Modern gear vrs old. George Mallory and everest

It's the Sherpas who open up the routes and maintain the fixed lines at the start of every season. Tibetan prayer flags and always a framed picture of the Dahli Lhama are on the summit. (Includes constant replacement)

I can't believe people go up there and litter. It should take more than money and a retarded bucket list to be allowed to climb.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

IF-AD361_CASH_O_J_20171201155645.jpg

Exactly ... The Sherpas are like me and Treework. It's done completely for the money , that is all. (Whether particularly gifted in skills or even into it) it's simply an exchange of trade for cash. Many Sherpas never go higher than Base Camp. Good living to be made packing in Beer and Food.

Well that's personal but generally yes , sometimes I can't wait till it's over ... Do the Job , Get the Shekels safely. ( The idea of a recreational climb is remote to me , Climbing Comps , would sooner race my truck ... )

I can't get excited about climbing comps either.
As in, not at all.

Going to California every once in a while to climb the world's biggest trees for fun, sure can excite me, though.

The entire thing makes me furious. People pay to have all the legwork, gear hauling, and amenities taken care of because they couldn't make the journey on their own otherwise. A sea of O2 bottles and trash everywhere because it's too difficult to bring back down what they need to carry up in order to survive the climb. They carry all that crap up because they literally couldn't survive the climb without it. Most humans don't belong in that environment. In my opinion, anyone who wants to try should have to do it on their own without the local help. If they die, they die; it would help fend off the people who have no business being there.

I hear ya! I was always taught "pack it in pack it out" I don't know why it gets forgotten on Everest.

Back