YO Motorheads!!

How many miles on that truck John?

Have you ever bought the strips in the past and tested the coolant?

Seems you have nothing but trouble with that truck from what I remember.

In defense of the truck, it's surely been worked at least. But it's not uncommon from my other forum to have 3-800k on these motors.

Jasper don't do Navistar Internationl diesels from what I know.

You can get the Ford PSD from an International (Navistar) dealer for prolly cheaper. The engine is known by International as a T444 for the 7.3L.

I used to get most of my parts for the 2 PSD's I had (7.3 and 6.0) from an International dealer and from Napa.

International had a falling out with Ford over the new 6.4L diesel. Ford was sueing International for not supporting warranty work on lots of early model 6.0L engines.

Sothere is a little bad blood there.

Gary

Well the 6.0 sucks big fat hairy donkey lips.

And I agree, Ford is probably the absolute most expensive place to get parts or a motor for that truck.

How many miles on that truck John?

Have you ever bought the strips in the past and tested the coolant?

Seems you have nothing but trouble with that truck from what I remember.

In defense of the truck, it's surely been worked at least. But it's not uncommon from my other forum to have 3-800k on these motors.

Good point brendon... most people don't know about the coolant test strps.

When I sold my 1995 7.3L PSD it had 385,000 miles on it.

Another point to the hydrolocked theory, The PSD's injectors are fired by a shot of super high pressure engine oil (10,000 psi). When the computer tells the injector to fire, it opens up a valve and that high pressure oil hits the injector shootin' in the diesel fuel at a high velocity spray. The injector oil seals can go bad over lots of time, and oil can (and will) leak into the cylinder. We're talkin' around 275,000 miles though. Usually happens to vehicles that are abused, oil not changed regularly, and a lot of sittin and idleing.

Gary

Well the 6.0 sucks big fat hairy donkey lips.

And I agree, Ford is probably the absolute most expensive place to get parts or a motor for that truck.

I dunno Brian... the 6.0L I owned was a beast. The early model 6.0L had some issues, but by late 2005 and in to 2006 or so the bugs were pretty much ironed out.

Gary

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
the seal on that cylinder/injector was replaced in december last december....could it be linked to that?
84 thousand miles on this truck.

Well for what it's worth I've seen a lot of Ford/International diesels with well over 200 thousand miles that ran excellant . I've heard very few compliants about them in pick up trucks .

Ha the parking lot at work is just full of those cowboy limosines F-350 duallys .I think maybe a few of them actually get used for what a truck is intended to be used for,a tool . They hold up though even if they are used hard .

Wow... only 84,000 on a 2002... It's just gettin' broke in...

Is it the 7.3L John? or the 6.0L? I can't remember when Ford switched to the 6.0L. Either 2001 or 2002...

Gary

'02 was the first year of the shitty 6.0. Lots of problems with the early engines, including head gaskets, craked heads, etc.

Gary, it was 2003. Paul Cox just bought a 2002 F550 with the 7.3 a few months ago. I talked him out of the 2003 with the 6.0.

I am pretty sure the 250's and 350's changed over to the 6.0 in 2002 Brian, but I have been wrong before.

2003.5 + is a 6.0.

Also, you diesel fools should know that you can't buy that coolant that says "Good for any Vehicle".

Some trucks will not like Extended Life Coolant either FYI. Typically you do not need to add SCA to ELC's. It's not good to mix the two either.

Some will require you to add DCA4.

Triple check before adding or replacing coolant. Diesel coolant isn't the same as your mini van.

Read, Search, or find a forum particular to your vehicle before you destroy it internally.

Fleet%20Guard%20Test.jpg

It's to determine the condition of your coolant. And will tell you if you need to add DCA4 (supplemental coolant additives) to prevent cavitation and/or gelling of your coolant.

Search brotha.

Read on cumminsfiltration.com

Good point brendon... most people don't know about the coolant test strps.

When I sold my 1995 7.3L PSD it had 385,000 miles on it.

Another point to the hydrolocked theory, The PSD's injectors are fired by a shot of super high pressure engine oil (10,000 psi). When the computer tells the injector to fire, it opens up a valve and that high pressure oil hits the injector shootin' in the diesel fuel at a high velocity spray. The injector oil seals can go bad over lots of time, and oil can (and will) leak into the cylinder. We're talkin' around 275,000 miles though. Usually happens to vehicles that are abused, oil not changed regularly, and a lot of sittin and idleing.

Gary

This is why it's Very important to keep clean oil in a PSD.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
changed the oil every 5k....

Just got back from the shop...engine still not out yet. Looks like #4 might be the culprit. A bad seal looks like it may have leaked fuel into the cylinder....sounds like it is bad...but nobody wants to say till it is out.

Fleetguard is a great resource. I saw an IHC movie probably from the 70's about cavitation erosion, many people, and a lot of diesel techs, don't know what it is. We bought a 4900 IH with a 466 that had cavitation erosion. best of luck no bivy.

Back