Fuel prices

Complaints everywhere i look, but folks around here are still driving like bats out of hell. Guess it's not as serious as back when long groups were tailgating each other and drafting any bigger vehicle they could find.

Perhaps, if government spent the monies approprietly and shat actually got done in timely fashion, folks would be accepting of the taxing. However, that is not always the case and a lot of skimming and greased palms later, not much gets done. Or they completely renig on what they said they would of would not do with the money in the first place. Whole damn system needs a reset.

fully agree about needing major overhaul. If they started cutting hands of stealing politicians, it would change things.

Not meaning it as a snooty Grammer Nazi, but fwiw it's renege. Just a word nerd. I have to use it to describe a certain parent's chronic behavior, lately, a lot.

People get upset with renege as it is.
I, personally, wouldn't use niggardly, a legit non-racial word, if I recalled what it meant.

Nothing to apologize for.

I didn't know how to spell it until recently.

If it was throwing stones about spell checking and formatting, people could offer me some Windex for my glass house.

I learn through my own efforts and others' insights and contribyooshuns.

This guy that I'm currently working for is just back from 4 years in Japan. He's a recently retired, 53 year old Army Colonel. The BS'ing I mentioned in the other thread was part BS'ing and part discussing some the current state of the world and US. I always appreciate hearing other people's legit perspectives.

He and I live in very different worlds, and are able to have good conversation.

He was saying that the politicians and the broken system are a huge issue, as many here say...something many can agree upon.

Sean, that scenario is floated by a number of politicians and "Highway Advocacy" groups who only see it as another cash cow to milk us the general population with. The fuel tax (when properly inflation-indexed) is actually a better method of doing "road funding", especially when (and in spite of) being controlled by govt. Electric vehicles might have to be "user-fees", unless their electricity to their vehicles is properly taxed (if at all possible). If the roads were privately owned, your scenario is a potentially more realistic option to remunerate the owners, but then that would limit building/maintaining of roads to a lot fewer owners, and a reduced availability to manage to scale. It''s one of the few areas I'm not hostile to govt. actually managing, because they should then truly belong to "we the people", but the sociopaths in govt. don't allow us to see it that way, as they claim to own them over us. There's a lot more detail/nuance to this, which we can discuss verbally on, if so inclined (I'm a tad busy at the moment).

;)

Rather than reduce taxes that fund roads, the government should be giving people strategies for increased efficiency.

Fill your tires with air.
Combine trips.
Offer to pick things up at the store for neighbors.
Phone-first, before you go to see if what you want is actually available when shopping (anyone else remember that?), as possible.
Buy more per trip, ahead of the need, rather than getting a little bit at a time, as possible. This can save money, too, when you stock up when there is a deal.
I don't want to shock people here, walk places, ride a bike, take public transportation, etc.

Best strategy would be to reduce engine size.
A soccer mom really doesn't need a car the size of a school bus with a big V8 to bring the kids to school.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I just bought a 2013 Ford Fiesta as a run around car. $400 bucks. Does very well on fuel for sure. It’s a little four banger. Base model damn thing doesn’t even have electric windows! passed smog easily. I’ll replace the timing chain and recharge the AC but that’s about all I’ll do to it
I call it my festering fiesta lol

Attachments

• 76CF5233-A7CA-4D28-8A92-5D92F02CE641.jpeg
    76CF5233-A7CA-4D28-8A92-5D92F02CE641.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
Back