8.9 magnitude earthquake in Japan!

If folks leave, they need to think about which direction to go.
In 1979 when the core partially melted down at Three Mile Island near us there was a lot of fear of a total meltdown and irradiation.
They also vented gas to control things. We left and went to New England to visit friends.
It turned out the radiation plume, due to the winds and atmospheric conditions also went to New England :(

I would estimate that the tidal waves started coming in within thirty minutes. Warnings are still in effect and we just had another shaker a few minutes ago.

With the reactor here, an ideal scenario would have the winds blowing directly out into the Pacific. Not sure how that would fare with Hawaii? The winds are never consistent out to sea, often turn onshore in the afternoon, and also there is the likelihood of radiation getting blown over Korea, China, and Russia. The leak is potentially so massive, there is really little to hope for except containment.

Thinking of you and your family, since this started, Jay. I don't have the words, but I'm wishing you strength and wisdom to get through the immediate and future changes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Via Twitter:
"@Breaking News
Japan nuclear plant update: Area residents told to stay indoors, not drink tap water and to cover faces with wet towels or masks - Sky News"

wet towels? Does that keep you from growing a third arm after radiation exposure?

Actually in Japan's case Erik..... It would be somewhere off Argentina :D

http://www.antipodemap.com/

But Yeah :(

I was wondering if you and some of the guys with the cranes you work with Jay, are going to be helping out when you can get there. I just hope you and yours are safe from this thing until they can contain reactors and things settle down some. The after math of this catastrophe will have it's own after shocks for quite some time until all is settled and rebuilt.
Our hopes and prayers from us to you and the people of Japan....
I hope what goodness in man can come out of all this in the aid to our fellow man.
Be great if they could just stop all the conflict in the world and rush to aid those that need right now..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
wouldnt that be interesting? Cnn is showing earthquake related carnage while al jazeera is showing the middle east populace killing each other willingly. Bus flipped over in the Bronx this morning killing 12 or more, man, mother earth is a bit of a blood bath lately.

It really shows that when man v nature, mama nature lays the smack down. It is really something to see what took years to build washed away in five minutes. My thoughts and prayers go out to those affected.

finally home
and am glad jay is ok
i was worried all day about our friend, prayers are answered he's safe inland
whew

i was at work near patricks point and was being updated by rangers if we were safe working there
fortunately we were just above tsunami warning area
i think they just liked bs ing with us in the middle of the street

i wasnt gonna let a threat stop me from going out ant 630 in the morning
i had a whole day of chipping to do
from 13 -130 ft ish firs that were "view pruned"
ok topped and re shaped
but an ass load of brush none the less

chipper went down, flagger no showed
my mobile mechanic came out,
fixed me chipper and stayed to flag for us
wound up flipping the knives 1/2 way thru the day
and we worked till a little past 7pm last night to finish

glad i wasnt in crescent city or brookings harbor
they got beat up
just got phone, cable, internet late last night
no work phone # all day...damn it

be safe and take good care jay!
you and your countrymen are in our prayers

Fukushima I Explosion! Missing/deaths stats are off thescale, with one town losing 5,000 so far.

Jay thought of you al day yesterday doing my day to day chit, Glad to here you are OK sorry for the misery your country, friends, will have to endure.

Perigee - March 19th - the moon at its closest in 18 years. http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/industry-and-economy/economy/article1531754.ece

Add that to the universe alignment in 2012, maybe the only long term Hope for Human Kind is that the "Grand (O) Designer"/Mother Nature is going to slap us little "Humans" (Parasites as someone said) back to hunter gatherers. Its going to be a bitch to watch ~~ My wife is scared shitless for our grandbabys.

Man that sure is doom rant -- sorry guys. Any help needed Jay, let us know The Nuke plant really sucks

Ever heard the term "China Syndrome"?

Umm, I think they call it "America Syndrome" over there. ~ just sayin

I saw a news report that said the entire island of Japan has moved 8 feet. Seriously?

I wonder how true this is?

23kcbv9.jpg

Just woke up... Life as normal outside my window, but the thought of turning on the news makes me nervous. Picked up something about loss of temperature control in a second reactor, what fiend is writing this story?

Not sleeping well, what is going to happen to my custom woodwork business? I was supposed to meet someone next week about building a table, are they even interested now? Income may be completely stopped, I told my wife that we have to live as cheaply as possible. I don't really know what the ramifications of the situation for us are, everything is just too crazy....too much. Got to keep a good perspective, be strong for my family, but between you guys and myself, I am getting uneasy here.

Don't worry, thanks for the continued thoughts, we are better off than so many, will make it somehow.

Back