Climbing cocconut trees with spurs

Going down can be more perilous than climbing up, as anything else.

THAT is very true. Before we used to rappel down trees we spiked down. I hated it then and still do.

Spiking is relatively easy on vertical spars...leaning/curving trees can be a challenge. And critters in the crown is big uh-oh.

Palms are like grass on steroids more than is a tree.
They don't cut, hinge, chip, burn, decompose etc. as easy nor as cleanly as wood , as is not same biology nor structuring.
In hinging, the more flexible part of the hinge is on the innards that have less leveraged steering than the outers like can count on in real tree.
They are a monocot, if the mono growing tip is injured, game over vs. dicot tree of multiple growing tips and regrowths.
The layers are kinda reversed, to where the goody/honey runs to center not outer layers (as tree does).
You don't get the callousing when violate outer as is kinda a deadish corky non-woody exterior, but can make an invasion port.
>>the pic shown of devastation is years of damage would think
>>and not even smart enough to throw ladder/tie to stem up for first 20' or so at that.
It is thought that the outer dead, and inner honey build protects the honey-ish from blazing reflected heat upwards on bright sandy beaches.
Where a 'normal' tree could not take such abuse so much under the cap and has the hoeny-ish on the outside, more exposed in this model.
You usually can't repel, so must also walk down too w/spikes.
Going down can be more perilous than climbing up, as anything else.
Spiking is seen as more acceptable, necessary but still try to play away from it.
Also, many palms coated with old, loose 'boots'/frond ends if not whole fronds on the way up.
This can stop a bicycle that needs a clean run.
If palm is like that on stalk, and not being paid to remove that only trim head, don't want to disturb stalk loose fronds as that part of look and get buried into trying to make it look right, and end up cleaning most of stalk as messed up on the loose fronds or just boots/ends left and not trimmed.
Can also be too deep to get spike thru to hit real meat to hold on to, and can't get bucket to all.
So climbing more of a foot feel of solid or slipping, fast motions and dividing weight to hands, lanyard and feets, feets scrambling in posittrack if start to slide etc.
The looseness of old 'boots' /ends of fronds or the whole fronds them selves can also slide from under you and from above you.
You can get trapped, actually smothered from downward slide of disturbed column of loose fronds etc sliding down onto you as try to climb.
This can also be serious weight.
Some palms have 8" needles on fronds with nasty algae growth unseen but irritates. Needles seem to be leaflets starved of light near base of palm that has feathery leaflets up stalk of frond. Some have pointed 150# seed pods that invert as cut and can go thru someone on ground or pet etc., literally .
All this can hide many nasties: rats, roaches, fire ants. bees, snakes etc. Rat running down leg while cutting is rather distracting for some reason.
Several times been at top, trimming head fronds on spikes and lanyard , saw running and snake pops out of head; really got to hold your water and not swing saw around cuz all it has to do is hit that 1/2" rope lanyard 1x and there ain't no branches to break fall on way down...
Many over trim palms 'hedging ahead' to not have to trim again so soon, aiming for 10-2 o'clock or less
Really 9-3 or whatever just takes brown not green food supply and water draw machine.
As only small 'flower top' of limited green drawing water and food processing for whole plant;
now trying to draw water up maybe 80' with barest green sprouts sticking out only at 12 o'clock etc. as bad omen.
We don't get coconuts this part of Florida.
Palms nice to look at, but hated working'em.
No offense sir but you talk way way too much! I can barely skim over your posts. Just being honest!

I have no idea what what the reference to honey and honey -ish is!
As the OP asked specifically about coconuts, the safety issue of loose frond bases is not as serious as other species, they tend to shed the fronds and bases and fabric fairly well, especially if there is a hurricane or two that goes through ever so often, older coconuts especially.
I spike up, install an adjustable friction saver with my main line just below the head, throw my lanyard over and around as many secure fronds as possible, take up and sit in it (having the double bridge my lanyard is central) and get to work.
Going down, spikes out, transfer to mainline and rappel down, sometimes transfer to the adjacent tree midway down and work along the line that way.

I saw a technique used in Russia while visiting in 2003, that worked similar to a tree bike. It worked great on Norway Spruce with down sloping branches and European White Birch with extremely tight crotches. The other major tree worked on in the Moscow area was Scotch Pine. I will try to attach a photo. Basically using 2 lanyards. The one hooked to the saddle was long enough to allow for working out on the limbs once the working height was reached. Looked good for palms to me. View attachment 117958
The video gives a better idea of this method - As far as I know, this method is actively used only in Russia.

Last edited:
I bet that's the elaborated sap with the sugar coming from the fronds.
But the fronds don't leak sap.
Anyway, at the end of the day de-nutting coconuts, it's a refreshing drink ready packed, and the rest can go in the truck for the next day!

So sorry, but palms and trees that are compared are most alike besides standing tall, in persons and tools used to work them.
The dynamic growth green part for photosynthesis is single and small to rest of biomass in especially palms.
Post photosynthesis sucroses that plants feed off of, in trees are close to surface , at more risk of insect, spike, heat risks. But in palms this royal jelly runs thru center, much more protected from tropical heat and white sand reflections, as well as insect feeding on the sweets and spur damage. Damage does not incur ice expansion in habitable areas as another consideration, and is mostly to corky bark rather than capillary vessel. Have cut palms down with similar devastating outer damage as in pic to be absolutely pristine to vitals in undisturbed perfect circumference inside, w/o fault.
Plants draw water and dissolved minerals powered by transpiration while kept tight in tight cohesion chain for efficiency of the weak pull.
This is all green draw on the straws to ground. Raping palm to a mere tuft at top is not the way to properly care for these vital mechanisms even in the name of can extend service intervals. Can say violates 2/3 rule, but should aim higher and leave all dynamic/green biomass. Tree is a misnomer here from these aspects.
Long meat piercing spikes, insects, rodents and snakes are some of the risk rates not seen in normal trees. Some places absolutely impossible to trim palms w/o 2" long roaches/palmetto bugs crawling face, arms and legs, but the fireants more painful , especially as can react more in concert.

Last edited:
Ditto the excess removal of fronds to supposedly increase maintenance intervals.
As older fronds age they relocate resources to the newer ones, so excessive removal of lower fronds can slowly starve a palm. Also the older fronds help support the newer ones, removing them can lead to the new ones collapsing, thus needing removal and so the ever increasing downward spiral. It's slow, but relentless.

Date palms are very prone to infection if spiked.
No spike entry is best if there is a large dead skirt on the palm - folks get crushed and smothered when they spike up from below and the skirt breaks loose.

Shooting a line over top, and base tying is what I've done.
Nick uses a remote release with his drone to place lines when they are too high to throw or shoot accurately.

Spikeless palm prunes:
Before and After - 2019 in LA
First photo (Oscar took the photo of me) is just getting started).
Second is finished and ready to pull the climb line.

Third photo is the maze of thorns on a Date Palm.
Fourth is NickfromWI's reaction to me up in a date palm along the driveway of a famous singer.
Palm01.JPG

Palm03.JPG

Palm04.jpg

IMG_1416.JPG

I HATE date palms. Will not take a job to prune one, or price it way high.
Washies, yep rope over top is best. I was once spiking up a washie and at one point my spike sank in with no resistance, it was all punky, scared the whatsit out of me. Got it done, last time I spiked that one, mind you the house got sold never had to go there again.
Washies just feel unstable as well, my second least favourite palm.
During hurricanes, washies have a tendency to snap off, others bend and bend, and bend and sway....

And snakes and rats! Only been partially inside a date palm once. Cut my way in like tunneling through the thorns to reach snd remove the seed heads. Now I like a Queen palm - a stout palm for windy days, Washingtonia are too crazy for me even with a little wind. Nick sent me an emoji text:
🛫🌴🛬💰
To say he bids date palms so high he can pay to fly me out to LA, and back, and pay me well to prune a date palm, and still make bank.

Now here Phoenix gets a lot of attention because fusarium is killing them, due to tool transfer.. saying dirty tools pass it on.
lots of handsaws, they say the cs can not be sterilized. They are still cool though… scary how the head can just fall off… w decay etc. Parrots love them.

I had a rat run at me out of a Chinese fan palm, and I've lost count of the roaches and ants. Good thing Bermuda doesn't have snakes or scorpions.
Getting a shower of palm compost...yuk, yukky, one has to shut off your imagination and spit it out, bleagh!

Yes, that's correct. No snakes.
The only native reptiles are skinks. Actually an endemic species.

Back