What Non Essential Gear Do You Think Is Worth Owning?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've never seen it before. Maybe I just haven't been paying close enough attention.

I have never seen one in real life. Online I have seen climbers offering to turn them out of wood from job and sell them or give them away. Can anyone foresee this being a hazard for unintentional descents? I guess if people are using them probably not.

I know there is someone that calls them hitchbreakers and makes them out of wood. I swear he was able to make them mid line attachable somehow. I’ll try to find a link
Found it
Pricey though

That wood one's sexy, but I think I'd prefer a natural finish. Plain wood gets better looking with age. Custom finishes tend not to. Also, not midline attachable. Not sure how big a deal that would be in day-day use, but it's certainly more convenient having the option.

Plastic's a pretty meh material. It wears easily, and only gets uglier with age, but it can be cheap. The one I linked is only expensive cause it's custom 3D printed. Mass manufacturing could bring the price way down, but $25 isn't awful if it lasts long enough. The figure I have in my head is a year to be a good value. Dunno if it could last that long in daily professional use, and a year may be an unreasonable expectation. I'd just have to try it to see what I think. Aside from the convenience, I'd be getting some of the money back from reduced glove wear. Probably like getting a free pair of gloves every month. Not a huge sum of money, but it isn't nothing, and can be taken off the purchase price.

Sena headsets! I finally broke down and bought two Pfanner Protos helmets and a pair of Sena 50S headsets. We can communicate so much easier now. I’d used the kind that wraps around over your ears, but they always hurt my ears after a bit, and I had to wear earplugs under them as well. They’re not “essential”, but are definitely a good thing to have.

Doh! I didn't open the box to see what variants were available. That's cool. I might try knocking something together myself as proof of concept. See if it's something really worth pursuing.

Back