8.9 magnitude earthquake in Japan!

Nowhere to go really, not enough resources to allow us to live elsewhere. A free rental in Hawaii would be nice for a couple months, not too particular about the view. Just going to keep on by keeping on like everybody else, I guess.

Not much you can do other than weather it out Jay, the economy is going to be trashed for a while at least, but I think you'll pick it up in tree work and storm clean up.

It's not surprising that disasters spur local economies. Every dark cloud has a silver lining. Money to be made off this for sure. Still the disaster has yet to fully unfold.

I think that in this case the silver lining pales by comparison to the level of human suffering this event is bringing. Japan has serious debt, whatever gains for individuals that develop should be far less than the negative effects to the country as a whole.

I wonder if the surviviors are going to be wanting to rebuild at those coastal locations with the possibility of it happening again? You see people wandering around with a blanket thrown on themselves against the cold, calling out the names of disappeared family members. Others with a hollow stare in their eyes, just repeating over and over, everything is gone, everything is gone. Five miles of congested city debris in twenty-five feet of water comes crashing into your living room, they aren't finding many living people in the rubble. Repeat that scene all up the north coast. The quake was one thing, but the tidal waves were the coup de grace. Endless scenes of brutal devastation, it gets to you after awhile and it has just started. I felt myself starting to freak out a bit, my earlier post about worry. It just isn't something that you can easily imagine and get your brain around, to the degree it is, there is something unearthly about it. Nature reared it's head beyond a point of a human relation to it. It's like looking into a volcano and recognizing how inhospitable the environment can be, but the day before the quake it was just as usual normal calm. The paradox is hard to get a handle on, just very shocking, and the threat to your need for predictability makes you uneasy. I don't really know how you can measure the damage this has caused. Beyond the accountable numbers, is the blow to the human spirit, particularly with the elderly. For many, their world has been turned upside down.

Anyway, glad that life goes on for some of us. I think I have caught my slide into some kind of fear. Thanks.

Sorry Jay, I am more sympathetic than you may know, it's life changing for sure!

A buddy of mine was texting me earlier, he can't get ahold of a friend of his at all. Really bugs him a lot, I wished him well with getting ahold of him and hoped all was alright.
He replied, "I hope like hell to, he's with the NRC!"
This made the both of us nervous!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No words of solace can bring any material thing or person back, I cannot imagine the feeling you must have walking among those that have been demolished. I sit here and watch the reactor information selfishly hoping they dont have a meltdown with a fallout effect. If there is something you want or need to get through this Jay please don't be too proud to say so, there is a community of like minded friends here, I am sure if anyone is able to help, they will.

It appears a meltdown may be in process according to CNN (posted on CNN March 12, 2011 10:51 p.m. EST):

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/asiapcf/03/12/japan.nuclear/index.html?hpt=T1

Excerpt:

Tokyo (CNN) -- A meltdown may have occurred at at least one nuclear power reactor in Japan, the country's chief cabinet secretary, Yukio Edano, said Sunday, adding that authorities are concerned about the possibility of another meltdown at a second reactor.
"We do believe that there is a possibility that meltdown has occurred. It is inside the reactor. We can't see. However, we are assuming that a meltdown has occurred," he said about the No. 1 reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear facility.
"And with reactor No. 3, we are also assuming that the possibility of a meltdown as we carry out measures," Edano said.
Edano's comments confirm an earlier report from an official with Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency, who said, "we see the possibility of a meltdown."
"There is a possibility, we see the possibility of a meltdown," said Toshihiro Bannai, director of the apan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency international affairs office, in a telephone interview from the agency's headquarters in Tokyo. "At this point, we have still not confirmed that there is an actual meltdown, but there is a possibility."
A meltdown is a catastrophic failure of the reactor core, with a potential for widespread radiation release.
Though Bannai said engineers have been unable to get close enough to the core to know what's going on, he based his conclusion on the fact that they measured radioactive isotopes in the air Saturday night.
"What we have seen is only the slight indication from a monitoring post of cesium and iodine," he said. Since then, he said, plant officials have injected sea water and boron into the plant in an effort to cool its nuclear fuel and stop any reactions.

Jay,
That visceral fear is totally understandable.
The utter immensity of loss already evident and the far-reaching effects of this disaster on the psyche and well-being of the people of Japan is daunting.
Stay safe, and as Willie said above, let us know what you need.
We're not Hawaii, but we have three spare rooms since the kids are out of the house, and a working wood shop, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
hoping for better news but it sounds like the reactor is inside a containment vessel, unlike Chernobyl.

Jay, I appreciate your posts, very insightful and it is harder to be callous in just going about day to day things without a thought cause "it didn't happen here". I don't really think that comes across as I mean it....

I know what you are saying, Willie. You guys have been really kind and helpful, everybody has. It is great to have this place to express what I have been experiencing.

This nuclear thing, I see these people come on the news to explain the situation in carefully worded statements, just give you enough to inform that the current set-up is indeed serious, but little more than some attempt at appeasement to all the calls for clear information on exactly what is occurring. Like the guy tonight who said, an explosion in the #3 reactor is very possible, but there is not need for worry because the inner containment can withstand, just like in #1. Yeah the inner structure held in #1, but the roof also caved in. "We underestimated", is a natural progression from that posture, and cancer clinics on every corner. In the mean time, they are doing methods to try and cool the damn things that have never been done before, more like acts of desperation. I don't know that causing a major panic is such a good thing, but at least saying that anybody within a certain range might best consider getting the hell out of there, seems more than reasonable to me at this juncture. Some people that tested positive for radiation exposure were disappearing into tents to get their faces washed. They have some college boys like drips from a faucet from the electric company, sitting up in front at the press conferences, all looking like it's the man on either side of them that is to blame. I'd love to see some guy in greasy overalls with a big wrench come running in and shout, "The fooker is getting hot! Hold on to your hats, but no time to explain" , then go running out again waving his wrench. So much better than the ones squirming in their seats with not a hair out of place. Just like the politicians, no respect for the public, even when the chips are down.

All I can offer are my prayers, which are with you and your family, as well as all those touched by this disaster.

Jay, just a wacky idea. Get you and Mrs on a flight to DC and I can pick you up. I have plenty of work and a place to stay. I fully realize this may not be practical, leaving all of your responsibilities but consider it an option. Spring is a beautiful time in Central Virginia. Im sure we could work something out with the tickets too.

I'm with Paul; I'll kick in towards a ticket. Pop smoke and scram for a bit, Jay- this is gonna get uglier before it gets better.

will they let you leave without a passport? or into the us?

maybee refugee status?

looks like 111000 yen= 1200.00? flights from tokyo to richmond/charlottsville

It is great to have this place to express what I have been experiencing.

And you have been articulating those experiences with heart wrenching clarity. Try to avoid depression and despair. Scattered amongst the devastation and the idiots in the news media there will be unnoticed heroes. Notice them. They are light against the darkness.

Dave

Back