Ya'll be careful! (no gore)

I think he just leaned the top till the sling was plumb and dragged the butt till it was under the ball also, then lifted.

So did the back side of the log stay on the front side of the stump, more of less, so that it didn't drop/ drop much? Looks like the log is in the neighborhood of the offset of the hook, or more than the offset, as described.

The log stayed on the stump until it was vertical with the ball. Then, I released the hinge. It was only a couple feet off, so the log didn't have to move that much.

Butch, I'm trying to understand and learn here, so take it with that preface. Is that to say that the choker was plumb to the hook when the face closed/ partially closed, then you finished cutting through the hinge, and skidded the log across the stump, until it was essentially with the COG under the hook? Or cut through the hinge and had some guide ropes to minimize the swing?

So do you mean that the log was tilted, and the sling was plumb with the boom tip, then cut the hinge, and cable or boom up, allowing the butt of the log to come to a point of being basically plumb? I'm having a hard time visualizing the whole operation accurately, and am trying to pick up as much as possible, as I don't have people around here that I work with, that I can learn from.

Any by skidding, I'm not meaning anything to do with a skid steer loader, just dragging. You may have understood that is what I meant, but I figure I'd clarify.

Well thumbs up for chainbrake use, I was clearing trees below the power out here on our island before the big storm, up to my knees in branches and undergrowth (doesn't take much, being so short)...I finished a cut, turned to walk to the next spot and JUST as I engaged the CB, I tripped and did a digger, flat out sprawl...good practice meant peace of mind as far as the saw was concerned...dented my pride though, the neighbour was watching...

Know this is a older thread and cant remember if I posted this pic last year when it happened.

Friend of mine cutting firewood and his daughters boyfriend 18 wanted to help. Well somehow the boy lost balance and caught himself on the fall right on the chain in the cut. The guy cutting didnt even realize anything had happened and couldnt figure out why the boy was jumping around.

IMO the boy got lucky he didnt take the hand right off, bled to death etc. They said chit was hanging all out of the cuts (tendons etc I guess) Pic with cell phone after being sewn up.

This year another friend was spitting some wood for a guy at work. I was suppose to be over there with them, but couldnt make it.
Well somehow the guy loading the wood on the splitter lost his finger tip including the whole finger nail. So be careful out there.

kids hand

*Snip* Reread the thread's title - no gore!

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a feeling someone would bait me with this. Nice try, but more like 10+ years experience in the tree, Skwerl. I have been in the job with boss, as crew leader, for 6 years. I also own my own profitable business and compete with one-handers like No_Bivy.

Not a greenhorn here. And isn't it interesting that others come out of the woodwork to tell tales of other one-handing injuries...every day...it's not worth the risk.

Designed for one-hand use? I don't know about that, maybe you should crack the owner's manual.

Thanks for looking out, though!

what about freelancers like me? I one hand my 200t about 70% of the time, I've been doing it for 8 years. i know a good friend of mine who is like you, never one hands and it takes him almost 3 times as long to trim or remove a tree as it does me. It is more efficient, and if careful it can be safe to do, you just have to be sure of your grip on the saw,your footing and position.

So you started working as a climber when you were 14?

That would not fly here, we don't allow kids with saws in the trees. That kind of work is dangerous enough for a grown man.

Fifteen Year Old is the Minnimum for Logging and Climbing in NZ.Personally I think its not too young,if more young people learned the value of hard work early I think Society as a whole would be better off for it.

Yeah i started in Akron Ohio working for a friend of my Dad's who had my dad do the tranny work on his dump truck. I needed a job to help pay bills and he had me climbing within 2 weeks of starting. It just came to me so perfectly and i loved doing it so i just stuck with it.

Back