What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 483K
perfect time to do fruit trees! are you wishing for a silver maple?:D

I know dormant season is OK but I can't imagine its good to trim them with snow on their branches. I was going to prune an apple, apricot and a peach tree tomorrow but now I think I should postpone them until the snow is out of them.

shake the snow out! your just trying for an excuse to stay home!
we finally got our huge winter storm last night. dropped a whole inch!

shake the snow out! your just trying for an excuse to stay home!
we finally got our huge winter storm last night. dropped a whole inch!

I can't seem to find anything on the web that says whether or not I should prune fruit trees in the snow. I like working in the snow, I just don't want to damage anyone's trees.

Darin, If you keep looking you can find an "authority " that says not to prune apples when temps are below freezing........but it is B.S. Sharp tools and proper cuts and all will be well.-O' course what do I know, I have only done thousands.

Having said that,it is -4*F here and I have decided that it is too cold to prune anything today.

Darin, I don't think it matters whether there's snow on the trees or not.

But the preferred time for fruit tree pruning seems to be late winter.

Other than the possibility of the cut areas freezing, I'm not sure why the late winter time frame.

Roger, Because by late winter there isn't any more time to procrastinate if you are planning on dormant pruning.

Usually I do all my fruit trees in March but I have been running out of time. All I found was something that said prune fruit trees in late winter after the danger of cold damage is over. My worry is that the bud that I cut back to will die. Instead of the fruit trees today, I will go back and bolt that tree I've been meaning to do.

It was 5 at 5am, it was 6 at 6:30am, the high was woing to be 26, it has dropped and dropped and dropped to 16 now!! Snow is on the way, but they aren't predicting anything yet?
I was thinking about making a wood run, but by the time I drove out there I wonder if the mini would even start!!!
Bubba and I decided to stay home in front of the fire and watch noogin together!

Noggin is better than "Barney" and I am tired of "The Wiggles", at least it changes every half hour!!!!! Then

IT'S PUZZLE TIME!!!":lol::lol::lol::lol:

cold, skiff of snow on the ground, one phone call to return about doing an arborist report, otherwise I am off till friday night, my third to last shift at the tree lot. :D
Darin, I have been told that fruit trees (at least the disease prone ones) benefit from cold, dry weather for pruning, many disease organisms travel with moisture IE snow, rain and maybe hail.

Attachments

• PB260720.JPG
    PB260720.JPG
    135.4 KB · Views: 2
Darin, I have been told that fruit trees (at least the disease prone ones) benefit from cold, dry weather for pruning, many disease organisms travel with moisture IE snow, rain and maybe hail.
If moisture is an issue why not prune on a hot summers day? - the tree is also active and more able to cope with any pathogens encountered

sure, why not? :D I have my pruners on my hip roughly 362 days a year.

fwiw: the solid exceptions are Christmas day, Jan 1 and my wedding anniversary. Any other exceptions are unscheduled ;)

Not too cold here... Just started snowing again... Forecast now says we are to get up to another 2' of snow overnight down to 2000 feet. So that should make almost 3':O
Ummmmm I think I will just take another day or two off until they clear the roads... :lol::lol::D

Dang near Tshirt weather here today. At my elevation, about 975 feet, we got no storm damage, lot's of flooding, but nothing severe. At about 1600 feet, all hell broke loose, serious mess.

Back