How'd it go today?

Wet.

Quick knocking-down of two doug-firs with few limbs and onsite piles for grapple truck service, so no chipping.

Quickly loaded up my trailer pretty full with some 12'6" saw logs and firewood logs.

Home for a dry-off, clothing change, coffee break, TreeHouse break.

3 mile commute back to wrap up the job.

Did slope staking on one of my jobs. I usually run rod on my jobs, or anything that needs have stakes pounded. A running joke is between having the boss on the gun sometimes, and on the rod others, I have the world's worst survey crew :^D

It went alright I guess, but he does stuff stupidly, and irritating little mistakes happen. Slope staking can be tricky, and I'll sometimes make a mistake on the first shot also, but I'll then make a note in the book so I can keep track of what needs to be done. He just tries to remember, and screws it up. Same thing with simple math. Just use the damned calculator that's sitting in front of you. By the time you've thought about it, and made sure you're right, you could have punched the numbers in, and been sure you were right.

Got some new daffodils from that job, and put them in at my house. I also transplanted a Japanese maple seedling. The one I did in the fall didn't make it. Stupid squirrels dug it out, and I stuck it back in, but trees don't like lying on the ground exposed... Well, maybe mulberry does. I don't think you can keep those dumb things from growing. I cut the roots on the maple. Hope it does ok. Hell of a deep root for such a tiny tree. Made grass shorter also. yay...

My hand's looking good where I cut it. For the depth of cut, and all the blood I dropped, it's been amazingly pain free, like almost zero pain at any time. I screw myself up regularly in mundane ways that hurt more than this did. Paying $300 to get it closed was the most painful part of this escapade. I've just been careful to not use the hand much so the cut doesn't pull apart. Stitches are due out Tuesday. I'll do it myself.

Had the renta lift today. 50' towable. Did some hazard stuff with it.
Story behind this one was, we had already taken several down here for her and the neighbor during the beetle fest 05-06. Some crispy and some recent dead. Except this one. It was gown into some oak limbs and I told her I would have to cut them apart tied into the oak to make it happen. Se kept putting it off. Oh, it's ok, not hurting anyone. I told her the longer she waited, the harder it was going to get and more expensive.
Meanwhile, the guy she had come make a totem out of her stump we left for her, last tree later on, offered the fiddy dollah special. By now even face cutting the damn thing was iffy and did not solve the issue of the two trees being limb locked.
Went up lift. Coos bay the top off. Then cut the offending pine limb holding the mess up. I have to go back and yard some from over the creek, but today was lift day. 3 jobs stuff I 'd rather not climb and some hangers. Fodder of da fiddy dollah that made my check today.
IMG_6103.JPG IMG_6102.JPG IMG_6101.JPG IMG_6100.JPG IMG_6099.JPG IMG_6098.JPG IMG_6097.JPG

View attachment 120446

Might have been holding the marking paint backwards eh Daniel?
My youngest sister did that once with silver paint. She decided to paint my bike frame. Came in crying. Whole family trying not to laugh at the tin man.
Mom trying to make sure she did not get it in her eyes choking on being serious and trying not to laugh rendering aid. Luckily, nothing got in her eyes and it is a funny family story now.

Went over my aunts house for Mother’s Day. Big family gathering. Twas a good time.
She did ask me not to encourage all the kids to climb the trees in the backyard 😫. I respected her wishes. The kids did not 😂

Attachments

• 36247A84-29F9-490C-8C9C-59F4B710B57C.jpeg
    36247A84-29F9-490C-8C9C-59F4B710B57C.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 8
  • 9926FF65-7020-4473-8C37-EBB0BCAADE83.jpeg
    9926FF65-7020-4473-8C37-EBB0BCAADE83.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 8
Just after dinner and settling in at about 8:30 a custy calls me. Seems he had a burn pile ember get into some dead wood and inside a hollow limb in a large black oak about 40 feet up. CDF (CalFire) has sprayed water and foam and it keeps reigniting.
He is a tad panicked that he will get fined pretty steep if they have to return again or call in a ladder truck from town.
Out I run again. Sure nough. 12" limb smoking. Foam everywhere. Second toss. Up I go. Make a few cuts and the offending limb is gone. Lit by flashlight. Smoke about gagged me at height. Probably had a nest in it from the smell of it.
Tree safe for now.

Back