Good Morning!

Long morning here . I'm getting my gumption up to crawl back under the house and finish my lighting job . I'm less than enthusiastic about it .

On my second pot of coffee here and trying to talk myself into geting out the hedge trimmers to clean the place up a hit for the big party next week. Better get something done as I came home from funeral and mostly slept the rest of the day and night. Might have pushed myself a bit hard last week at work.

Wife is out shopping for some hip boots and and something that floats for the swamp job I am doing. Been awhile since I climbed in waders and not really looking forward to next week.

Just got a call this morning from an older client (older in more than one way). She asked if I would thin her Ponserosa and cut it into fire wood and split it for her for half the fire wood.. Basically cut down 5 perfectly healthy 100 footers below the house in the Chowchilla River canyon up against National Forest..... She has been trying to get me to cut these 5 trees for going into 3 years now. I refused again and referred her to some one else. People sure think wood is gold around here.
Also... Only 3 other trees would have to be cut in order to help the larger ones in the stand. Not to mention I don't work for free or wood...

Just tell 'em it's like trying to sell ice to an eskimo(inuit for the politically challenged err I mean correct). I Lmao when people start talking about value in their wood, yahhhhhh you keep it all then.

You can't blame them for trying. Would a firewood guy take them for free Stephen? Pine is pretty crappy firewood from my experience. Keep you warm carrying it all in the house.

Hmm and all this time I only figured idiots in Ohio thought their yard trees were worth a fortune . Cut it down for the firewood,when cows fly maybe .:lol:

I have cut one tree down for the value of the wood some years back.
It was a large black locust, totally covered in burls. Black locust is an introduced species here and not very common, the burly ones even less so.
It would have been a good deal, if the owners Porche hadn't been blocked up for storage under a tarp beneath the tree. Not the kind of car you want to drop a branch on, so the takedown took just about forever.
Still, I got some nice wood out of the deal, that in due time was coverted into bowls and sold.

Took a couple large oaks down for the wood last fall. HO owns a dumpster co. I cut down the trees and he and his sons cut up, split, loaded and delivered two twenty yard dumpsters full to my house. Heating bill wise it was well worth the afternoon.

That rascal Tom did take down a tree once for barter .Ended up with a pretty nice Cadillac out of the deal too .

Seriously though,90 percent of the time the trimmers get the wood anyway .Why in the name of good sense would they barter for it .:?

I have a guy coming this morning to help me who I have used a couple of times and he actually is punctual, so I had better be ready.

I'm just finishing up a chair for a doctor in his eighties, with his own clinic. He collects chairs. He's paying $3400 for a nice one. I took the commission through a gallery, so I'm getting 75% of that.

Back