HOBBS mod

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It is my understanding that the newer HOBBS have a steel bollard and you can weld the socket on instead of using the bolts I used.

And if you want to have something to turn it under power i recommend a hand held threader, it'll easily have enough torque to turn it.

I was referring to what's commonly called a power pony, it's a powered version of that. It's a handheld threading machine for pipe and conduit, which applies an absolute ton of torque, more than enough to break bones. You'll want to add a bar on the base so it can't spin, but it'll easily supply enough torque to lift stuff. The Ridgid 700 is the standard, they're pricey but can be found used, and they make a square drive attachment for them.

ridgid-700-c-1-2-2˝-1000-1000-PICN13933-3083865293.jpg

I've obviously never had a hobbs and powered one by them, but I've used them a ton for work and they're built to be used and abused. I cannot stress enough how much torque they apply, it can seriously hurt you if you aren't careful, i consider a chainsaw a safer tool :lol: But if you really wanted a power version it would definitely fit the bill

Well the hobbs is direct drive, there's no gearing, so a power pony is about the only thing out there that is geared that low to provide that much torque. It's designed to be run against a stop of some kind, either a pipe clamp attachment or a pipe wrench and sch 80 nipple in the holder for it, on small stuff you can hold it back but as it gets bigger it'll easily overpower you. If you've ever hand threaded 2" you'll know that even with the 3' handle it's a bear, and that thing does it effortlessly. A hobbs still doesn't have a self tailer so you'll need to pull the end too, or you can add the wheelbarrow wheel on a lever so you can simply jam the turns into the drum, that works so well I'm gonna convert mine into an over center spring one so it'll lock in place.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Make dat sum bitch remote control!!! If only I had time in excess. Too many irons in the fire. Bathroom, deck railing business shit. But that would be cool.

I do it because I'm poor and i have to :lol: For me this is business stuff, and I've built all my lowering devices i have. I also build stuff all day everyday. If you want to use a rigging bollard and have powered lifting, that's a way how to do it.

Is it 22:1 in one cranking direction and 44:1 in the other direction.

I haven't pulled out my GRCS in years.

Do you have the link for that 4" ratchet strap? Or a name brand?

Back