How'd it go today?

I checked out the place just after I posted.

Looks a lot different these days. Change of management and lots of new activities.

I was 22 years old. In the US for 6 months and in that resort for 11 weeks. During the week there were kids from other summer camps. If we were caught with alcohol, instant dismissal. Yet they walked into one of the cabins with about 30 of us partying. JD bottles and beer bottles in sight. One lad instantly dismissed as he had a bottle of JD in hand and 4 other went the same way for having beer in hand...

Yet there was at least 3 large glass bongs being passed around and joints everywhere and they didn’t even mention them.

The weekends were another thing entirely. We were encouraged to fraternise with with the customers and told to do whatever they asked. If they wanted you to drink with them, we did. Plenty went there on the pull for no strings attached sex. On the hole it was a blast apart from the managers treating us like slaves.

Plenty of laughs and memories. There was a trapeze troupe there and we used to fly after work. Wakeboarding and windsurfing in the lake and mountain biking, walking and climbing in the Apalachians.

Strange how they didn't care about the use of drugs. Some of the old gardeners used to tell some crazy stories of the late eighties and early nineties. Orgies in the hot tubs and cereal bowls on the side over flowing with buds and coke.

Not surprising the owners daughter was 3 years older than me and had been in rehab for coke addiction at least 4 times.

The guest were the funniest though... same individuals came back most weekends. They seemed to get a kick out of trying to get us funked up. We were made of sterner stuff than they expected. Often at the end of the night it was the brits egging them on and making them do the shooters and roll joints.

They were always the first to tell you how many illegal substances they had with them and how much they had paid...

I.e this kind bud was 500 USD a Oz.

The best thing was though they ran a monopoly style system to get past liquor laws in CT. for 10 bucks you would get 8 monopoly dollars and paid at the bar with those. The books of fake money were printed in 10’s and someone had painstakingly removed 2 from each book. One day we were clearing out the storage area near the bar and we found 2 large garbage bags full of the 2 torn dollars.

We drank and partied like kings after that score. Haha.

Happy memories. I do recall it was a bit of a nightmare at the time. Long shifts and being exploited all the time but as time goes by you seem to remember the good times.

It was pure hedonism at the weekends.

When I left I travelled to Indiana to stay with the flying circus people and then went on from there and drove 12500 miles around the US with two rock climbers. Pretty much National Park to National Park. Delivering cars, climbing and having no plans.

Last edited:
Sorry for the long post, just checking out their site brought back lots of memories, good and bad. I am just waiting to pick up one of the kids after just dropping the older one at the ferry as he is going training.

How times change eh? Looking back it seemed so much easier back then. LOL.

Last edited:
Funny you should mentioned that... that song out of dirty dancing - time of mylife or whatever it was called, would play for the ones who had copped and were having cheesy dances. The DJ was a dude from NY called Milo, he would stop the tune mid record like a scratcher in the decks... can I get a rewind! Then would play Rappers Delight by the Sugar Hill Gang. That was the signal for a couple of lads from Stoke to start break dancing in the middle of the dance floor. Flares, windmills head spins the lot. We would all be stood around dancing like something of Electric Boogaloo. (Google if you havn’t seen it, break dance classic movie).

So I guess it was a bit like Dirty Dancing, just replace the cheese with a group of off their head ravers, from the North of England.

I don’t think some of the guests knew exactly what to make of us.

Probably already been posted, but what mask works for that smoke situation. Does a basic N95 mask like you wear when chipping do any good?

A day out in code orange makes me feel kinda bad. Nothing I can put my finger on, but I feel like I got my ass kicked a little harder than heat alone. I've never seen any purples. I think I'd just stay home unless it was a big emergency I had to attend to.

From what I'm hearing/reading in regards to wildfire smoke, the N95 masks are better at filtering the micro particulates that wood smoke generates than the other "mask" alternatives that covid-19 has brought into general circulation...but really not all that good. True respirators with disposable filter elements are what's required for properly effective protection.

Indeed. I have and can sport one of those as well. More M13 filters for the box fans are coming as are purifier filters. The new AC I installed this year is a godsend. Keeping positive pressure in the house with filtered air. I mask up for my commute to and from.

Last edited:
Tough day. Started my new job, and didn't get much done with the LOD. Plans are so chopped up they're hard to follow. It's also an industrial area, so it's thick with trashy little trees, and vines on top of vines, on a base of matted vines, and few more vines just in case. I'm not sure using my chainsaw even makes sense, cause the vines are so thick it would take forever clearing them from the trees so they don't get pulled into the road. Brushcutter isn't really ideal either. I'll analyze it a little closer tomorrow.

Also had control issues. Elevations aren't checking between points. Not a huge deal, but it had me walking my ass off checking things, and I have to make sure the control I set will last the job, cause I can't trust what's out there to use as a backup.

Made a new friend, but he didn't stay long. Best part of the day...

20200917_102835.jpg

Cool pic.

We found a rather huge green frog in a brush pile today, probably 5" long, a bull frog I presume

A few days ago, Rich mentioned he put out a ridiculous dollar amount of estimates in one day, $28k or something like that, I was truly amazed. So this afternoon I was sending them out too, got to thinking, hey I wonder what these add up to, couldn't be close to that number Rich mentioned but let me see....

$34k and change. Go figure. God forbid I get these jobs. Too much for 3 guys.

It's like a buddy of mine once said to me, he had recently started his own landscaping company, I asked him how it's going, he says, 'well, it's like this: The good news is that I just sold a $50k job. The bad news is, I just sold a $50k job. :lol:

Exactly Cory. It’s easy to price that amount in one day. Mind you that’s pretty much my full time job now. Even if I get 40% of that, it keeps all the crews busy for 1.5 -2 days. 25-30k in estimates a day seems to be average anymore. Today was only about 14k but I did work with a crew till 1pm and than had a 45 minute drive to start my route. What’s scary is I’ve put almost 9000 miles on the truck since I got it at the end of June.
Today wasn’t to bad. Clocked in at 6 this morning to go to a municipality contract removal. Arrived on site at 7. Can’t make noise till 8. Told the guys to get the saws prepped while I drove to the next on the list to check it out. Got a whole Bunch of crap from the homeowner about how we can’t be there unless it’s a Saturday and the city knows that. I explained that the city contract doesn’t pay enough for overtime, but I’d inquire. Something about how they are both teachers and are doing remote learning. I offered to let them show the class applied science that involved geometry and physics. They’re both English teachers😡. I jokingly said we could teach some new vocabulary. Not well received. It’s a weird situation having a nuisance tree contract. The city can require the property owner to remove trees if found to be a nuisance. I get the front yard stuff, but the back yard shit is BS. City then accesses taxes to pay for it. Anyhow, I left the crew with four small tops and a log to bring down on a dead ash.
Got home at a reasonable hour. Ate dinner and played with the heathens. Now I’m about to cut up 2 pork tenderloins (local meat store had them on sale for $1.39 a lb) and get them in the freezer. I’m pretty happy with myself for having my freezer just about full for winter and spring.

Even if I get 40% of that, it keeps all the crews busy for 1.5 -2 days. 25-30k in estimates a day seems to be average anymore.

Geeeezus! You got a serious dragon to feed there!!!!!

How long is your back log? I'm glad its working out well for ya. :dude:

Exactly Cory. It’s easy to price that amount in one day. Mind you that’s pretty much my full time job now. Even if I get 40% of that, it keeps all the crews busy for 1.5 -2 days. 25-30k in estimates a day seems to be average anymore. Today was only about 14k but I did work with a crew till 1pm and than had a 45 minute drive to start my route. What’s scary is I’ve put almost 9000 miles on the truck since I got it at the end of June.
Today wasn’t to bad. Clocked in at 6 this morning to go to a municipality contract removal. Arrived on site at 7. Can’t make noise till 8. Told the guys to get the saws prepped while I drove to the next on the list to check it out. Got a whole Bunch of crap from the homeowner about how we can’t be there unless it’s a Saturday and the city knows that. I explained that the city contract doesn’t pay enough for overtime, but I’d inquire. Something about how they are both teachers and are doing remote learning. I offered to let them show the class applied science that involved geometry and physics. They’re both English teachers😡. I jokingly said we could teach some new vocabulary. Not well received. It’s a weird situation having a nuisance tree contract. The city can require the property owner to remove trees if found to be a nuisance. I get the front yard stuff, but the back yard shit is BS. City then accesses taxes to pay for it. Anyhow, I left the crew with four small tops and a log to bring down on a dead ash.
Got home at a reasonable hour. Ate dinner and played with the heathens. Now I’m about to cut up 2 pork tenderloins (local meat store had them on sale for $1.39 a lb) and get them in the freezer. I’m pretty happy with myself for having my freezer just about full for winter and spring.
Electric saws, a well muffled engine powering a shredder (not a chipper), and headset comms should keep tree work quiet. I've thought a bit about this since I like quiet.

I learned about that back in the '90s. I was helping with some training of Rangers at Fort Benning and that's what they were using.
FT B, home of School of the Americas, a US training facility to teach Latin Americans how to murder and torture their own people, which from time to time happen to be priests and nuns. Gotta watch that karma, Gary.

Finished stacking NEXT year's wood today! nice to feel like I'm getting ahead on something
Stacking sucks! But it is what it is.

I saw a lotta good stacks in ME a few weeks ago. What do you favor for topside protection from the elements- a roof on a firewood shack, or a plastic top sheet, or full tarping, or nada? I mostly go with nada but a single top covering for each stacked row seems like a nice way to go, too.

Go away, Daniel.

Gary has cut you more slack than any other member here...and you pay him back like this?

Please go away.

I like and respect Gary more than most here (a lot more). Suggesting that he watches his karma is not a put-down. It's an effort to support him in looking at the situation from a different perspective. Perhaps he is unaware of the history of the School of the Americas. I really can't understand how any loving human being would want to conduct military training. Much of the legacy of US foreign policy in Central America is pure evil. Killing priests and nuns who advocate liberation theology runs counter to the teachings of Christ.

I went to a Jesuit school. My teachers knew some of those priests. I also had friends that lived in the war zone in Nicaragua for 2 years. They were completely traumatized by the horrors they witnessed, (hit lists of doctors, nurses, teachers, labor organizers, etc) all bought and paid for by US tax dollars, much of the military training for such mass-murdering conducted at Ft Benning.

Last edited:
The first thing I will say is that without the warrior class society as we know it would not exist. The artists, architects, doctors, teachers, etc can only operate in a peaceful society because soldiers are out there somewhere standing guard.

And, yes, I know about the history of the Rangers. The good and the bad. Condemning the group because of the actions of the few seems racist to me. I've known some bad black guys. I don't condemn all black people because of that.

Don't worry about my karma, Daniel. I think I'm good for now.

Go away, Daniel.

Gary has cut you more slack than any other member here...and you pay him back like this?

Please go away.

I have Daniel on Ignore.
I have to see Burnham be polite about telling Daniel he’s out of line to Gary.

I am not feeling so polite.

STFU and go away. You are so callused by people telling you you’re a friggin' asshole You probably don’t even notice.

again STFU and go away.

Not only are you not wanted here, You are actively wanted to go the frig away you shitty hack who can’t even wedge a tree over, or make good cuts, or...

The first thing I will say is that without the warrior class society as we know it would not exist. The artists, architects, doctors, teachers, etc can only operate in a peaceful society because soldiers are out there somewhere standing guard.

And, yes, I know about the history of the Rangers. The good and the bad. Condemning the group because of the actions of the few seems racist to me. I've known some bad black guys. I don't condemn all black people because of that.

Don't worry about my karma, Daniel. I think I'm good for now.
I wasn't worried... and your statement about "the actions of a few" reflects a world view that has sterilized the US atrocities. It wasn't the actions of a few that did genocide on the native populations in the Americas. It wasn't the actions of a few that were responsible for the death of 3.5 million in SE Asia. It wasn't the actions of a few that overthrew democratically elected governments and supported, trained, and armed brutal dictators in Chile, Guatemala, Indonesia, Iran, Panama etc. Bo Gritz in his 1992 book, "Called to Serve", estimated that the US is responsible for the death of 50 million worldwide from 1945-1992, and he's a former military intelligence officer.

Back