Chippin

maggies dad

TreeHouser
Just wondering what yall get to chip brush? I had a guy from another company call and want me to do about a days worth of chipping for him. I have never bid just to chip brush, so was wondering what yall have done. I am running a 12" C/D, not sure of the fuel burn cause I just fill it when it gets empty. I hate chipping so I guess Ill figure it into the price too.:what:

It's easy work and it doesn't cost you anything to get it. I say charge your normal hourly rate.

I do a hundred an hour, fifty for the chipper, fifty for one guy, one hour minimum, within a fifteen mile radius of home base and a dump site. If I have to drive further the hourly rate applies per fifteen miles over the original fifteen miles driven.
The hourly rate doesn't include any cutting, aside from weakening crotch unions, or dragging.

Finally getting some heavy rain today here in The Pas, nice change from the steady 30C with high humidex.

I charge $120 hr [from marshalling point and back] with a 35hp 13"X6" Morbark and that's just myself doing it.
I do alot of this work for our hydro company who do their own bucket line clearing but leave the cleanup for me.

Not my favorite gig, I can make alot more $ doing stumps and removals.

I simply rent the chipper out.
Over the years that has proven to be the best solution.

Renting would be ideal, but there are very few people I would trust with my machine. $200 per hour including drivetime both ways.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

Wow, you guys charge high

I get a chipper and an operator for $65 per hr. here, plus $65 delivery fee. And diesel is $1.90 a litre!
Mind you thats a small by your standards chipper, 10"

I charged 90/hr or 150/hr with an extra chipper back on one job back in 05. We did $11k at those rates, paid for the chipper right off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It will be me and one of my guys. All the stuff is cut and left , not in a pile. It's about 20 miles from the shop aswell. Thanks for all the input, Now I have a good place to start, This isnt my normal, but it is money.
Thanks

My job was 6 miles from the house, chips stayed where they were sprayed, left the chipper there during the job.

As long as you can get the chipper to it, I think having the brush left where it lands is much easier to work than if the homeowner decides to 'help' and piles it all up for you.

Homeowner piles/chipping generally isn't why I got into treework, but I'll do it. I price it the same as treework though when I have to look at it.

I'd think you could make more money doing other types of treework. Clean up makes the least dollars, usually.

That's Why I charge it the same, atleast, if it's just chipping. This week another company was doing some clean-up behind us. Due to the storm, I'd get it on the ground and go.

Lol. I slayed it here this week and last weekend. Cleared with immediate neighbors 6am start times and made some serious messes. Lots of clean-up too. I don't mind cleaning up my own jobs, and normally do as part of the whole shebang but the emergency stuff is cut and run. I've been running OT and doing some storm stuff and my booked jobs too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I wouldnt do it if I had a bunch of work lined up, but I have the time next week so I thought what the heck. I will give it a go and see how it works out. I have a big Arizona Ash to remove on friday, and then I have a great job out on a ranch that will take a about a week. I figured if I can fill in some free time it cant hurt. Almost got the grapple trailer done so Im taking it to the ranch and work it some. The good part of this job is that the neighbor wants all the mulch, so I told them come get it, cause the home owner was just going to let it lay. So no hauling! So as long as the chipper doesnt blow a tire or decide to explode this shouldnt be to bad of a job for a day. Hope yall have a great day tomorrow, be safe . Night!

Back