How'd it go today?

Interesting post Jim, thanks.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JDcnmYDHvO8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I disconnected the batterys for a while, seemed to clear it. No flashing OD and smooth shift into second. Perhaps when the belt took out the tranny cooler line the tranny went into error with no oil.

Good call Peter. Hopefully that's all it was. You're about due to catch a break with it.

I hate to knock other tree workers but at some point this fella in the bucket is going to have to fold that sucker up and skinny on up if they're gonna get the tops off I think. This is happening at my neighbours place. Some decent sized dead firs.

image.jpg

Spent the morning lifting some canopies for cart and mower clearance at the course. Mostly pruners and pole saw, but did start the MS441 a couple times.

About five loads on the little snowmobile trailer got added to the brush pile.

Looks good Peter. Yah limp mode, will normally mean that transmission codes have been set. Given what happened and what you did, I think you handled it the best. Check your fluid warm a few times and confirm the level and just drive it.

Looks great Peter, like it never even happened.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/t3p06sTyZmY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Damn thing was still 360 bucks. Wrecked the fan too, and it is obsolete.

I blame it on the worn out dual mass flywheel on my 93 Ford F 250.

It gets to jumping and lurching when I am loaded, and my temper makes me rev it up and dump the clutch. Second time I have done this.

Thinking that I need a electric fan set up. That and some new cab mounts, and a single mass flywheel.

Jim,

When I bought my chipper the radiator looked like that. The guy before me was turning around in a city park and struck a tree with the chipper he was towing behind him. I love the irony in stories like that. If trees could talk. That would be a fun one to listen in on.

Joel

The fellow from NDSU, Jay Furher, was talking quite a bit about it.

He said he was asked how we were going to feed 9 billion people in the coming years. He said not to worry about it, there is no way we are going to have enough clean water for them if we dont make some big changes.

That kinda hit home. It was very interesting to listen to him and the Dr. For instance, when we grow a crop, we use a lot of nitrogen fertilizer. Not all of that is taken into the plant, some of it remains in the soil, and some is leached out.

A lot of that Nitrate is left behind in the crop residue, little of it is taken off the field in the grain.

When we fallow a piece of land, that nitrate stored in the residue is broken down and released to the environment, by either microbes or weather, where it volatilizes to the atmosphere or goes into the soil and is washed away.

By planting a cover crop, we scavenge that nitrate and store it in the living plant. It is either housed in that plant for the year or is contained in the manure of the animals that ate the plant. What that does is keep that nitrate in the field for a long enough time that it can be utilized by the coming year's cash crop rather than be lost to the air or water ways.

Pretty cool. I did not know that.

That is super cool. And sorta hard to believe folks have figured all that stuff out!

Damn thing was still 360 bucks. Wrecked the fan too, and it is obsolete.

I blame it on the worn out dual mass flywheel on my 93 Ford F 250.

It gets to jumping and lurching when I am loaded, and my temper makes me rev it up and dump the clutch. Second time I have done this.

Thinking that I need a electric fan set up. That and some new cab mounts, and a single mass flywheel.

Or a Cummins that has low end torque.:/:

No he did not, but he spent quite a lot of time explaining the process. We are planning to use the Solvita in the future.

He sent us all with a home test kit for CO2 respiration.

It was good though, a lot of the science was not new to me, but my wife learned quite a lot.

We learned about dung beetles too. Stuff like how a healthy population of dung beetles can help control flies, and some cattle wormers are less harmful to dung beetles than others.

Jay Furher talked quite a bit about all the Nitrates that are being released into the rivers and how covers can really help.

The fellow from NDSU, Jay Furher, was talking quite a bit about it.

He said he was asked how we were going to feed 9 billion people in the coming years. He said not to worry about it, there is no way we are going to have enough clean water for them if we dont make some big changes.

That kinda hit home. It was very interesting to listen to him and the Dr. For instance, when we grow a crop, we use a lot of nitrogen fertilizer. Not all of that is taken into the plant, some of it remains in the soil, and some is leached out.

A lot of that Nitrate is left behind in the crop residue, little of it is taken off the field in the grain.

When we fallow a piece of land, that nitrate stored in the residue is broken down and released to the environment, by either microbes or weather, where it volatilizes to the atmosphere or goes into the soil and is washed away.

By planting a cover crop, we scavenge that nitrate and store it in the living plant. It is either housed in that plant for the year or is contained in the manure of the animals that ate the plant. What that does is keep that nitrate in the field for a long enough time that it can be utilized by the coming year's cash crop rather than be lost to the air or water ways.

Pretty cool. I did not know that.

I have to read the directions again, and try to understand the idea behind it, but from what I gathered you take a certain amount of soil and place it in the supplied jar. It needs to remain in that jar for a set amount of time and then you stick this little stake in it. I think it measures the amount of CO2 that is being released by the soil. There is a piece of paper on the top of the stake that resembles litmus paper that changes color and you match to a supplied chart.

I did not really understand all the CO2 discussion, I wandered away for a bit and took a leak and then got into a conversation with a produced about his dry land corn, so I think I missed that part.

Something along the lines of CO2 in the soil being released and used by the plants to then be put back. I think! Not sure if more CO2 or less is better, which signifies a healthier soil. Will look that up.

Jim, would you mind if I posted this stuff in the FFZ thread or the Alternative land use thread? There's a lot of good stuff in these 2 posts and it might get lost to anyone following the hows and whys of your land changeover in the other threads.

Good work, Grendel...I've done some solos, too...and wished someone was on the ground to help.

Sure was glad to see that chainsaw come out. That last limb you were working looked like a pain.

Back