How'd it go today?

Spot came for breakfast this morning. I always get a little concerned when one of the cats doesn't showup. She was AWOL yesterday, and there was still a little food in bowl this morning. Blackie was probably disappointed. He got first(only) dibs yesterday, and probably expected the same this morning, but Spot came running down before he got to the bowl, so he had to wait til she was finished :^D

Went to the German place to get carryout for me and mom. Couldn't get the big ass beer though. They'll fill a growler, but I don't have one. I guess I should rectify that. Decent day.

Laying out LOD again. Not much fun. Finished the day by almost breaking my finger. I was traveling light, and trying to get some stuff just by pulling a tape. Ended up by the tracks, and had to set a couple wireflags in compacted base. Since I couldn't get a wireflag in, I looked around the tracks for something to drive in, and something to drive it with. Found a couple spikes, and a tie plate(?)(that piece of steel spikes are driven through) to drive the spikes. On the second one I did, the ground got closer than I realized, and I slammed my finger between the plate and the road surface. Hurt like a SOB, and I got blood all over my pants. Also got lucky. Just a little swollen, and doesn't feel as bad as it could. Lame way to end the day though. Going back for more tomorrow...

Got to cut some trees on my LOD job. Nothing great. Just crappy little trees, but I always enjoy the opportunity to run a saw. I probably should have spent more time, and cut more trees, but I feel like I'm playing around when I do it for work, so I cut the minimum necessary. I should readjust my thinking, and do what needs to be done to make the job easier, and if I have fun doing it, all the better.

Met with a customer that gave me a headache. After asking about ways to keep the price down, tells me that she wants zero impact. She wants me to remove a 95’ maple from her yard with no access and not bend a blade of grass. From the road I would need a crane capable of hoisting at a 400’ radius. Not very easy to come by. When I was explaining the removal process and mentioned dragging brush she said she wanted it carried across the lawn, not drug, and wanted us to walk the shortest distance to the wood line and then to the road. I informed her that at $10,000 an hour we can accommodate her needs and call in a favor from the army and helicopter it out with a minimum price of $120k. I then walked away. My boss met me at the door just laughing his ass off. She called in and told him. He told her to lose our number. Besides the headache, I had a great day. I’m going to deadwood five large oaks tomorrow for an obscene amount with a newish hire. This kid is actually what he told us. He’s pretty dang good. Hoping to get it all in a day but I bid It for 2&1/2 thinking I would be the the only climber. The real challenge is the meandering walkway that goes up multiple stairways, through a covered deck, and down other stairways to the chipper. I walked it off to almost 600’ each way. A couple fresh rolls of plastic and buckets of bungee cords for covering railings awaits the crew for 7 am.

Just wear caulk boots and say, you're aerating the lawn.

I had to sit down and rejoice in the fact that I'm not Rico, today.

Got hit on the top of my helmet by a 6 foot 1½" thick dead branch that somehow got knocked out of e beech behind the one I was felling..
Didn't knock me out, but I had to sit down for a bit.
Now my teeth feel funny from having been slammed together.
Earmuffs and visor was knocked off the helmet,but no damage to me.

Jeez stig, careful out there. A little bigger, and you might have spent more time at the house, or further...

Easy day working with the boss. He had stuff he wanted to get done, but I need to get back to my job. Nursing bug bites and/or poison ivy on my arms today. The itching is driving me nuts. Summer can just frig off already. I want to be able to armor up and hit the brush without any god damned insects screwing with me...

Dropped the large deadwood out of a fairly big cherry today. It's on property boundary line with the university, but the largest deadwood branch (22" dia at the trunk) was right over her garden house.
[Note "Hobby Climber" bag, slingshot, throwcube, 1/2" XTC line for relative size]
IMG-9537.jpg

IMG-9539.jpg

IMG-9540.jpg

That is a big cherry. I don't think I've seen one that big; not as a spreader anyway. I've seen some forest cherries that were pretty tall, and moderate girth, but no big yard trees. They seem to fall apart before they get that big.

Back