Climbing cocconut trees with spurs

MikeC44

Treehouser
We have a house and about 3 acres in the philippines. We have several cocconut trees that have a lot of nuts on them. Some of these trees are 50 feet high. We sometimes have a local climber come out and he climbs the tree with no safety gear, just his hands around the tree. He drops the cocconuts and we process them for local sale. It really bothers me to see him shinney up those trees, Im afraid he will fall sometime and I dont want that. The Swiss climber thing is over 2k to purchase, I wonder how much damage the spike climbers do to the trees. Nobody around here uses them. In fact my next to our prop is a large area with trees and a lot of them have knotches cut for the climbers. How much damage would I do to my trees if I bought a good pair of climbing spurs and a harness for the climber to use. I dont want to hurt the trees, but I really dont want a climber hurt either. All replys are appreciated.

I've never done it nor seen it done, but youtube tells me that a good palm tree climber using a sling for his bare feet has no problem getting it done the old fashioned way.

Well not many coconuts in Wisconsin but from what I understand is that they can tolerate spiking. The damage is more cosmetic that harmful but I am not 100% sure. I can say somebody here does know.

Last edited:
So,
I've been spike climbing coconuts for years. It's easy and effective.
Whilst of all the trees I've climbed are still growing, producing nuts and stable, the tracks are ugly. I've not had one tree die from spike climbing, but it's ugly after a few years.
There are many who do it spikeless, if I were still in a country with coconuts I would seriously be looking into going spikeless somehow.
A thought however, if there are any inherent palm fungal diseases in your locale, spike wounds could be an entry point.
Generally the spike holes dry out and you are left with a hole or divot a bit larger than the original hole. Very occasionally I've had a spike hole kind of ulcerate and become quite large.

... preservation Trees shouldn't be climbed with spikes , that being said Palms aren't real Trees (imo)
Indeed, being monocots the vascular system is quite different. Spiking, while not ideal (any injury is potential entry point for problems) it does not have the same immediate impact as spiking a dicot.

I saw a technique used in Russia while visiting in 2003, that worked similar to a tree bike. It worked great on Norway Spruce with down sloping branches and European White Birch with extremely tight crotches. The other major tree worked on in the Moscow area was Scotch Pine. I will try to attach a photo. Basically using 2 lanyards. The one hooked to the saddle was long enough to allow for working out on the limbs once the working height was reached. Looked good for palms to me. 114.JPG

Look into the “ one sticking “ method that saddle hunters use. Not very fast, but looks relatively safe and effective.

You all just learned me quite a bit on this thread.

Have you spoken to your climber about different means of entry? He has been doing it like he does for a long time probably. He may not see a need or may not want to do it differently- even if it is safer.

Most of serious coconut palm climber's who don't use gaffs?

Use a method very similar to mine when removing tall skinny fastigiates.

While I rely on gaffs for secure footing, a simple short two foot rope tied between your feet, on your side of the trunk, provides sufficient vertical traction to move your arms up the trunk with a climbing/felling line between your hands on the far side of the trunk, allowing you to ascend quite smoothly and quickly like a monkey.

You've got a rope on both sides of the trunk, only lack of physical fitness n dexterity are life threatening , IME/observations of my Polynesian brethren.

Jomo

Where I live in Tucson arizona, that is how 80% of the palm trees get climbed. The rest are trimmed from a lift. The way your local climber gets the coconuts have been done for thousands of years only recently has man come up with different ways.

Have you talked to him about what he thinks about safety gear? If he doesn't use or need spikes I wouldn't press them. Spikes are just a way to make things easier, not necessarily a safety aspect in my opinion. but maybe a harness and a lanyard he might think is a good idea. I wouldn't push the idea to hard because he might not come back to help you.

I have also seen a guy use a rope to srt climb palm trees without spikes. That is a whole other skill that he may not have the want or the means to learn how to do.

Let us know how things go.

We have had some discussions in The TreeHouse about this subject, you can do a search if you like. Basically, Bermy hit all the high points. Mainly, spiking is not going to kill the palm.
98% of our tree trimming is getting coconuts off palms. Most so that is in Key West where we have to use a ladder before being allowed to transition to spikes. Ridiculous, but we have to follow the laws down there.
When a Palm gets too tall making it dangerous to trim, we remove them. Purely for safety. Key West is a densely populated island and falling coconuts can be deadly.
All that said, the most important aspect of any trimming is the safety of our climber.

With the very acute angle between the bases of the fronds, getting a line up and over and down without it getting jammed is the issue for transition to SRT pruning. Not to mention retrieval. It's been done somewhere though.
The ones I climb (have climbed) were on a beach down a hill, steps and terraces.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Where I live in Tucson arizona, that is how 80% of the palm trees get climbed. The rest are trimmed from a lift. The way your local climber gets the coconuts have been done for thousands of years only recently has man come up with different ways.

Have you talked to him about what he thinks about safety gear? If he doesn't use or need spikes I wouldn't press them. Spikes are just a way to make things easier, not necessarily a safety aspect in my opinion. but maybe a harness and a lanyard he might think is a good idea. I wouldn't push the idea to hard because he might not come back to help you.

I have also seen a guy use a rope to srt climb palm trees without spikes. That is a whole other skill that he may not have the want or the means to learn how to do.

Let us know how things go.
Thank you for this reply, Your right, Im at our house in the philippines right now, and was just discussing this with my brother in law, (philppino), he thinks if I just get a harness that I ask the tree climber to use, he an skinny up the trees without using the spikes. The tree climbers here are not very big and so really even if they use spikes they prob wont dig up the trees that much. I think when I go back home I will get a pair of small spikes and a good harness set up and then bring them back here. We have a really long bamboo pole that can reach up into the trees that are only 20 or 30 feet tall and cut down the cocconuts, but even that is hard to use and sometimes you dont get all the nuts. Thanks for your help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks to all that replied to my question on using spikes for harvesting our cocconuts. Based on the responses I prob dont have to worry much about damaging the trees, but the best approach may be to simply buy a good harness and ask my climbers to at least use a safety harness around the tree when climbing on our property (we pay them to drop the cocconuts). My main goal is to make sure no climber falls when working on our trees, so if they have the harness on , the worst thing would be a little lost skin on a slip down the tree. These guys seem to have great strength in their feet and with a rag type thingy tied from foot to foot they can go up the tree pretty fast and back down to. Ive learned a lot from the comments on this forum. Thanks to all your a big help.

Based on the responses I prob dont have to worry much about damaging the trees,
It seems that you should read again Bermy's post n°5. Not killing the palms doesn't mean that no serious dammage will occur on them. Some pics were posted here a while ago, showing such dammages by repeated spiking. Pretty nasty.
Whilst of all the trees I've climbed are still growing, producing nuts and stable, the tracks are ugly. I've not had one tree die from spike climbing, but it's ugly after a few years.
A thought however, if there are any inherent palm fungal diseases in your locale, spike wounds could be an entry point.
Generally the spike holes dry out and you are left with a hole or divot a bit larger than the original hole. Very occasionally I've had a spike hole kind of ulcerate and become quite large.

T Collins posted it...

screenshot_20201113-152501_google-jpg.104875

I couldn't think of how to find it earlier, but the number of times I wrote of "palms" is miniscule, so that made it easy to search.

I recall an other one, with the stippe badly hollowed along the spike's tracks, probably involving a removal.

Palms are like grass on steroids more than is a tree.
They don't cut, hinge, chip, burn, decompose etc. as easy nor as cleanly as wood , as is not same biology nor structuring.
In hinging, the more flexible part of the hinge is on the innards that have less leveraged steering than the outers like can count on in real tree.
They are a monocot, if the mono growing tip is injured, game over vs. dicot tree of multiple growing tips and regrowths.
The layers are kinda reversed, to where the goody/honey runs to center not outer layers (as tree does).
You don't get the callousing when violate outer as is kinda a deadish corky non-woody exterior, but can make an invasion port.
>>the pic shown of devastation is years of damage would think
>>and not even smart enough to throw ladder/tie to stem up for first 20' or so at that.
It is thought that the outer dead, and inner honey build protects the honey-ish from blazing reflected heat upwards on bright sandy beaches.
Where a 'normal' tree could not take such abuse so much under the cap and has the hoeny-ish on the outside, more exposed in this model.
You usually can't repel, so must also walk down too w/spikes.
Going down can be more perilous than climbing up, as anything else.
Spiking is seen as more acceptable, necessary but still try to play away from it.
Also, many palms coated with old, loose 'boots'/frond ends if not whole fronds on the way up.
This can stop a bicycle that needs a clean run.
If palm is like that on stalk, and not being paid to remove that only trim head, don't want to disturb stalk loose fronds as that part of look and get buried into trying to make it look right, and end up cleaning most of stalk as messed up on the loose fronds or just boots/ends left and not trimmed.
Can also be too deep to get spike thru to hit real meat to hold on to, and can't get bucket to all.
So climbing more of a foot feel of solid or slipping, fast motions and dividing weight to hands, lanyard and feets, feets scrambling in posittrack if start to slide etc.
The looseness of old 'boots' /ends of fronds or the whole fronds them selves can also slide from under you and from above you.
You can get trapped, actually smothered from downward slide of disturbed column of loose fronds etc sliding down onto you as try to climb.
This can also be serious weight.
Some palms have 8" needles on fronds with nasty algae growth unseen but irritates. Needles seem to be leaflets starved of light near base of palm that has feathery leaflets up stalk of frond. Some have pointed 150# seed pods that invert as cut and can go thru someone on ground or pet etc., literally .
All this can hide many nasties: rats, roaches, fire ants. bees, snakes etc. Rat running down leg while cutting is rather distracting for some reason.
Several times been at top, trimming head fronds on spikes and lanyard , saw running and snake pops out of head; really got to hold your water and not swing saw around cuz all it has to do is hit that 1/2" rope lanyard 1x and there ain't no branches to break fall on way down...
Many over trim palms 'hedging ahead' to not have to trim again so soon, aiming for 10-2 o'clock or less
Really 9-3 or whatever just takes brown not green food supply and water draw machine.
As only small 'flower top' of limited green drawing water and food processing for whole plant;
now trying to draw water up maybe 80' with barest green sprouts sticking out only at 12 o'clock etc. as bad omen.
We don't get coconuts this part of Florida.
Palms nice to look at, but hated working'em.

Last edited:
Back