What is the oddest thing you have hauled in your tree service?

Hella posts! Any idea what killed either whale?

Musta been crazy sawing up a huge creature like that, thinking about the crazy places it's been and the things its done and seen. And heard.

That isn't really all that different from felling a huge old tree.

Also, whale sap will make you pine(hah!) for the good old days of dismantling sticky old white pines.

Hella posts! Any idea what killed either whale?

Musta been crazy sawing up a huge creature like that, thinking about the crazy places it's been and the things its done and seen. And heard.

Cory, as I mentioned I love nature programs. So was in my element with the sperm whale and all the Marine Biologists.

There are lots of wacked out theories of deep sea subs/fishing boats and their sonar knocking their senses. The Sperm Whale I did died of dehydration. As do most others, or so I was told. They get their water intake from Giant Squid which only lurk in very deep waters. So the hungry and thirsty Whale usually is searching for GS. They swim in to the shallower waters, all the time getting more and more dehydrated as they cannot find food. The more dehydrated they get the more confused, as would any mammal. Hence, the reason you hear reports or whales swimming into the River Thames or Estuary waters and getting stranded and then die from dehydration.

The one I did was putrid and stunk to high heaven. It was pretty disgusting especially when the wind changed direction. At one point I was cutting the back end of the thing. I figured it was like a fish so I didn’t want to hit the area with the messy stuff.

BUT I did accidentally hit the intestines and they ruptured. I got coated with whale shit as the gas left the intestines. It splattered all over the visor and peppered my face. I dropped the saw and flipped the visor up and wandered about with me eyes closed shouting “Someone get me a wet wipe, I need a f’ing wet wipe”. The Marine Biologists fiancé was their and she came over and wiped the shite spray off my face and we cracked on.

The funniest moment was when the MB set my mate up. He was cutting the head off and was told, whatever you do don’t cut into the Spermacetum chamber and directed him where to cut.

About 2 minutes later MICK hit the chamber and it squirted out all over him, and I mean all over. Chest, legs the lot.

He looked like a giant had knocked one out and ejaculated all over him. It comes out liquid at body temp and them turns to a white waxy substance when cooled.

Spermacetum is what the whales were hunted for and is like paraffin. It also plays a huge part in the whales communication. The deeper the whales dive, the temp of the water drops and the liquid turns from liquid to the wax substance. The chamber is shaped like a funnel and at deeper depth combined with the waxy substance allows the Whale song to travel further. Bit like a funnel on an old grammar phone.

Told you I asked them a lot of questions.

😜

I think this was the moment just before I hit the poo-pipe!

EA49D65F-D40B-449D-B7FB-5DDE21A6CF9E.jpeg

Last edited:
If anyone is interested, I found the full episode of the TV show on you tube. Fascinating stuff.

Basically my friend was the Line Producer for the Series and she called me at the end of the first day as they where having trouble. I was busy and had work booked in which couldn't be cancelled. So I gave a mate their number and he went down to help out on day 2. So he got his 5 minutes of fame and was on the documentary.

Mick called me that evening and said they had done the job and it was an amazing experience and did I want to come the next day to help them clear it from the beach car park. Of course, says I.

Watch the doco if you have time. Or forward to 47 minutes to see the bit where Mick steps in to save the day.

Thanks for all the interesting info, much appreciated.

the vid wouldn't play for me, some bollux about blocked in my country

So much for freedom...can’t fly the offensive flag, tie certain offensive knots, or watch inappropriate videos...smh

Back