Woodworking

Just messing with a piece of spalted maple. Planed and power sanded to 120 grit.

Some tearout from the planer requires more sanding, then some finer grit.

17067431361116291548363758791970.jpg 17067431480192957734536847491122.jpg

Bandsawn/ air-dried atop a piece that is planed, then sanded.
17067431863283783012487428630495.jpg

Reading about pros and cons of finishing products, and taking advice.

So far, I've used MCT coconut oil on two cutting or charcuterie boards.

walnut oil and raw kinseed oil will cure where as most other oil‘s won‘t. they might go stale, though.

Reactions: Raj
Walnut cures, albeit slowly, and gives a fairly durable surface.
It is also food safe, smells good and works great on salad.
It was used as the hardening agent in paint before Linseed took over.
All those great masterpieces, like Rembrandt's " The night watch" that we go to museums to see, are made with Walnut oil.
Linseed is for outdoor wood treatment IMO, unless as an ingredient of Danish oil, which BTW is my go-to for turnings etc.

Heat-treated walnut oil. Mahoney’s and Doctor’s are two I know.

Mahoney Finishes
What makes my Utility oil better than other oil finishes? My Utility finish is 100% high linoleic acid walnut oil, completely natural and food safe. There are no chemical driers. The oil has been heat-treated to make the oil dry faster and to remove any possible allergens. Linoleic acid is a particular acid that is naturally found in walnut oil. It is a stabilizing agent that makes the oil’s shelf life longer than other natural oils. The oil penetrates deeply into the wood and becomes a permanent part of the wood. I recommend one heavy coat. Apply with a brush or paper towel. Let soak in and wipe off any excess.”

I just bought a bottle today, largely cause of this thread. I've seen it around, but wasn't sure how I'd use walnut oil as food. Now, if I never figure it out, I'll know it's good on wood. $8/12.68oz. I think that's a pretty good price.

Heat-treated walnut oil. Mahoney’s and Doctor’s are two I know.

Mahoney Finishes
What makes my Utility oil better than other oil finishes? My Utility finish is 100% high linoleic acid walnut oil, completely natural and food safe. There are no chemical driers. The oil has been heat-treated to make the oil dry faster and to remove any possible allergens. Linoleic acid is a particular acid that is naturally found in walnut oil. It is a stabilizing agent that makes the oil’s shelf life longer than other natural oils. The oil penetrates deeply into the wood and becomes a permanent part of the wood. I recommend one heavy coat. Apply with a brush or paper towel. Let soak in and wipe off any excess.”

What's this about "speeds sanding"?

I hadn't thought about oiling before sanding.

I have lots of spalted maple. Is there something to use that will firm up the wood, and be food- safe?

In my market, plant- based oil would be way better than food- safe mineral oil from petroleum.

I bought some sanding sealer, but haven't used it, yet. Is that not food-safe? I haven't looked into it, yet.

If spalted wood goes a little too far toward punky it is difficult to work and finish.

I didn’t realize you were looking for an aid in sanding.
I thought you were looking for an ultimate finish.

Not really sure what to use to firm it up for better sanding I’ve had mixed results with different products , and they are not food safe…

If spalted wood goes a little too far toward punky it is difficult to work and finish.

I didn’t realize you were looking for an aid in sanding.
I thought you were looking for an ultimate finish.

Not really sure what to use to firm it up for better sanding I’ve had mixed results with different products , and they are not food safe…
We know what that guy B thinks about spalted wood...it's ALL too far toward punky.
:lol:

Last edited:
There's a saying among framers: "We ain't building a piano, just the box you put it in."

Guess Sean's coming at it from ta other way.

Lot of talent well beyond my humble skills on display in this thread.

One of my old apprentices carves spoons as a hobby.

What's this about "speeds sanding"?

I hadn't thought about oiling before sanding.

I have lots of spalted maple. Is there something to use that will firm up the wood, and be food- safe?

In my market, plant- based oil would be way better than food- safe mineral oil from petroleum.

I bought some sanding sealer, but haven't used it, yet. Is that not food-safe? I haven't looked into it, yet.
Sanding sealer is food safe when cured.

You can use Danish oil to firm up spaltet wood.
Thin the oil with some turpentine or something, then apply as much as the wood can soak up.
Leg cure for a month or so, then repeat with straight oil.

Back