What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 483K
Even the Eskimos up north are getting cold weather they never seen before. Recent reports of one community had a blizzard so severe that tornadoes formed blowing buildings and debris everywhere .

I've seen a couple of those here. It was only around 30,35 below but I was amazed. They were only about 100' tall but sure tore up some trees. " short white and black spruce " . I'm glad the didn't get me. !!!!!

Weatherologists are predicting temp in 40's and 1/2 inch of rain this weekend, then back to sub-zero next week. Should make for some really nice ice-jam flooding.

Yup, thats going to be a lot of fun un-thawing everything next week.

Spent a few hours in the tractor clearing my folks and neighbors places along with knocking the county road open for a little over a mile each way.

We had -2 here this morning. But it was sunny so that is always nice, instead of overcast.

Kalamazoo was 1 degree colder wind chill than Antarctica yesterday.

just finished clearing three driveways and Four mailboxes of snow with the mini. That's enough of the outside for me for the day. Only going out to start the truck every few hours now.

Don't you have heaters on it? .. a 150 watt. 6" square pad on the oil pan and an 800 watt lower radiator hose heater works pretty good down there where its not too cold. . Its a lot easier on belts, hoses and all the other fiber/ synthetic parts if the engine compartment has a little warmth to it. A big tarp pulled over the whole thing really helps too.

image.jpg

Am feeling beat. Even the amazing recuperative powers of potato chips and a can of Coke aren't enough tonight.

Damn! I hate shoveling roofs.

Lol chips and coke. No wonder it didn't work. That looks like atleast a six pack of your local finest to recover.

Raining today. Awesome!
Cottage owner (who I have never met - he got my name from a neighbour I worked for a few years ago) sent email asking if I could go back to shovel off the decks and stairs. Arrrrgh. That snow is gonna set up like concrete once the temp drops.

I saw a fire today up the hill from our consults.. Figured MAYBE a controlled burn... HA.. NOT. Somebody lost one. Steep nasty too. I think they are going to let it burn though. Plenty of granite above it. Dew point and winds are favourable. Need to burn off some of the beetle kill and brush anyway.....

Our fire danger in Northern California right now is high. Usually this time of year it would be extremely low. The water situation is dire. Most people around here have wells, which are drying up. I know numerous families who have owned their rural homes since the 70's and their wells are dry for the first time ever. The bank I work for has been buying water once a week since July. (not just bottled water, but holding tanks full). Rumor has it the man who owns the water truck business is getting cut off from his local source soon. Mendocino County is currently working on rationing guidelines. It's only just begun. Our fire season is going to be real bad.

Sounds bad in the redwood country .

It's supposed to be in the mid 40s' today,rain towards evening .Most of the snow is gone .

It's amazing that a pipeline can't be built to carry freshwater into Cali. We have more water than we know what to do with! I'm being rained on as I type.

They are thinking about it, Butch, surplus H2O from the Columbia River in Oregon, sent down to Cali. It could also generate a very large amount of revenue for Oregon.

I haven't heard about that, Jay, but I will bet the people along the gorge really hate that idea! We norcals really hate that our water goes to southern cal.

HOT!!!! Records falling all over.

Hit 95 in our village Tuesday, and an all time high of 40*C in a place south of us called Melton Mowbray (meltin' mowbray more like!)
The mainland is copping it badly, and bushfires popping up all over.

Total fire ban yesterday, supposed to hit 36-38C on Friday as well. The grass dried out in like two days, green to gold in a week...

Climate change is about extremes...and we are seeing them all over the globe, extreme heat, cold, floods, droughts, hurricanes, winter storms. Climate change is REAL and we have tipped the balance/frequency beyond that which occurs naturally/cyclically by putting so much extra crap into the atmosphere.

Back