Ya'll be careful! (no gore)

What Deva said.
Stig I set my brake on the ground cutting about every two steps on reasonable terrain... Every cut on bad terrain or footing. It is ingrained in me to do so. I have seen the result of trip and fall WO the chain brake set.... It can get nasty. But then I always go back to my location, location location way of thinking and circumstance. Like Al pointed out. If you are limbing out a down/felled tree and there is a lot under foot... Best to use the brake until you move to good footing again. Or shut off the saw. The highest % of CS accidents are on the ground limbing the log out. Thigh and lower. Mitigation of the risk by reducing it ups your chances of avoiding the accident... Just a plus in my favor by practice in keeping safe :)
We are all adults here, as Burnam would say. We all accept our own levels of risk.. Just my .02 :)

Stephen, this place is FLAT!
When I limb a fir or spruce, I kinda walk along it while rotating my saw around it.
They want us to cut one ring of branches, set brake, take step, release brake, cut branches, do all over again.
It DOESN'T work!

I know they aren't called" ring of branches" but it is late,I'm tired and I can't find the right word.
Help, please.

I totally understand Stig... Flat clean ground (where you work) it seems a counterproductive action. In my terrain.. the practice can save you from severe injury... Just like any work or safety practice, you can make something a standard, but depending on work environment, circumstance, work performed...etc, practices are probably going to be altered to fit the situation and operator at hand. We are all grown ups and can assess the risks and rewards for our selves in our real life situations. If it is only ourselves at risk I would add.

I come from an era of no chain brakes what so ever .As such I never got used to using them not saying they are a bad idea though .
Great idea to be quite truthfull .
I don't cut nearly as much as many on this site but when I do and if I have to move I usually shut the saw off . Bucking a log into firewood though is only one step at a time of movement . Different conditions for different situations I guess .

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QEImPpdPux0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QEImPpdPux0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Hardly ever set the brake. When I started my profession using cutting tools, my teacher turned on the saw and pointed to the blade and said to me, "Don't touch that!". I still follow his advice.

Reading here though, I want to get in the habit of using the brake, thanks.

Stephen, this place is FLAT!
When I limb a fir or spruce, I kinda walk along it while rotating my saw around it.
They want us to cut one ring of branches, set brake, take step, release brake, cut branches, do all over again.
It DOESN'T work!

I know they aren't called" ring of branches" but it is late,I'm tired and I can't find the right word.
Help, please.

On coniferous trees `snedding' operation requires the operator to move along the stem. I was taught to move forward when the bar was on the other side of the stem and to remain stationary when it was on the same side. I was never any good at it as I didn't do much coniferous forestry work. But those that did were a wonder to watch. Very smooth and very safe if done right. We must have all been taught this same sequence of moves at some point, but it sounds like the Danish authorities want to make it even tougher for someone to compete in the market.

No_b,
That video isn't working for me, wish it was.

Either way, that's not one-handing, cuz I bet there's no hand there.

Technically okay. But still dude needs chaps and a helmet.

Hate to say it, but people who one hand saws just might have more brains.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PbMvxLRdpm0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PbMvxLRdpm0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Some newbies have the chain brake in use to an extreme, will bring in a saw and tell me that the chain won't turn, what's up? Very safety minded individuals, I have concluded.

How about the ones who constantly slam on the chain brake without letting the chain slow down first? They slam on the brake while the saw is still at full throttle after every cut and then wonder why their saw snaps the crank after 6 months?

Or the immediate stop inertia shears the key on the flywheel. I think that Husky started to put the key as a total one piece aluminum unit on the flywheel on some models, especially for those people, since it shears so easily. I know that Gregg at Baileys gets asked so much about sheared flywheels that he doesn't bother to tell people to fix them anymore, and to fix them again, just says to put toothpaste in there and tighten the nut.

They slam on the brake while the saw is still at full throttle after every cut and then wonder why their saw snaps the crank after 6 months?
Plus the clutch drum gets hot enough to fry an egg ,melts all the plastic and on ocassion breaks the clutch segments . "Brake riders " saws are a beech to get the clutch spun loose .Most times it takes an impact wrench .

I've never owned a saw without a chain brake so I learned to use it right from the beginning. Doesn't seem to be an inconvenience at all.

How about the ones who constantly slam on the chain brake without letting the chain slow down first? They slam on the brake while the saw is still at full throttle after every cut and then wonder why their saw snaps the crank after 6 months?

That's what the new apprentices are like when I get them.
Do the upper half of a facecut, slam brake on.
Do lower half, slam brake on.
Everytime they complete a cut, slam brake on.

It may be safe but it is counterproductive as hell and murder on the saw.

"Snedding", never heard that word before, Jason.
But back in my pulp cutting days, I was really good at it.

Regulations seem to be commonplace in industries with recurring accidents. Almost every tree guy I know who one hands (including myself) has been bitten.

Not me. Once on the ground in the woods I sunk a tooth through my falling pants and just into my knee, didn't even require stitches and I was two handing at the time. I've come close to cutting my face before also while two handing but not so much as a scratch, hit the hard hat and screen though. I'm pushing about 17/18 years of saw use.

I don't even think when I engage the CB: it's instinct.

You said it MB

Yo Winch, didn't mean to be insulting. If you always two hand everything, good on ya.

Any 'newbies' that read my posts here, here's a disclaimer all treework is done at your own damn risk. I don't hang here to worry about being politically correct or by the book. The House is my place to kickback and keep it real.

Maybe we should start another dropstarting thread? Lol

V. I hope your climber is recovering quickly.

Thanks for the update V...sounds like Patrick got real lucky with no visor on his helmet and the saw hit it first! I like the lightness of it, but do feel a bit exposed with just the glasses.

Stig I was at a meeting in the Uk where the Danish Forestry chap attended, gosh must be like 6 years ago or so...we were the only two overseas reps for the Uk qualifications. Over here we have been allowed to modify the quals slightly to fit our local needs and limitations. As for chainbrakes, like Jason said when snedding or delimbing, as long as the saw is on the far side of the trunk you can move forward without putting on the chainbrake. Sounds like the Danish people are over interpreting the Uk standards...

No insult felt, Squish. It's all good.

I always have to grit my teeth with the new guys and their chain brake habits - tough to tell them exactly how to use it, and when. I have had those guys on my crew who snap it on full-throttle, and it definitely seems destructive, but we've not had any issues. I smirk with the chain-brake engagement during the face cuts. Like a lot are saying on here - pure habit. I just like to include thought in my daily routine and try to not habitualize too much.

Pure habit and you'll be cutting a face notch for a crane pick!:what:

I put a face cut in this crane pick. The ball couldn't reach/ wasn't over the load by a couple feet.

41138_112377742154374_100001464474962_92583_1242720_n.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Patrick came in yesterday, had a ton of paperwork from workmans comp. He needed some help sorting through it. We got through the paperwork but he said the hand is very sore.

He's gonna feel it for the rest of his life, for sure. It's good things weren't worse.

Let's be careful out there, people!

Back