How'd it go today?

Found this girl in the road on the way into work this morning...

IMG_20230414_063917588.jpg

I guess she got hit by a car. I put her in the brush. Dunno how damaged she is. Birds don't immediately handle trauma well, so once she rests up and collects herself, she might be ok. Or not... I did what I could do. She was very soft.

Hmm... an image search shows some variance, but the females are more muted than I remembered. I thought the bird looked a little dull for a male, but perhaps not. Might have been a boy.

@lxskllr I'm a pretend ornithologist and that is most definitely a gender fluid Cardinal. The reason for your confusion was because it had been flying around as a man, but after finding itself cupped in your hand, it decided to become a woman (hence the subtle beginnings of a color change) after seeing how attractive you were and determining you were a man. It's simple science. Birds have adapted this technique to try and grow their species into hybrids with the human population. I've seen it happen. It's well documented.

Last edited:
Routine day. Went to the noisewall. Ever the fun congestion and noise. The guy who's maple I took down showed me some pictures of the neighbor's tree that split apart and came through the fence. Hit the stump of the tree I took out. I didn't forget you @Treeaddict, I asked him to get a number, but it didn't really happen. My guy said we don't really want to deal with the neighbor anyway. Said it would be nothing but trouble.

I'm finally done with my camp turbofoot ascender. I hate that thing so much. It unclips easily, but is also hard to fit ½" line in. I'm going back to my cmi asceder, and I fitted the camp to my ghetto knee ascender. That's a better match anyway. Lighter material, and I can use the cam blocking hole easier if I choose to, On my foot, the hole was pressed against my boot, and fumbling with a little biner trying to get it to work would pretty much guarantee I'd be losing lots of little biners.

5:15 pm. Zip code 21028. April 13
I checked the ADSB exchange database and didnt find anything out of the ordinary, if it was something to do with presidential or political stuff im thinking it wasnt put public like a normal jetblue or delta flight would be
although I see military (blackhawks and chinooks mainly) fly over my place on there all the time
Scary accurate really, its live location and time, found to be exact with real planes flying over my house

@lxskllr I basically just made a crude Heaving Line knot and then attached a 12oz throw weight for extra "ooomffff!" haha Nothing special. I'm a huge fan of the Heaving Line knot. If you were to ever forget your throw weight (many people call it a throw ball; not sure why because it isn't a sphere), you could tie that knot and place a line with just your rope.

my akimbo runs, didnt know that till like day 2 on it bombing out from 30-40ft and couldnt stop, untill I get a new rope that doesnt flatten it is hung up, only really used my zigzag so far since buying it, gone back to the dark side of moving rope

I have problems throwing a rope with any accuracy. If it's farther than lanyard length, I use a throwbag+line.

BTW, I think they're called throwballs cause back in the day they were literal balls. Before my time, but guys here have used them.

edit:
forgot a word. Writing is hard :^D

Last edited:
Just starting to feel a little better from that stomach bug that is going around. I worked all day with it. The last job saw me almost passing out at the table when doing final paperwork. I made it to the truck and got down the street. Put the AC on high and set the alarm for 30 min. Upon awakening, I felt ok enough to drive home. Still weak. Drank so many electrolytes over the past 12 hrs. Trying to get food in my system now.

Spot came for breakfast this morning. I was happy to see her. Every so often she disappears for a couple days, and I worry something happened to that dumb thing. I wonder where she goes when she disappears? She really likes this part of the planet. Almost every time I go out back, she comes over meowing from either my backyard, or the neighbor's side yard. It's strange that she very infrequently doesn't come around.

Did another climb today. Camera didn't catch the canopy action. I was bummed out. Still made a video out of it. It's hard filming myself. Dropping on the channel soon. There was enough educational content worth sharing still. I climbed a beautiful tree. Definitely older growth. Rope walked up.

Attachments

• PXL_20230415_222633458~2.jpg
    PXL_20230415_222633458~2.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20230415_233932164.TS_exported_864777_1681612112772~2.jpg
    PXL_20230415_233932164.TS_exported_864777_1681612112772~2.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 11
@lxskllr Looks more like a squirrel's nest to me. Their nests tend to be less organized from my experience. I tried to avoid it during my climb. When I looked in there were no sign of feathers or eggs or egg shells. Doesn't mean it isn't a bird's nest, though. Interesting that you spotted it. Well done.

Back