How'd it go today?

How does the Camera View option work, Chris? I didn't opt for it, but it looks easier than sighting down the edge of the phone.

The camera option works very well, it is much easier than sighting on the edge of the phone and trying to hold it still till you can see the screen to get your reading.
I didn't bother getting a reading on the tree i removed yesterday, it was kind of a steady arc
IMG_20151121_091904306.jpg

And finished it off with one of my best hinges. As it was a heavy leaner I bored in to set my hinge and somehow I managed to get it level with the notch!
IMG_20151121_133058166.jpg

Beautiful pics guys, good to see what your neck of the woods looks like this time of year Stig. I know you're camera shy but would love to see a work pic or two.

All of ours are buried since the 99 storm that left the country without electricity for a while.
Didn't change the per kilowatt price.

bunch of driving around today taking sister to Dr., friends, and went to bank. came home to large hole & mud puddles in the front yard left from fiber optic installation. suppose I'll end up cleaning this up...

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 43
well, they shoved the piles into the hole and will be back next spring to clean up...or so the guy running the tractor said when he came back past and I'm out there levelling out the mess they made...%$^*&#*!....there got that out of my system...

I heard that some people were cutting some large Beetle infested trees at a close by shrine, so I went to see the activity. I found out that I knew the crane op and the guy in charge of the cutting. Some of the local residents were there helping out too, dragging brush and burning it, so I figured that I'd volunteer my services as well for a couple hours, already had all my gear in my truck. They offered me a very nice lunch that the people in charge of the shrine had brought in for everyone, along with sake. Ended up working two full days on interesting removals. :|: One of the locals called my up this morning and said that upon conferring, they had scraped together some funds to pay me as well. :) I sure wasn't expecting it, thoughtful folks.

Back in the spring Dave? Hell my boss is still planting grass here. You should know from your ROW days that things get forgotten by spring time. Keep after them and they will eventually show up.

Finished up another ditch clearing ( cleaning) project for the county today at dark. We should be slowing down a bit but it doesn't seem like it. The greenhorn and another guy were out there Saturday making a mess and dulled up the 362 pretty bad. It was the perfect time to have him try sharpening. I acquired some fancy looking file guide from Stihl at the expo and figured if he can use it and it works, it's worth having. An hour later he had a sharp saw. It took way to long but it was sharp. He was also very proud of himself and was much more useful than he's been in quite a while. It was a good day.

Yeah I'm not expecting to see them in the Spring Rich. Line Clearance promises was the first thing that popped into my mind:lol:

Nothing wrong with a guide if it helps them get the job done. Co. up North wanted me to instruct everyone on saw sharpening, but made no time for it...I referred them to the little roller guides Husky sells.

I spent about 1/2 hour leveling things out just 'cause it's going to freeze again tonight. I can live with it...and whoever "they" are can kiss my A**. Didn't get a company name.

I was more worried about if the gel they were using for a lubricant (snotty crap was all over) would be detrimental to the dogs. He explained it was a bentonite clay/water mix, all natural and non-toxic.

Jay: Well done. That's really cool.

Rich: Well done. I'm amazed that you took the time to show a new guy how to sharpen. Good day indeed. I've got to start to do more of that stuff... it's well worth it.

Had to Jed. There are 21 employees and only two of us can do it efficiently and we're both on the same crew. And both tired of sharpening for others. We are trying to make a climber out of him. He's learning knots at the moment. Ideally I want everyone on my crew to be able to do any aspect of the job effectively. Kinda like a super crew

Wow Dave, your yard almost looks like mine lol. My day was different to say the least, "boss" decided to fire my buddy/skidder op, so I ended up running a 562 by the rear handle because the boss didn't own a top handle saw. Now I guess I'm cutting and skidding solo for a min

Rich, do you know about Madsen's Saw shop site Madsens1.com http://madsens1.com/muu_barchain.htm as a reference for guys to understand chain?

So many people have half-true ideas about chain. Part of the battle is teaching Saw chain 101 to a bunch of guys that know half-true stuff, is that they don't know which half.

That'd be amazing Rich. Good luck.... for me... training is probably THE most frustrating thing related to our line of work.

I miss not having any tree work tales to share with ya'll.

I are with sadz. :(

I understand Butch........I have no tree stories either. I did knock down a bunch with my loader over the last week though.

Rich, do you know about Madsen's Saw shop site Madsens1.com http://madsens1.com/muu_barchain.htm as a reference for guys to understand chain?

So many people have half-true ideas about chain. Part of the battle is teaching Saw chain 101 to a bunch of guys that know half-true stuff, is that they don't know which half.

They also have some good stuff on tuning, and on piston failure.

I really haven't done much with either a saw nor a tree for a couple of years .However as soon as the frost melts away this morning I am going to drop a 50 foot spar left from a 100 foot wind blown top of an ash tree .Most likely get 40 or so feet of clear saw log and a little firewood .I got a tad over a cord from the top so far .

Back