8.9 magnitude earthquake in Japan!

Language warning. Best footage of our tsunami. Starts out looking out to sea, channel to the left is the harbor, channel on the right is the Chetco river which starts flowing backwards

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/7Ty4DZpZBCo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QSNTKvklheg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If you need help Jay, I'm up for helping too. Still, I think Japan is going to need folks who are good with their hands to build back up. You might actually find that this event makes you busy.

The Japanese people are very industrious, well organized people, and being so will recover from this in a surprisingly short length of time. That is my prediction anyway. I'm down for helping with tickets and whatever also. Be safe Jay.

I've been reading about Niwaki lately, Japanese style pruning.
I get the impression that spiritual culture in Japan assumes periodic destruction and rebuilding... Though I guess this is a completely different scale.
I have faith that of any culture in the world, the Japanese are one of the most resilient. I think this recovery will show a strong contrast to that of Haiti. They'll need some help but they won't be at all dependent on it.
Jay, I have the same faith in you. Things will change but you'll make something good from it.

I'm all for helping out financially, but not for plane tickets. I'm willing to bet that Jay stays put. Real men don't run when things get tough.

I don't think Jay is trying to "run"...I imagine the possible radiation cloud is the biggest concern. If I had that possibility threatening my family I would be working to remove them from the area.

Question for a real man...Would you have your children stay by your side as radiation threatened your area?

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eeQh5hzvdyg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm really touched by everyone's generosity, thanks so much, both my wife and I are very grateful for this. :)

Tempting to leave if we could arrange it, but my wife's family and such, if the sh@t does hit the fan and become immediate cataclysmic, I think my only place to be is here giving the help I can. I see some very damaged people who remain optimistic, am trying to follow their example.

Thanks,
Jay

I think there's no doubt that Jay is a real man. Be well man. My hope, my wish is that you yours and your adopted country can be as well as expected and heal as fast as is possible. I appreciate your reports, so very articulate.

New reports in, there was an explosion at the nuke plant, a small one they say, and no radiation leaked.
There is also a volcano trying to erupt now on the Southern end.
My buddy still hasn't gotten ahold of his friend with the NRC so no inside scoop yet.

I remember back when families where hiking out of Kosovo, fleeing the conflict. They were all living in a refugee camp just over the border and they only had what they could carry. Some school aged girl in the US came up with the idea of having people donate backpacks with a water bottle, sweatshirt and a toy to the kids in that camp. I thought about that today when I saw a news report from Japan where a woman who escaped said that her house was gone and all she had in this world was herself. A simple back pack with a few useful items for folks(kids especially) could help folks out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
More shitty news coming via Twitter:
"Explosion at Reactor 3 - AFP And reports of a new tsunami (3 metres high) on the way."

Back