Holan bucket truck outriggers, the rebuildening

WoodCutr

Treehouser
blew something in my bucket truck outriggers yesterday, pulling both out and troubleshooting currently

hole dug to drop the outrigger into, and truck lifted up to make for less digging, revisit tomorrow if it's not raining

More pics to come
Wednesday Feb 15 6:15pm

I was told this may be a good thread, you know who you are.

Attachments

• 20230215_160501.jpg
    20230215_160501.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 20
  • 20230215_132457.jpg
    20230215_132457.jpg
    6.3 MB · Views: 19
WoodCutr told me the upper side of the outriggers doesn't look like my old Altec outriggers with a single large pin holding the cylinder in place. The picture he showed me was completely foreign to me, I have never seen that setup before. WoodCutr, get a couple more pics of the upper end of the outriggers so we can figure out how to remove them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
WoodCutr told me the upper side of the outriggers doesn't look like my old Altec outriggers with a single large pin holding the cylinder in place. The picture he showed me was completely foreign to me, I have never seen that setup before. WoodCutr, get a couple more pics of the upper end of the outriggers so we can figure out how to remove them.
Will do tomorrow, here is what I have for now

It seems those 2 big nuts in the slots are what's holding them

Attachments

• 20230215_173718.jpg
    20230215_173718.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20230215_173713.jpg
    20230215_173713.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 5
Thursday Feb 16 12:10pm

Pin holding the outrigger is stuck, tried hammering, using the nut as a press, bouncing on it with the skidsteer, it won't budge at all

Attachments

• 20230216_121117.jpg
    20230216_121117.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13
Hate when that happens. Try a rosebud on a torch, and maybe even some wax to soak in there a bit. Also try a portapower, i got one years ago from harbor freight that has saved my ass over and over again. This is why never sieze and grease are your friends!

Hate when that happens. Try a rosebud on a torch, and maybe even some wax to soak in there a bit. Also try a portapower, i got one years ago from harbor freight that has saved my ass over and over again. This is why never sieze and grease are your friends!
Can't use a torch, between grease, wiring, holding valve and hoses

Although since it's getting fixed I'm half tempted to just go buy one and just fix whatever melts

Nothing for a portappwer to press against either, but I can fab something up easy enough

Tried a little 1.5 ton bottle jack since that's all I have on hand that fits, not enough oomph loompas for it, gonna see about borrowing a portapoelwer before I buy one, although I'd rather spend the money just to have one anyways

Thermic lance. “ can’t be tight if it’s liquid”

Take everything off that can be melted and what can’t be removed wrap in kwool or a welding/fire blanket. Heat and cool in a few cycles with a torch but if all else fails thermic lance is the end all final word on the matter. I may suggest hiring a professional.

You're likely gonna need heat, those are made with a close sliding fit so it's gonna be a bitch. You will be better off pulling all that other stuff so you can go at it with the right stuff. You may end up lancing it out, but with enough heat and force it should move. Depending on how bad it is you very well might need to have it machined. Stuff like this is why it costs so much to have work done, and doing it without the right tools you can mess it up even worse than it already is. Good luck man!

The other side pin pops out with one hit of a hammer, not a very tight fit at all actually

Can't remove the outriggers without taking this pin out, and cutting the truck up, it's all welded together

Heat isn't an option, too much stuff to damage that can't be removed, I'd hire someone to fix it if that wasn't thousands of dollars

I've had the pins on the foot like that, but never the upper pin. Maybe see if you can rotate the pin to unlock it before beating it out. May even need to weld a lever on the end for leverage so you can turn it. Once it turns you should be able to move it and push it out.

If you destroy the pin you can always have a machine shop make another one. I've had to do that a few times.

It will probably cost you thousands anyway regardless of who does the repair. Sometimes you have to destroy some smaller things in order to do a repair. Welcome to machinery ownership.

Are the cylinders leaking down when you raise the truck up or just leaking at the gland? If the cylinder rod has a nut on the end the gland seals can be replaced without pulling the cylinder apart to remove the piston, that’s if the cylinders aren’t leaking down.

Got a portapower, about to have to get the 20 ton jack for it

Attachments

• 20230216_170545.jpg
    20230216_170545.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 13
  • 20230216_170143.jpg
    20230216_170143.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
Are the cylinders leaking down when you raise the truck up or just leaking at the gland? If the cylinder rod has a nut on the end the gland seals can be replaced without pulling the cylinder apart to remove the piston, that’s if the cylinders aren’t leaking down.
Pissing fluid out on the ground, don't leak down but lots of fluid loss

I've had the pins on the foot like that, but never the upper pin. Maybe see if you can rotate the pin to unlock it before beating it out. May even need to weld a lever on the end for leverage so you can turn it. Once it turns you should be able to move it and push it out.

If you destroy the pin you can always have a machine shop make another one. I've had to do that a few times.
Tried to turn the pin, honestly think the truck would turn over before that pin turns

How about taking a 5/32” 6010 cranking the amps to way too hot and getting some localized heat on the pin then melting some wax on it?

I am sure the pin is seized to the sleeve on top of the cylinder. You will need heat but getting it there will be difficult that’s why I suggested the 6010 route.

Back