How'd it go today?

I’d say the biggest thing I learned was a doubled rope spar tie off. I think someone tried to show me it once before but was using a rope runner and I didn’t like the set up. To much risk of a free fall for me. With other devises or even the hitch climber system it passes the whistle test. I can’t explain how it’s set up so I’ll have to get pictures when I get time. For me in a working scenario it is just as easy to switch to a srt set up leaving a long enough retrieval end to get to my next cut or just re tie to the crane tie in. We did work a lot on correctly balancing picks. In fact, 3 of the 4 stations I was at liked that I wanted to cut straight through instead of a shelf or V cut. And then (I feel very stupid ) Nice Guy Dave showed me that I had lower D- rings on my saddle. It’s been at least 8 years since I moved off the old weaver 4-Dee torture devise and I never have used or known about the lower D- rings.

Lower D's avoid the Circle of Death ( crushing by various split trunk scenarios).

I ran across a guy in the San Juan Islands who had his spinal cord broken by a C of D incident. His employees carried him from truck to mini-x, operated by hand controls.

Just gives you a bigger circle. Still attached on opposite sides of the saddle. Squish is a bit lower. Still on a critical life support part of the harness so rated high enough to crush before breaking

Are you having 4 different hip Ds plus the edges of your bridge (rings or shackles)?

C of D is when part of the circle is behind you.

Clipping in front, at the ends of you bridge keeps the circle in front of you.

Thx for the info Rich.

Fwiw, I always cut on a straight plane, never the Vee cut thought lotsa folks love it.

Err, although a shelf cut is super key when you need it.

Things you do on a Saturday. Nice when the cable does what it is supposed to do. Had to go and now remove the limb that was cabled. Heavy snow snapped it past the cable sling. Or I should say, the heavy snow snapped the tree next to this one and the limbs smacked the cabled limb breaking it. It fell down on the side of the gazebo housing the hot tub instead of smashing the whole works. I think 8 years that limb got to stay. SO we took down all the offending limbs and such. Lilly helped and made some cash. It's ok. HO happy no damage and her garden is getting more light. And she hired Lilly for next week to help with her front yard clean up. Raking and pruning and planting. IMG_6079.JPG IMG_6080.JPG IMG_6081.JPG IMG_6082.JPG

Removed most of a leader with 6 cuts/sections. It was 16” max width and about 40’ long on a 45* angle. Silver maple. Used a rope and 4 wheeler to get a section away from the pool. Did it spurless. Did it in sections to prevent barber chairing aloft. It was not a job I could have done 1 month ago with my (then) equipment, skills, and confidence. I filmed the whole thing but didn’t take any pictures.

Played catch for (2) 1 hour periods with my 9yo. Baseball season just started.

Routine day. Work, and I split some more cherry and brought it home. Got a pic of an osprey through the gun. Didn't turn out great. Hard to line everything up, and not grind my phone lens...

img_20220404_134946233_hdr-jpg.119623

Attachments

• IMG_20220404_134946233_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220404_134946233_HDR.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 36
Worked in the rain. We knew if we started the job we would end up wet. Played hop scotch with mats to get the bucket in and out. Plus had to move them an extra time to turn truck around as it was very tight getting through the gates. Then set up a single run to get the wood out with the mini. Had to pry the mats up with a shovel to break suction. Soaked and covered in mud by the end of it. Changed the oil in my truck when we got back. Spaghetti is cooking now and I’m ready for a shower.

Awesome thread Burnham. Thanks for bringing it up Sean. It’s funny, I actually used the Coos bay (or variation of) on that job. Must have picked it up somewhere along the line but I don’t know where. Now I know what it’s called and it was the appropriate thing to do. I’m not stupid enough to think I’m smart enough to come up with that on my own! I figured it would also mitigate bark tear out grabbing the lanyard and thrusting me into the limb. I did side’s first, then bottom, then top. Top was cut hard and fast.

Back