What Non Essential Gear Do You Think Is Worth Owning?

lxskllr

Treehouser
This thread's for non essential, maybe not obvious gear you think is pretty cool to have in your bag. My submission is the FTC Meteor throwbag. This is the one I have...

I got that cause it's close to my preferred weight for throwing, but I should have gotten the 18oz Pulsar. Expensive, and isn't essential, but it's great for working a line in a tree. I don't care much for throwing it, but getting a line set, dropping the bag, then switching for a hard weight is nice for isolating limbs, especially in a dense canopy. The weight's very lively, and is easier than lead shot to direct it where you want it to go.

Since I don't usually throw it, I'll probably get the Pulsar in a future order. A heavier bag is nicer for rough bark trees, and I don't think it'll affect the performance gains of using a solid weight.

I don't get along with the rubber throw weights or solid what ever. I order mine custom.
I have taken to having a friend make leather ones. In 16oz and 20oz
But I will and have ordered these in the colors I like

Did I mention I have a log arch I never use? :lol:

My little yellow notch pocket wedge is one of my favorites. Also, it's my youngest daughter's favorite teething toy. Other than that...My wife likes quick slings and ziplines, but I consider those essential.

Silly as it may sound, one of my favorite non essential prices of gear is the whistle built into the clip on my Monkey Beaver harness. Far easier to toot a signal than to holler over the wind. Since the wife and I don't have coms, and since she never seems to wear ear protection, whistles are great.

"groundskeeper 2" rakes, the plastic ones work but the groundskeeper is just better
snow shovel
portable winch co gas capstan, mines the PCW5000
an abundance of 4x4 and 4x6 wood blocks, from supporting trees to wheelchocks to prybars to stickers to lay crane logs onto for getting slings out, can drive on them to spread load on muddy terrain
ratchet straps, mainly use mine for brush in the dump trailer and also to spin the chipper disk backwards when it gets clogged up and cannot be spun by hand
fence wire and pliers, also keep wire ties for chainlink, don't ask me why I found out I needed these
chainlocker chain storage case, just keeps the chains from being tangled, not a big deal but man does it help sometimes
short bits of rope, 5-20ft long are great in a pinch for stuff like tying to the chipper chute to turn because bandit cannot make a chute that spins with the handle if you are on a hill
also a maasdam, GRCS is nice too BUT for a while I got by with a maasdam and a prusik ontop of my porty, can do anything the grcs will just a lot slower

"groundskeeper 2" rakes, the plastic ones work but the groundskeeper is just better
snow shovel
portable winch co gas capstan, mines the PCW5000
an abundance of 4x4 and 4x6 wood blocks, from supporting trees to wheelchocks to prybars to stickers to lay crane logs onto for getting slings out, can drive on them to spread load on muddy terrain
ratchet straps, mainly use mine for brush in the dump trailer and also to spin the chipper disk backwards when it gets clogged up and cannot be spun by hand
fence wire and pliers, also keep wire ties for chainlink, don't ask me why I found out I needed these
chainlocker chain storage case, just keeps the chains from being tangled, not a big deal but man does it help sometimes
short bits of rope, 5-20ft long are great in a pinch for stuff like tying to the chipper chute to turn because bandit cannot make a chute that spins with the handle if you are on a hill
also a maasdam, GRCS is nice too BUT for a while I got by with a maasdam and a prusik ontop of my porty, can do anything the grcs will just a lot slower
well, a grcs will pull three or four times as much but i get it..

well, a grcs will pull three or four times as much but i get it..
rated for 2K# maasdam is rated at 1500#

that being said, I know for a fact the GRCS will handle closer to 15K#, and when you break it Greg good doesn't ask questions when he sends a new rope pincher disk lol
so yes you are correct, just by 500# according the the sticker on the device

I put the Akimbo in the essentials. I climb all the time with it and the zigzag, each on their own rope.

I have a big ring, but I used it maybe twice. My mind is just not set on it for rigging.
A ratchet cable puller, nice by the load allowed, but almost useless due to the only 10' or so for the cable's length. By the time it takes out all the slack, almost nothing is left for the actual working course.

rated for 2K# maasdam is rated at 1500#

that being said, I know for a fact the GRCS will handle closer to 15K#, and when you break it Greg good doesn't ask questions when he sends a new rope pincher disk lol
so yes you are correct, just by 500# according the the sticker on the device
i‘ve snapped climbing ropes with a 46 harken, loadcell read 1,4 metric tons.

i was thinking the masdaam pulls more like 500 kg but i might be mistaken.

5 to 1 hauling system. Pulling over stems, tensioning lines in general and recovering vehicles the old school way. Cheap, compact and effective

i‘ve snapped climbing ropes with a 46 harken, loadcell read 1,4 metric tons.

i was thinking the masdaam pulls more like 500 kg but i might be mistaken.
I've had my grcs pulling a 3/4" line down to under a half inch, on a double whip setup, had to have like 6 or 8 wraps around the tree because the rope was slipping in the grcs

I'm with WoodCutr on the groundskeeper 2. That rake is honestly amazing, and that's saying something for a rake!
Sleeving the handle with pvc may be necessary( this and all rakes).

My GK rake handle went quickly.
A recently purchased wood-handled rake broke within minutes.

You will not regret it Cory! Especially if you do pine needles at all!

I really didn't think that a rake could be improved upon, but that fancy expensive rake is really something else.

Back