut". Kind of explained the pecans on the ground I never gave much thought to. Stupid... :^D

Builders started doing the garage and extension in my place last week. Groundwork first to grade the ground, sort out some drainage and now the first 3 layers of block work done ready for rebar matting, insulation and warmer cable before concrete tomorrow.

Once the garage is done they will be doing a two bed extension over the garage and connecting to the house. Been a long time in the planning and we almost started in Feb until Covid kicked in and I chickened out.

Now it is on though.

B68D2FD8-3CAB-4AFC-A147-30C3D319DABC.jpeg 897EFCD7-B146-41BC-8EA6-45DAAEB1C9EF.jpeg EAA7921A-A3B4-49D6-BC44-ED1F6EB33805.jpeg 3FB8D09A-8D74-4186-B468-00B657711520.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow, Rich, I like your rocks! And that is exciting about a new garage, good luck with it!

Dave, wow those sections look HEAVY! How pray tell did you get the 1/2" camber in there?

Haha, thanks Cory. The whole place is rock. Luckily no blasting for us as the person who built the house 10 years ago had it all prepped ready and ran out of money. So minimum groundwork’s for us.

I am intrigued by the construction technique though. Flatten it all off then dump a load of gravel and tamp it down. Then put some insulation sheets down and blocks on that and build. I hope we don’t get a wizard of Oz style wind coming through as the house isn’t fastened down LOL.

In the UK they dig foundations and then lay the block work on the cement. So it differs a great deal.

looking forward to getting it finished though. Double garage and two extra bedroom should bump up the overall price and make it easier to sell on to a family in future.

This is how it should look when complete.

A9D7BA0A-AE94-4569-B4D7-2F6A4AFB5C5B.png

Wont play for me but that's not saying much.

Interesting info re your construction.

Gawt damn that is some trickeration right there!!!

Why do you put the camber in it, to take the load better later, like an arch? Also like a tractor trailer flatbed that you see empty has an arch?

Compensate for when under load so there isn’t sag is my guess.
made a big breakfast this morning and have been spending the day doing odd things around the house. Trying to get some stuff done before visiting my parents. Dogs got in the creek so I just finished towel drying them and they get to hang out in the 70* garage along with all my climbing gear drying off. Hitting the side work hard this weekend trying to get it all wrapped up for the year. Then firewood splitting season will start for me. Hoping to have everything CSS by New Years

Back