What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 483K
Yeah.. If you had that tooth bar ready it would just tear it down....
In the past I have rented equipment (bobcat or tractor) and set my hourly (to pay the rental) or actually added my hourly to the rental. Bottom line is that the customer wants me to do it and is willing to pay to get it done by me instead of taking the chance with someone they don't know. ;) If it's too wet, or frozen, I can understand why ya can't do it though :D

Thats always been the pisser. I have a Bobcat 763, a Case 1845, and a New Holland LS170 that I can schedule to use anytime I need!! The Case comes free, the Bobcat is little to no back scratching, the New Holland is a lot of back scratching. But most of the jobs I come across they are overkill!! And more and more jobs you can't even get them in the back yard without taking down a section of fence, and going through the neighbors yard. They are building houses closer and closer now than you can imagine!!
I have a guy that digs basements, bought a nice new JD backhoe, laser GPS the works, then a New Holland wheelloader. He's the one that "inherited" the Case. They are running into jobs where the Case is too large to backfill!! Yeah, and 1845 is TOO BIG???????? So I will probably be getting work from him soon as well!

That's what I want to work into Andy... Get a tractor for the work we need to do in brushing and around the house (12 acres) and incorporate it into our work. Up here though... Mid size would be the chit.. 30 HP dozier, a 30 HP tractor, or something like that avenue. Move dirt and brush. Wood.. etc. More diversity for the times 'a "commin ;)

I can't find help Stephan!!! Seriously, NONE!!!! And the small concrete jobs, that I am good at, nobody around here wants to do!! So if I bid it, 98% of the time I get it, because nobody else will even show up!
Small backfill jobs, same thing!
This is what I am really after with the mini. It turns me into a three man crew and I don't kill myself doing it anymore. I wheelbarrowed 2yds of crete once (my help showed two hours after the truck left) I don't care to do that aigin!!! (Myself and another guy did 7yds, you don't even want to talk to me about that day!!!)

I think you need something bigger, and most likely tracked for the terain you talk about!

Yup.. has to be tracked... Example would be the D-8 cats high track... they had to stop once it got dark on the fire, cause it took the two of them to get each other off the hill... SERIOUSLY!
As for the labor force I can totally sympathize there. Lucky if they even show. I worked as a manager and Chef in the kitchens in town or I would not have ANY help. I have had all the high school help since they were 15 and most of the adult.. Limited labor pool and ya better know their work ethic. SUX. But I manage. Why I pay day labor and not full time employees.
Having Rob as my business partner is seriously an advantage too. That man will work 7 days to make it happen.. Damn Marine ;)

Those maples become self pruners with a load of ice . Even the mighty oaks feel the load . Tips over some big old veterans like they were soda straws .Mother nature ,not to be fooled with .

Most of the snow went south of us. There is a civil alert out for the state, basically if you go out an get in trouble, they will pick up the remains as they get to it. It has been many years since they had one of those.
We do have some cool temps, -15-20F. Think I will just set in the house and veg out.

Frost on the ground and cold. Blue sky and sunny. No snow last night or rain... Supposed to rain today:? and snow tonight:?:/: Still looking for da clouds folks, still looking for da clouds... Hey a putty tat.....:lol:

Snowing with a forecast of snow and cold followed by cold and snow then snow and cold with more cold and snow. Aargh.

3 inches here just north of Seattle....pictures to follow.....got some great ones already...some at 6 am.... sun is coming out....it may stay below freezing for days, so the white stuff will stick around.

It's CRAZY here!!!
I left the house at 8:15, i was 55. I got seven miles down the road and stopped for gas, it was 42. I drove thirty min. to the jobsite, it was 34.
It's 27 now with freezing rain coming!

SNOW! Finally, we have snow on the ground with lots more coming down. Our ski resort might be able to open for Xmas.

It does put a wrinkle in my work plans because I have a bunch fruit tree trims.

"Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."

Oh wait... we aren't postal workers.... But what the heck...:D:lol:

SNOW! Finally, we have snow on the ground with lots more coming down. Our ski resort might be able to open for Xmas.

It does put a wrinkle in my work plans because I have a bunch fruit tree trims.

perfect time to do fruit trees! are you wishing for a silver maple?:D

worked the tree lot today, hovering in and out of freezing temps with a stiff wind most of the day, my ears are cold.

The snow has started tonight and there is about an inch already stuck. Nothing like some of you guys are getting, but we will see what the morning brings. SO far snowing steady freddy. Wood stove is pumping the heat and I am in and out of bed with a cold. I knew I needed a day off!... LOL

Got a call the General Foreman this evening. Work for tomorrow has been canceled. High temp of -1* F forecasted tomorrow with wind chill temps exceeding -20-25*F . I'll head in after rush hour, get some shop time in, and then head off to the lake to do some ice fishing in the afternoon.

10 pm and we have about 4 inches of snow.... Should be interesting in the AM... Seriously thinking some hot soup, warm fire, and some snow play with the kids tomorrow.

Back