Holan bucket truck outriggers, the rebuildening

Being in line, especially when the shop has regular, big dollar customers, and waiting on parts, can take a while.

Significant self- sufficiency pays in a lot of ways.

Skilled pros, who can handle it it all, are worth their expense.

Consider renting a dump trailer or outfit your trailer with a chip box.

I have a chip truck, and small flatbed trailer with a 5 yard box on it.
I use both.
Moving my chipper and trailer to the tree with my mini, where I can't get my chip truck, saves lots of moving material to the chipper, sometimes making it a no drag/ forwarding job.

I want to make a lifting jib for tipping my chip box trailer. Currently, my mini and my neighbor's tractor can lift the trailer 45⁰. Easy to unload some in different spots on the customer's property or my own.
Tip, rake some, move, tip rake move.

I have lots of use for mulch at home.
My neighbor will unload chips for his use, at his place.

If I secure the sides of the trailer to the stake pockets, he will be able to lift the whole trailer up to empty it with his log loader. 1,2,3 ezpz.

I have friends wanting chips. I can drop off a loaded trailer to them, and they can return it to my shop or jib site after emptying.

What grapple to you have/ do you have a tow hitch for your mini?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Being in line, especially when the shop has regular, big dollar customers, and waiting on parts, can take a while.

Significant self- sufficiency pays in a lot of ways.

Skilled pros, who can handle it it all, are worth their expense.

Consider renting a dump trailer or outfit your trailer with a chip box.

I have a chip truck, and small flatbed trailer with a 5 yard box on it.
I use both.
Moving my chipper and trailer to the tree with my mini, where I can't get my chip truck, saves lots of moving material to the chipper, sometimes making it a no drag/ forwarding job.

I want to make a lifting jib for tipping my chip box trailer. Currently, my mini and my neighbor's tractor can lift the trailer 45⁰. Easy to unload some in different spots on the customer's property or my own.
Tip, rake some, move, tip rake move.

I have lots of use for mulch at home.
My neighbor will unload chips for his use, at his place.

If I secure the sides of the trailer to the stake pockets, he will be able to lift the whole trailer up to empty it with his log loader. 1,2,3 ezpz.

I have friends wanting chips. I can drop off a loaded trailer to them, and they can return it to my shop or jib site after emptying.

What grapple to you have/ do you have a tow hitch for your mini?
ive got a branch manager grapple, empty I can move the dump trailer on level ground, the chipper is 8000 pounds, my mini will lift the jack off the ground and fall on its face as soon as I try backing up, and the tracks stall out going forward
ive got a dump trailer (7x14, 24" sides) ive thought about chipping into, except its normally a 30 minute drive to the job and only one truck, ive actually looked at towing doubles but id have to have a gooseneck dump trailer for that to be legal
I can make the sides taller I suppose, then Id have to take them down to load logs
my setup, dump trailer is to haul the skid to a job, and haul logs only, chipper chips everything thatll fit, usually pay a guy $20 an hour to tow the trailer to a job and drag brush or come back the next day for the wood myself

the 14 yard box on the bucket truck lasts me half to a full day, cant imaging only having 7 yards (what my trailer is unless I make taller sides)

still no word on my hydraulic cylinder, its been just about a month, I was told 1 week, im going to call them monday and see whats up (closed on saturday, and close at 3pm on weekdays, no wonder they cant get any work done)
if its not done by the end of the week im going to go take it back and rebuild it myself, atleast they have the part numbers for the seals and its apart now, might even have the seals already

almost all they do is rebuild cylinders, I have a company I use for anything hydraulic except re packing cylinders, and they probably do but I know a guy who said he could get me a deal from this other company...

Top shelf service costs top shelf dollars.

Saving a few bucks while a major piece of equipment is down is not worth it.

Hope they have it ready, soon.

Top shelf service costs top shelf dollars.

Saving a few bucks while a major piece of equipment is down is not worth it.

Hope they have it ready, soon.
yup, and these are the guys everyone in town including other hydraulic shops told me to go to!
rough numbers, but since im shut down its cost me ~30 grand in lost work and days off at this point, having to turn away jobs and losing them since IDK when I can get to them

Well, if nothing else you learned that the tools to fix this are cheaper than the cost of hiring others. Those lathes are gonna start to look cheap soon enough.

Well you'll make a phase converter with an extra 3 phase motor and some spare parts, and in time you'll slowly collect enough stuff to slowly detach from paying others to do what others deem impossible. I've worked all sorts of different jobs, some loaded to the gills with cash and some limping along with worn out junk, but at the end of the day it comes down to know how and determination to succeed. Sometimes you'll make so much money you can't find guys quick enough to pay to do stuff for you, other times you might be down to the wire spending your last couple bucks on a part to keep rolling, knowing that if you fail you can't feed your kids.

I've quit a job in Ohio to go to western Iowa for a weld test (if you fail you don't have a job) with 50 bucks in my account, taking a nap at a gas station while waiting for my direct deposit to hit so i can fill up to drive again, all for a chance to get a higher pay and to be a couple hours closer to the house. During the hire in test my personal welding machine catches on fire, faulty wiring, but I'm able to put it out before it burns my $1000 a month truck to the ground. Had to finish the test with another guy's machine, passed, then had to go weld xray pipeline with a junk rental with no remote until i could get parts shipped to the hotel and fix it in the parking lot after work. I couldn't fail or the unthinkable would happen, so i didn't, and maybe sometime in your life you'll find yourself in a situation where you must act like Cortez and burn the boats, where failure just isn't an option. In my line of work that's the standard for a welder, and everyday on xray jobs you are welding for your continued employment. Some thrive on the stress and some buckle, and being forced to work on your own gear can quickly escalate to a similar fail/succeed moment.

If you can't do it yourself you may wake up to find where you are totally out of options and have to give up. By learning how to fix and build things yourself you can lower the costs and investments into tooling, and can beat competitors by your unstoppable willpower alone, to push through a project and advance yourself. I'm not a great mechanic by any means, but I've saved the day more than once by my know how in fixing stuff, and as i get older and learn more I'm getting better and better. Just learn everything you can about everything you can, work hard, and with some luck you'll be fine. Welcome to the rat race, it stops when you hit it big or finally give up, I've met a handful of guys that hit big and the rest of us grind it out til we can't anymore. Everyone agrees that if you know the trade and can get the work and the financing it's usually best to buy new, but at some point knowing these skills can make or break you.

thats the problem with equipment, either you can afford it, or you cant, itll nickel and dime you to death if you cant afford it, but when you can, you buy spares so you can drop one off at the dealer and forget about it
that aint me, not much I cant fix but I didnt feel like sourcing seals, buying a spanner wrench, wrestling with the cylinder, and possibly messing something up
honestly, if I had the cash laying around I would just order 2 replacement cylinders if I can spec one out, highly doubt altec will sell me them for a 31 year old boom
starting this business is both the best and worst thing ive ever done, and thats saying something

Yup, life sucks then you die.
truer words have not been said
I often question, what is the meaning to life? there has to be something other than work, make kids, die, decompose, become tree, someone cuts tree down again, then they too die

Life doesn't suck, then you die.

We live a highly privledged and pampered life, overall, for a very long time.

Appreciate it.
comes down to perspective
id enjoy life much more if I could be out partying, smoking weed, going to 6 flags and having fun
I mean, I could, but I dont, I spend time running this company, paying off debt, once thats paid off im working 4 days a week at most and using all my free time I can, especially since I will be able to afford it when that money isnt going into someone elses pocket
I only need to work 4 days a week to live comfortably with plenty of money to save up anyhow, I might be retired at 25 if I can keep this up, all starts with paying off this stuff first

Is your toilet water also drinking water quality?

Are you free to take on responsibility and direct you own life?

Do you have a family safety net?

A societal safety net?

Any warlords in your neighborhood?

Suicide nets outside the factory you work in?

Do you work in 3rd world conditions?

Is your toilet water also drinking water quality?

Are you free to take on responsibility and direct you own life?

Do you have a family safety net?

A societal safety net?

Any warlords in your neighborhood?

Suicide nets outside the factory you work in?

Do you work in 3rd world conditions?
maybe, wouldnt drink it

unfortunately yes

not much, we are all broke

again not much, I dont get along with people very much, not much help I can get

dunno what that means

no comment

almost but no, atleast I got a helmet, old wore out equipment, no AC, heat stroke and seeing funny things is normal for me in the summer

all of this is 100% my fault tho so dont feel bad for me
I could do things better, I just havent put the time into learning how

Back