Good Morning!

Man now you guys have got me reminiscing. Seems like summer lasted 1/2 the year. Yes, forts! and tree houses. wore out several bicycles.

I spent much of my time, when younger, on the end of a shovel creating drain fields and dry-wells at my Father's insistence, when I attracted his attention by getting myself into a jam.:lol:

The Mom's in our neighborhood use to take turns feeding us lunch as we were all playing out as a group daily.

I can't imagine that it is so different now about safety, but maybe parents worry about their kids being outside all of the time? Even when in grammar school there were no restrictions about where we could go as far as being far from home, just be back by dark or around dinner time. The only rule I can recall is being told that if anyone that we didn't know ever asks us to get into their car, then run away. Other than that it was an open world in every direction. A pretty heavy punishment for doing something wrong was having to stay on the block for a week. :lol:

I have a couple early memories of striking out in the big world. I had a little kick and glide scooter. I remember being quite a way down the road when my Dad's car came out of the drive and I could tell he was taking a long hard look in my direction. I was worried he would read me the riot act. He went the other way. I bet he was somewhat amused and a bit concerned at the same time.

The other was biking a little farther every trip until I reached the village I went to school at. 5 miles. I think I was 6. By myself it seemed a long long ways.

I was hitchhiking (with my parent's blessing) everywhere I went at 13. I even hitched to New Orleans at 16, what an adventure. You don't see people doing that anymore.

My last one ('77) stunk so bad I had to ditch him at a store. I gave him a couple bucks and told him to go in and get us a couple Cokes. As soon as he was inside, my ass was outta there.

I had a great time hitching up to British Columbia (destination Hornby island) from Southern California. My brother was living on Hornby. Sometimes alone in the woods when it started to get dark was a bit spooky. I met some really cool people that allowed me to crash at their place for the night. I had a few great hitching trips, one through central and Northern California was particularly enjoyable, and like the Creedence song, I too was once stuck in Lodi. I remember being low on funds and eating a canned sardines on French bread sandwich while waiting at an on ramp there. Turned out to be a wondrous meal. Saw some beautiful country during that trip I can recall, particularly around the Russian River. Nice feeling when someone passes then you see the brake lights come on, and there is wisdom written on light poles.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/w0VDnQv-rLA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last time I picked up a Hitchhiker ('87?) I got stabbed. Ended that....
Good God! Yeah, that would sour me on the experience too!
My wife wants to pick up hitch hikers once in a while, I wont do it, ever. She always tells me it is okay, but I tell her there will be no murdering in my pickup.
Hitch hiking is kind of a way of life in other areas, she said everyone does it in New Zealand, and her friends that have been overseas tell me that it is an accepted way of travel in a lot of areas of Europe. I dont recall if her brother hitch hiked in Japan when he was there.

You know, I hitchhiked around the world for about 10 years when I was young. Didn't stab a single person.
I wonder what is wrong with me?

When I went up to see Burnham, doing an early morning speed run from Arcata Ca. To Portland Or. in my rented mustang, I picked up a hitchhiker ( I ALWAYS pick up hitchhikers, have a lot of payback to do). Going east on 199 with absolutely no traffic and making the tires squeel in every turn ( Of which there are many on 199, twisty mother) I noticed he was turning a bit green.
So I asked if he wanted out. He said he was fine but: " Dude, how many speeding tickets do you have?"

Now......

Good morning peoples.

It's snowing a bit outside this morning, so it's a great day to be working on saws in a heated shop. :)

And, it's morning yet again.

Cool here, snow on the ground. My ducks and guineas are chowing down on some corn......life is pretty good here. :)

Back