What's the weather like in your neck of the woods?

• Thread starter Rborist1
  • Start date
  • Replies 8K
  • Views 485K
Clouds hunch, brooding on the southern horizon, a brief pause in their relentless march. Above, a clear blue sky is polished by the howling wind. And on the wind is snow. We didn't get our ten inches overnight, but looking at the great gray mass crouched above the trees, it's coming now.

Frost covers everything in exaggerated fuzzy blankets, despite the clear sky and glaring sun, an indication of just how cold it is. The cedar trees dance madly, their fluffy branches already catching the first intrepid snowflakes looking to land.

Zyphers whirl, ripping dust up, off the ground, forming it into spectral shapes, and sending them marching north, endlessly north, before they crash upon the trees, splashing, vanishing back to nothingness.

its just on 1100hrs and were at 37c with gusting hot dry northerlies.
forecast for 40 ish, hope you lot on the east coast are doing ok too.

It's a brisk (sarcasm) 66 degrees today. I still found myself sweating on the walk back from the store to gather supplies. I hate sweating. I guess it's better than if I had to pant like a dog. That sounds exhausting.

We've had quite a bit of rain lately. I love when it rains here because the smell of the air changes in ways I am nostalgic for. Also, the constant light percussion of rain drops landing on the dry, desert earth is quite cathartic.

It also pleases me to know that my favorite, local trees and wildlife are getting sustenance. =-D

This photo was taken after 0900 this morning. More than two hours of direct sunlight failed to burn off the frost. So I guess it was cold today. Most of the yard is frosty again 11 hours later, and much of it never melted off. Yesterday was much thicker more hoary frost, I wonder what tomorrow will bring? 20240204_084436.jpg

Attachments

• 20240204_084436.jpg
    20240204_084436.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
So, your a tree, growing in a forest, straight and tall. Then some hairless ape with an awfully loud machine shows up and cuts you down. What's more, next they strip you of all your limbs and foliage, even your bark! Then dry they dry you out, soak you in chemicals, and haul you off somewhere, bolt FAKE branches on you, and stand you in a hole. Then they tie cables all over you, going from the last poor bastard like you, to the next. That's it, now your some cruel facsimile of the beautiful specimen you once were, just to await falling to the ground all over again. Damned hairless apes, the indignity of it all!

So, your a tree, growing in a forest, straight and tall. Then some hairless ape with an awfully loud machine shows up and cuts you down. What's more, next they strip you of all your limbs and foliage, even your bark! Then dry they dry you out, soak you in chemicals, and haul you off somewhere, bolt FAKE branches on you, and stand you in a hole. Then they tie cables all over you, going from the last poor bastard like you, to the next. That's it, now your some cruel facsimile of the beautiful specimen you once were, just to await falling to the ground all over again. Damned hairless apes, the indignity of it all!
That was deep, @Kaveman. Those poor trees almost become high wire marionettes for our personal amusement! Hath we hairless apes any shame?!

It's 72 degrees out today and partly sunny.

They get into climate change rhetoric, but this is what is going on.
It never rains in California, but girl don't they warn ya. It pours, man it pours.
Been going on since I been on this earth and my father and grandfathers before me.

Last edited:
We just got out electric back on. Happy, happy.

Trees down and flooding everywhere. It's a big mess.

Chaos! Big overtime for the service workers. Biden will take it all.

Storms like this, 30 / 40 years ago, we worked round the clock. Slept a lot in the chip box. Nice and warm there, but moldy, rotting chips and all. Might be part of the reason for my asthma today.

Well that Cali weather is finally getting over here!

0500, 42°, 35, gusting to 45mph. Temp has dropped three degrees in the last half an hour, as the wind has picked up a little. Storm warning for the next two days, calling for snow above 5500ft, but no indication of how much snow. I hope it frigging dumps on us, I'm still suffering plow-time deficiency.

There's a 100% chance of precipitation today. Great. Of course it's going to rain cats and dogs on the day I'm supposed to go grocery shopping. Son of a bitch! Gwwwwaaaaarrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

Heh heh, oh well. I'll figure it out. Wish I owned an umbrella or even a rain jacket or waterproof windbreaker. When you live in Arizona, you forget what real weather looks like and you are woefully unprepared for even the slightest of precipitation.

I hope all of the cacti will be happy. There's this Giant Saguaro next to this dentist's office down the street that is so top heavy that it has to be held up by a tripod of 2x4s that have carpeted tips to prevent damage as they contact its sides. I keep trying to come up with an awesome name for him, but haven't yet decided on one. He's pretty awesome. He's an elderly cactus. They can live for 150-175 years. =-D

Last edited:
Back