Fuel prices

Thank Biden!!!šŸ˜

They have nobody to blame but their self. Itā€™s my understanding that they reduced production in the North Sea and concentrated on wind and solar. Now their commie cousin in Russia has cut them off. Iā€™m all broke up over it myself.

If only there was a formality energy independent country that was still energy independent to fill the void.

Hmm, $122/2300 miles of driving= $.053/mile. If I'd have been able to use the normal charger instead of supercharging for that $45, it'd lower my cost per mile to $.041

I've put a little over 22k miles on electric cars in the past almost 9 months, works out to ~600 miles a week on average.

Regular is now at $4.76 and diesel is $5.76. BTW, if you think you're saving the planet or even saving money in the long term by switching to EV's, just stop and get a clue.

Sorry for the derail all. I figured I might coax out some info without the heated environment of the war in Ukraine thread. I have read a fair bit of that thread.

Maximalist I'm sure you're a good guy, but I think you may have ingested some koolaid. The U.S. didn't start its troops across the border into Ukraine, kind of start there and you might develop a shift of perspective, a bit. :) Then figure in the oligarch yachts bank accounts etc, might get you riled up being a hard working guy for your money.

Just dropped another C note on gas. Doh!

But I heard a Tesla battery pack change sets you back $22k u.s.

Regular is now at $4.76 and diesel is $5.76. BTW, if you think you're saving the planet or even saving money in the long term by switching to EV's, just stop and get a clue.

Why so angry? I see these types of comments pop up in social media, but I miss the conversation that brings them on. A factory made to create electricity burning fuel has economies of scale to burn that fuel more efficiently and with less waste the same amount of fossil fuels in thousands of vehicles that are horrifically inefficient at converting fossil fuels to kinetic energy.

How many years can a Tesla battery last?

My battery is warrantied for 8 years/150k miles. In general the projections are the batteries will outlast the car. A good starting question is how to define the useful life of a car battery, ie what percent degradation is reasonable? In ~17k miles my battery has reportedly degraded ~1.9% (entirely negligible).

I donā€™t figure (most) folks buy Teslas to ā€œsave the planetā€ any more than they do to save money. They just want a Tesla!

-I like autopilot for safety and convenience, it's huge and is hard to understate. I kept the S and sold the Y primarily because at that point, the S autopilot worked far better than the Y. To my knowledge, no manufacturer's version of autopilot comes close Tesla's performance for the driving I do.
-The performance is awesome, the top speed is fun but not overly practical. The acceleration from Tesla can't (practically) be beat in a daily driver.
-The convenience of filling up at home, always having a "full" vehicle is very nice. Similar to having my bulk diesel tank for the work trucks.

In 22k miles of driving Teslas (since 9/21) vs a "sporty" sedan burning $4.92 premium (local cost) at 15mpg, I've saved around $6200 in energy costs. Compared to my F150 burning regular at Brett's $4.76, I've saved $5500 in energy costs. This is me driving 22141 miles using ~$1038 in energy including super chargers(which cost more per kW). Only charging at home would have saved $300-400. This is excluding the savings of free (to me) charging at various places (like the hotel on my last several trips). With these savings I could replace my battery twice during the warranty period's 150k miles.

My average consumption over the 16.6k miles on my model S has averaged 335Wh/mi. A gallon of gas is 33.4kW, my battery holds a nominal 95kW, or the equivalent energy of 2.8 gallons of gas.

A 2022 Honda Civic EX Turbo getting 36mpg averaged is one of the most fuel efficient gas only cars currently made... that works out to 928Wh/mi of energy, 2.76X higher energy consumption than my literal supercar's average lifetime consumption. My more efficient car weighs 1800lb more (3klb vs 4.8klb), is all wheel drive, has autopilot, and replenishes its energy at the house. Speaking to performance, my car can go from 0 to 60mph, stop, then 0-100mph before the turbo'ed Civic managed 0-60mph.

We're up to 2.08/liter. I didn't top everything up before the jump because one day soon it'll jump again and I can stockpile it at 2.08/l the day before and think that I'm somehow ahead of the game.

Diesel is approx 6.50US a gallon here at the moment.
Can vary from 1.99 - 2.26 AUD per litre

A head of iceberg lettuce is going for 12AUD in some places because the recent floods wiped out vast swathes of lettuce farms. KFC is putting cabbage in their burgers and wraps as a substitute.

My gas pick-up was on E, $169.xx to fill. Most expensive tank I've filled.

Seems like possibly the oil companies are making a lot of money.

Back