Beginner Tree Climbing Tips

Gary, the MA vid you posted wouldn't play for me, was too old, any chance of reposting?

Here you go, Cory. This will be good for the "absolutely FNG" to see also. The latest in the rope techniques and use of fire up in a tree.

And these are some of the comments from back when it was first posted...to add a little to the flavor.
Boss....I snipped this part out of a longer video related to martial arts and energy focus. This fellow has some good skills...uses primitive means...just himself and a native rope...to accomplish his task.

Some of his techniques might give you a WTF...well, they should anyway. The initial climb is epic. :D

More than one way to skin that cat.....and don't forget to have the groundie send up fire.

Ryan
Treehouser
Aug 27, 2019

Wow. Pull yourself up by your neck, have a rest on a small rope between your cheeks and then bite on that same rope to hold your weight while holding two torches. It all looked impressive and very uncomfortable.

Welcome bullbrauch!

edit:
and that video^^^ So many ways for things to go wrong. I prefer a little more insurance in my climbs D^:

Last edited:
Hmm, I clearly have a lot of work to do.

And biting as a MA? I never thought of it but, yeah!

Howdy Gang,

Brandan from Colorado here….

….My love for felling trees has come screaming back after running into a local climber/arborist while buying a new Stihl 462 a couple of weeks ago. Monday, I'm going to start working in my off time from school as a groundie for him and look forward to absorbing every bit of knowledge I can. Thanks for the great thread; I'm sure I'll have thousands of questions as I start this new journey! Thanks much.

Welcome to The TreeHouse, Brandan!

Very refreshing to hear that your plan to be a climber begins with working the ground for a tree service and learning everything you possibly can about ground operations first.

Biting is not so much a thing in a formal martial ART. But in a martial SYSTEM it is a very real thing... Just one more weapon to use. Close quarters fighting and biting are part of a survival system.

I was in a pretty involved grappling match about 20 years ago. The fellow I was grappling with for some reason decided to take advantage of an opportunity to bite me in the upper inner thigh. If you haven't been bitten in a fighting situation before it's interesting. It was like a nuclear bomb went off in my reactions. When we got up off the mat he had serious claw marks and scratches across his face where I had exploded to get away from the bite. He was like WTF and I was like, you're lucky I didn't kill you mofo. I was pretty pissed. :lol:

Biting does get somebody's attention.

I hope this derail doesn't run off the FNG. I'm looking forward to see what he has to offer.

Brandan... We sometimes get into pretty far off the track derails but we eventually get back on track. It's just part of the flavor here but sometimes they lead to other interesting topics. Welcome to the House and jump in whenever you can.

Gary, gotta say that was a hella post! :dude: :drink::dude:

Thanks for the welcome!

His neck-tied method of ascending gave me the willies! I'm down for experimenting with the aerial ignition from the canopy though, CalFire approved!:evil:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Merle Nelson

For a minute, i wondered if we lost you... good to see you were here Monday.

Thanks Sean, just doing a lot with the new passion of ebike riding trails and such. That and I've had the good fortune of having more tree work to do than I can handle for the past couple of years.

I'm hoping we have a good rain year where I am and in addition to all of the important things being handled by rain I can get more days off. :)

That's, a tautline hitch Master that hitch is like 200 yr's old (j/j) But ,I'm guessing it's that old for a reason. I do like the Blake's hitch. I read some of the other post on here when i got home from Fla. And the blake's is nice. the tautline hitch on my xtc fire gripped way to much. Haven't tried the v.t. yet in a climb im just messing around in my weight room on my pull up bar. But so far im still going to say i like the schawabich so far better but like i said , I haven't tried the v.t. on a climb yet ill keep everyone on here posted.aka... (my new best freinds) . :dude:

Hi sorry to intervene new to the forum and have been reading y’all’s stuff to try and get ideas to start teaching a couple guys I have to climb. But have you tried a prusik and micro pulley when I made the change to that it was a game changer in the tree

@davidwyby

bumping this thread.

May I suggest, as an aspiring climber, you can feel free to start your own thread for your journet to promote discussion and and get helpful tips from the Peanut Gallery.

Post up what you're thinking about, your gear, your cutting comfort (when you're in the tree, there is nowhere to run), etc.

Pictures help a lot. Hypothetical situations and real trees you're working on.

Throw line skills are Sooo helpful. When you can preplace ropes well, you can avoid some climbing, using pull ropes and guy ropes. The climbing you do will be easier with a good Tie-in Point.

I was originally planning to KISS, just flipline and spurs…but then I saw a vid by I think @Ryan ? Where he hurt his arm and needed to get down in a hurry. Was able to quickly rappel/descend. Would be a big problem to be injured and therefore short one limb and trying to spur and flip down….

I have always used a loaner 50’ towable lift. It’s just a hassle and doesn’t always fit. Can’t tow another trailer while I’m towing it, etc.

But the injury thing gives me pause. I’m not sure I want to work at it that hard…it’s a hobby for me.

A line set in the tree along with your flipline/spurs will go far in instilling confidence, and preventing disaster.

Happiness is a high tie in point.
It makes everything easier.
Become familiar with the strengths and weaknesses of the genus and species you’re working with. I’m guesstimating here, but some hardwoods like honey locust and it’s cultivars let me tie into <2” diameter wood. Eastern cottonwoods I probably need 5”+ diameter.

After walking out a bit on a limb to make a cut, I’m often in a much more stable and safe position to cut if I stop trying to stay on top of the limb and get on the side of it. Let the climbing line take almost all my weight and set my lanyard where I want it. Can let go with both hands and both feet and not go anywhere.

Don’t focus on speed at all. Focus on technique, and for ascents find a rhythm, even if it’s slow. As the technique becomes more common to you and you settle into a smooth pace, speed will follow.

Don’t make a cut unless you’re certain of what that piece is gonna do. For a busy and productive climber, a 99% success rate means you’re damaging property or injuring people way too often. When in doubt, rig it out, and if your rigging system, including the tree itself, is questionable, walk away. It doesn’t feel good walking away, but it feels much worse to bust your ass all day and end up in the hole with a repair bill. I’m sure it feels worse to be responsible for an injury. I hope I never find out firsthand.

I've walked away from a few jobs some I've come back to with other gear to do it safely others I've left to others and even had contract climbers turn down. From having 3 close calls 2 in 1 day it's easier to walk or take things slow.

Back