Good Morning!

D says, "Let's read books!" as soon as she wakes. Literally, she picks her head up and is ready to go. She told me it was morning (daylight peaking through the curtains). Ready to go. I like to get a cup of joe made first, if I wake up first, but not today. Nellie Gnu and Daddy, too, a favorite.

After a couple books, she gets to watch Curious George or a bit of other PBS kids. We go to Kindergym on Mondays, too. Preschool on Tuesday mornings, and off to work.

Have to give this solar firewood kiln some thinking. It would be great to back a loaded trailer into it. Rain is coming, and I need to get a little more protection on the stacks, at least. Summer time, it can be a greenhouse for peppers and potatoes and tomatoes. Maybe just frame in one removable wall with the windows in it, facing south. That way, wood can be thrown in, without obligating a trailer. Seems like I could use another trailer for work. Maybe buy a title-less cheapy.

Probably better just to make a hoop house out of plastic and PVC.

For sure. Some very bad flooding in various places from our recent big visitor. Both the coastlines are questionable places to line. The east coast gets the typhoons and tidal waves and the west coast has the North Koreans kidnapping and enslaving the residents.

He's doing ok. Just learning to help on ground. Stays busy, and has good attitude so far. He's older and mostly just loads chipper for now. Seems to enjoy the work, and isn't against learning to fit in to our way of doing things.

If he stays I'm going to have to invest in another Comm Helmet I think. Pretty near forgot how frustrating communicating without them can be.

rainy here again. A bit of running around to do this am, then off to play some music with friends this afternoon.

footnote: transporting a Double Bass in the cab of a pick-up sucks. I really need a cap on this thing.

Sounds good Dave. I got to play a three quarter scale upright once. I was drunk enough to even give it a good twirl! She took it away from me after that!

Do you ever record any of your stuff? One of these days I am going to record part of one of our gigs and post it.

That way I can discourage a whole generation who want to play by ear and never learn to read music!:)

Jim, I have been in the studio a few times recently, cutting Bass tracks for a Sax player I know. His project is in the Blues/Jazz genre.

I've agreed not to share anything publicly until a final mix is done.

Also been rehearsing on Banjo with a band for cutting a bluegrass recording for promotion purposes. This project will be in a home studio and much of the engineering and final mix-down will fall to me.
I've not run digital equipment before so it should be a real learning experience.:|:

"The names contrabass and double bass refer to the instrument's range and use in the contra octave below the cello, also called the 16' octave relative to the church organ.[8] The terms for the instrument among classical performers are contrabass (which comes from the instrument's Italian name, contrabbasso), string bass (to distinguish it from a brass bass instrument in a concert band), or simply bass."

He's doing ok. Just learning to help on ground. Stays busy, and has good attitude so far. He's older and mostly just loads chipper for now. Seems to enjoy the work, and isn't against learning to fit in to our way of doing things.

If he stays I'm going to have to invest in another Comm Helmet I think. Pretty near forgot how frustrating communicating without them can be.

To me, its worth having a back-up set-up. If one goes out, and you only have two units, you're back to yelling and slowed production and decreased safety. My headband unit for my crane operators has already paid for itself on one job, I'm pretty sure. I just needed to save 45 minutes over the course of 6 hours. When I went to his crane shop the other day, he handed me his credit card, gave me the keyboard, and told me to get 3 on the way to him.

I suspect that if you want him to stay around, saving everyone frustration will help him find his niche, and it will pay for itself in a short time.

I can't say enough about how well I like being able to communicate, and run the jobsite from the air. Less stressful for me, helping me to do my thing up high, and keep them working efficiently on the ground, getting me on the ground, helping, that much sooner.

Agreed!

I'm just caught up in trying to be done with climbing for the year right now, and money is going into other things. I'm hoping this will be my last week, but not counting on it.

I've got 2-3 weeks of stump grinding yet to finish my big-for-me stump job and really want to knock it out before the snow flies so I don't have to finish it next spring.

Hoping the engine in my chip truck lasts through what I have booked. Been running on 7 a couple years now and seems to be getting worse...might be losing another cylinder. I'm not in the position to replace it so not sure what I'll do. May be major changes in my near future and I'm a bit iffy on investing much in equipment right now.

Up early, a bit. Told the guys 9, not 730a. Maintenance and firewood for them on a rainy day. Why get up early. I have to do a bunch of dreaded administrative work, which by the end of it, should make me happy and organized, as well as moving forward on getting checks in the door from invoicing and scheduling new work.

Phone has slowed. Thankfully. Phone has slowed, when will the next service request come in? Have a tree evaluation on Saturday for some large maples belonging to two water front property owners. Probably will need some pruning on their large bigleaf maples.

Got my APTA. Hoping for better results than my bigshot. Generally, my biggest problem is that I bounce my throw weight of the branch I'm trying to sneak over, while staying below the next, and just outside the trunk. Height will be consistent, at least. Now to get a high power pump. Seems that 80 psi gets me about 35-40', hand throwing range. Should be interesting to see 150-160 psi.

Back