How'd it go today?

So I topped and dropped a super sketchy hard maple today. Sorry I didn't get pictures.

Set the rigging and my climb line in an adjacent tree, would have been a pretty good swing for me, but it kept the lines out of the way.

The tree was up on a little hill, over the living room of the residence. It was really only half a tree, as one of the main leaders had blown out a few years earlier, leaving a giant cavity/included bark area. The whole barrel was hollowed out below the split. The remaining leader had a pretty good hook to it, as the tree had been trying to balance itself out. I shimmied up until I could get a good handle on where the hooked-top was wanting to go, then notched and dropped about a 20' top into the rigging line.

It was pretty windy today, about 14 degrees, and I was having a hard time keeping my balance on my Kliens, as the wind was rocking both trees pretty good. But all in all everything went well. Zipped everything up into 2' for the splitter after we dropped the stem into the driveway.

That was the first time I've had to spike around a big split like that, took me a minute.

Trimmed a couple of cabbage palms and dead wooded three big long leaf pines. Last week the HO showed me another big dead pine on the corner of his property he wanted removed but when I got there today, it was gone. No one knew who had taken the tree down or why, it was just gone. I've known the man for years and done some other work for him and he's an honest guy. The tree had been lightning struck awhile back so maybe someone cut it for fat lighter? It's a mystery, and a little cash out of my wallet. Gorgeous weather here Grendel, 70s and calm. The Gulf was like glass this morning, should'a went fishing.

Ugh, Ray, tell me about it, my mom is down there right now. Looking at -4 tomorrow. At least I won't have to wax the skis eh? ha

Take care my friend.

I slayed two red oaks and one pine with a 22 ton and an idiot CO. I was glad when I was rolling up my rope!

Went to the chiropractor last night to try and sort a recurrent back injury, crawled out of bed on all fours this morning, couldn't stand up till 10am, seems to have eased up now, thanks to tramadol!
At 50 you think that every incident like this could mean the end of ones climbing days, work's been good lately, making a few quid, machinery all running good, I spend a lot of time trying to work out how I can get out of the harness and keep the money rolling in.
Young bucks who are competent, careful, and reliable are not easy to find, and I don't want to get into the whole employment thing out here, I like being a two or three man gang, means I don't have to work if I don't fancy it.
Ideally I would buy a bigger grinder and spend more time pulling levers.
The clock is ticking....

wraptor!

I am not sure why anyone else is up right now, but I have been trying to save a calf for the last three hours. I think she is gonna make it.

nite nite. or is it good morning? Awe hell, I'm going to sleep.

Some of us are in a diffrent time zone, that is why.

I'm 8 hours off from you.

Thank for the suggestion, it's not only the actual ascending but the yanking, pushing, stretching, lifting etc that goes with mucking about in trees.
Bit better today anyway.

Definitely the whole package, but suppose the ascending adds 10-20% effort/ strain on joints/ energy, and can be reduced to 5%. You can also come down and rest and get off your harness. Stephen CursedVoyce uses his effectively, and would back the recommendation, I believe.

It could last for the rest of your career, so you divide it out...

I have it on my list, or some sort of powered ascending system.

Opened up a big white pine for a neighbor today just a little, to provide clearance for her phone antenna (yes, we live in the stix). I was wondering what you guys think of this cut as regards leaving a stub on older trees? I think I might have left it a little long, but I remember a discussion about leaving longer stubs on mature trees in order to give CODIT and the branch protection area time to ramp up.

DSC03607.JPG

DSC03606.JPG

DSC03605.JPG

DSC03604.JPG

Now, I'm going to see about buying a couch.

I've never heard of leaving the stubs long. I cut them at the collar. Maybe that's wrong, now, but I haven't gotten the bulletin.:/:

I totally agree that stubs are ugly, and potentially dangerous in many situations. If this had been a removal, or if there was a window nearby, no way. Just speaking from a tree physiology standpoint I'm wondering if this is preferable to a collar/flush cut.

I totally agree that stubs are ugly, and potentially dangerous in many situations. If this had been a removal, or if there was a window nearby, no way. Just speaking from a tree physiology standpoint I'm wondering if this is preferable to a collar/flush cut.

All that wood extending past the collar will have to rot away before the collar can properly close.

Back