Ya'll be careful! (no gore)

Oh, electricians, plumbers and general contractors need to pass exams
Even at that it's a regional thing . I've had an electrians permit for about 40 years and never once had to show it .I just pay them 20 bucks a year to keep it active in case I ever do need it, same with my CDL .

You get around bigger cities they get more stringiant .In the case of Florida and perhaps others ,with the aftermath of storm damage they experianced some really bad contractors so they had to take some action .

Most people don't know anything about good technique in pruning. They do know about a clean job at the end of the day. But then anyone can use a rake and blower. Maybe there would be less competition in your neck of the woods if there was less freedom to rake up and blow lawns after a shit pruning job? If there was legislation to prevent non qualified companies and individuals from buying saws and working, there would be more money for approved and professional outfits. That would be good for the industry state side eh? A better living for vocational arborists? But hey you got your feedom gig going on, and hell, that's better than some money anyday.

I spent half my life being told what I could or couldn't do by people who had absolutely no clue. If I wanted to be told what to do and how to do it then I'd go get myself a job in a big corporation and have multiple bosses telling me how to things the wrong way. I will never ever become a cheerleader for appointing some pencil pusher to create legislation to mandate what I can or cannot do, or how I can do it. IMO people must be trusted enough to be responsible for their own actions. You cannot just keep appointing people to mandate what other people can or cannot do, or else you get to the tipping point where half the country is in the business of telling the other half of the country how to live. Be responsible for yourself.

Of course some basic regulation is necessary. We have that already. If you want more, then push for it in your own damned country. Quit coming over to an American forum and pushing for European rules.

My dad was a plant manager for a short time in Baselton England at a Ford tractor plant .He told stories of how damned near everything was regulated even the "mixer faucets " on showers .Evidently someone had got scalded by one at some time or another so they passed a law outlawing them or at least so in 1965 .Just rules and edicts about nearly everything you could imagine .

I for one am glad we do have what few freedoms we still have left but the political machine would gladly take those away if we let them .

Conversely we abdicate our societal responsibility by sueing everyone in sight. I'd like to find a happy medium.

Yes, a person can pretty much set themselves up in almost any trade without any government approved training. You typically only need liability insurance and an occupational license for most trades.

Anybody can walk into any saw shop and buy a top handle saw off the shelf. Our government doesn't regulate such things (yet).

Of course some basic regulation is necessary. We have that already. .

Is an occupational licence the regulation you speak of? What is involved in obtaining one?
I'm pushing nothing on this world wide web. Just discussing alternatives that might help out the professional arborist in an over saturated market place. Typically you have made it a US V's the rest of the world argument, when in fact i am on the side of anyone who wants to be open to concepts that might help an industry blighted by over saturation of tree surgeons. I say tree surgeons but that could mean anyone with a chainsaw. Brian, you seem determined to turn any ideas from me into attacks on your country's freedoms. Your polarised simplistic responses will not fool many on here, particularly those feeling an economic pinch in these troubled times.
You don't have to fight all the time, we can all agree that professional arborists could do with some help to make a living. This doesn't mean half the population has to be involved in bureaucracy. indeed many in the industry who are experienced and qualified enough could easily become legislators, thus negating your fear of ignorant pencil pushers telling you what to do.
You've been told what you can and can't do all your life have you? Maybe you have a chip on that shoulder?
A happy medium between personal freedom and increased legislation might actually be healthy for the industry state side. Like I said, just an idea I thought worthy of discussion.

Regulations seem to be commonplace in industries with recurring accidents. Almost every tree guy I know who one hands (including myself) has been bitten. I still one hand..why? Mostly because I learned that way and its a tough ass habit to break. On very few occasions I find that there is a legitimate reason to one hand Re: Mr. Gairns argument. I minimize one handing, but like I said earlier...there are simply too many occasions for which one handing is more productive and I'm quite comfortable with the technique...and lazy I suppose.

I actually agree with both Gairn and Skwerl on this one...safety is a state of mind for which the individual must accept ultimate responsibility and regulations must be in place to ensure those who seek to make a living doing high risk occupations are properly trained and educated.

My .02

Skwerl, you are doing your usual thing about lumping all European countries together.
The Brits have much more legislation on operating chainsaws than we do here.
Unfortunately the Danish Forestry School has adopted the British " Chainsaw license" thing and is trying hard to get the state to implement it here.
For a reason that should make perfect sense to you, BTW, sheer capitalism. If everybody here who operates a chainsaw professionally needs a license to do so, we all have to take a course at the school, which means more business for them.

The taught practise includes engaging the chainbrake every time you move.
How the heck one is supposed to make a living as a contract faller while setting the chainbrake everytime one takes ½ a step in any direction is a question they don't want to answer.

In a tree, sure.
But on the ground, do you set it everytime you move?

Actually, I'm talking about on the ground, with larger saws - NOT small saws. But yes, I'll still set the CB on those - just not as immediately as I do on a bigger saw.
I don't see the big deal. It's like using your turn signals or wearing your seatbelt: you just do it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Do we even know if he was one handing the saw?

No, we don't. Steve, the surgery to re attach went well, but I guess time will tell. I was confident in the doctor which is rare down here in the islands. Bermy, no face shield, just a petzle hard hat.

Most accidents can be prevented, but hey, we are all human and make mistakes. Patrick is a fine climber with years of experience and a healthy respect for the dangers of this occupation. He got bit, but I would never consider him careless.

Yo Royce.....truthfully YOU NEVER one hand? 10 years you must have.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gbK3-EfJd-w?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gbK3-EfJd-w?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I don't know if answering that question would be good for my arguments here.:)

Standards don't necessarily become higher only through regulation. Take woodworking for example, something I know three-eights of an inch about. There was a time when the European system with it's formal training set-up to get your qualifications (thinking Germany here), had it all over the quality of work being done in the states. Then in the states, some people got inspired and set some very good examples, and doing clean work became a groovy thing. As the skill level grew, through exhibitions and such so did the publics awareness of what could be accomplished, and the benefits in it for themselves. When there is a market for quality, some of the people doing the work will always arise to the occasion, and competition becomes a fruitful driving force for higher and higher expectation and accomplishment. Some or many of the craftsmen in the US are right at the top of the heap now, and being well compensated.

I guess the point I'm trying to make, is that the public being desirous of good work is one avenue for better and better practices as the norm. That might be the only way for it to happen in the states. Without that, it's hard to budge the thing. The public needs to get better informed. Regulations are not the end all, and I think that based on a lot of work I see being done in Europe, the restrictions to be licensed, tend to end up being somewhat confining in terms of creativity....... a point I could elaborate upon, but beyond the scope of this discussion.

I guess the point I'm trying to make, is that the public being desirous of good work is one avenue for better and better practices as the norm.
A truism if there ever was one .

Sometimes the general public has preset ideas of what quality work actually is .Many are under the misconception that for example the Amish are the best carpenters in the world of which they are not .They can build junk just like anyone else with a saw and hammer can or they can do some of the finest work as can others .

You get into an area where a "housing boom " is happening and you get into all kinds of substandard work and work practices .Seems like everyone who owns an old pick up truck with hammer and saw is a builder .Then too everybody with a set of 9" Klien pliers and a wire stripper is an electrician .A few pipe wrenchs and the knowledge that chit runs down hill qualifies for a plumber .

So goes it with arborists/tree trimmers . Storm damage-150 dollar Craftsman saw and a beat up pick-up- truck,go get-em tiger ---

I don't know if answering that question would be good for my arguments here.:)

Good sport:)

I one hand most of the time and have never been bit. I have had a few slips like was mentioned and could see that causing a cut. I could see a two handed grip combined with a slip causeing one too.

I worked for a guy some years back that required chainbrakes to be set while moving between ground cuts, thought it was dumb at the time as I never used them in the woods but like Butch, it has become habit to where I will often set it as I move.

Jason, we have proved that you could come here and be president with no other qualification of certifications:lol:

Setting the brake as I walk around limbing and bucking
is as natural as looking where I place my feet.

Great saw training on a Forest service Fire/Resource Crew.

Back