What Did Ya'll Have For Dinner Tonight?

I had a grilled New York strip steak last night with gnocchi (in a brown sauce), broccoli, and a Caesar salad using iceberg lettuce.

I'm actually quite talented at grilling...

Pro tip: For those who want to up their game in the easiest of ways (perhaps to impress your significant other), whenever you grill anything, try taking the total cook time (based on thickness/cut type) and divide it into fours. For example, if the total cook time of your steak is 8 minutes, then you should pick a beginning orientation so that the steak is either perpendicular or parallel to the slats on the grill --then set a timer for 2 minutes. Once the alarm goes off, rotate the steak (or chicken breast, etc.) 45 degrees. So if you began with the steak's legth running parallel to the slats, this turn should run it perpendicular to the slats. After another two minutes, flip the steak over and repeat this process one more time. By doing this, you will create cross hatches in your steak (a crisscross pattern grill marking) that makes it look more professional than simply laying it down and flipping once without rotation.

Pro tip: If you need to measure the internal temperature of your steak or chicken, etc, ALWAYS remove it from the grill and place it on a clean dish prior to taking the temperature. Leaving it on the grill will give you an incorrect reading.

Pro tip: ALWAYS allow your steaks and chicken, etc. to rest for ten minutes after pulling them from the grill (or even the oven for that matter). Place a sheet of aluminum foil over the cuts. This will allow for continued cooking and for proper formation of a crust which prevents loss of the juices inside of the item. It also allows any marinade to further get inducted into the meat. Do not cut the steaks or chicken, etc. until they have rested.

Pro tip: If you struggle to tell whether or not the cut is cooked without cutting into it, do not exceed that one cut. However, learning to use a meat thermometer is a hugely important skill that will up your grill game significantly. When using a meat thermometer, make sure you do not push the probe beyond the halfway point of the meat's interior or you will get a bad reading. Too many people stab it all the way through and this is wrong. It is ideal to drive the probe in at an angle to increase how much of the probe is exposed to the hot meat.

Pro tip: One of my favorite EASY ways to season a steak is to coat the entirety of the uncooked cuts in sea salt and black pepper. It's up to you how much you use, but don't be shy. Next, use a brush to apply a thick coating of olive oil across every square inch of your cuts. Place them on the grill and continue to brush the leftover oil/salt/pepper mixture on the platter you used as they are cooking (for both sides). This is isn't absolutely necessary though and the original application should be sufficient. (However, by doing so, you will create a thicker crust). This will result in a very nice crust and a highly accented, exceptionally natural tasting flavor. After pulling from the grill, spread some garlic butter across the top of each cut and let it sit for the obligatory ten minutes. Enjoy!

Sirloin 1.jpg

Last edited:
I ate baby back ribs, loaded mashed potatoes and onion petals from Outback Steakhouse...

...and then I woke up and realized I was poor; it was just a dream...

...I went to my cabinet and ate some pub style chicken pot pie soup by Campbells instead...

...and felt an overwhelming sense of disappointment.

C'est la vie.

I made Stikine's macaroni&cheese with Kimchi.
Very good, really a great addition.

We don't have many Koreans here so Kimchi is hard to find.
Lots of Thai folks, but no Koreans.
Add to that the fact that they like to add fish sauce and dead shrimp to it, and I was set on a hard task.
Finally found an internet company specializing in Asian food.
They had fish free Kimchi, so I ordered 10 cans.
When they got here and I read the ingredient list on the can, yep extract of dead fish.

So I decided to just make ordinary M&C.

When I was in the supermarket, I looked in the foreign food section.
Lo and behold, a single glass of Kimchi...................fish free.
Strange World, some times.

I just wrote the internet company and complained, we'll see what they answer.

Bummer on the order @stig but glad you found an alternative. I totally forgot about the fish sauce/shrimp thing with most Kimchi. I need to check but I think many of our options are fish free. Regardless, I found it a great addition to mac and cheese that I never would have considered.

Had the leftover M&C today.
To keep with the whole " spice things up" thing, I served it with sauerkraut.
The acidity of that worked wonderfully as a counterpoint to the cheese.

Huh. If you say so :).

Last night I had a sliced dead pig sandwich at the local sports bar before heading over to the likewise local community theater to watch a play. M and our good friends with, of course.

The play was sub-par, but the dead pig was good :D.

Had the leftover M&C today.
To keep with the whole " spice things up" thing, I served it with sauerkraut.
The acidity of that worked wonderfully as a counterpoint to the cheese.
I really like that Mac n cheese recipe. At first it sounds kind of odd but the kimchi is a good addition.

Instapot pot roast ala calf bone in chuck. Guessing. Looks like chuck :lol:
Was that the bull calfs name?....
Anyway....
I normally do it like I did for Hef.
Seasoned flour rub. Brown in oil. Then make the gravy a tad thin. Pour over roast in roasting pan and surround with the fixins. Carrots, potatoes, onion andcelery. Bake in oven to finish. Almost 2 hours. Pretty bullet proof.
My oven got broke by a power surge that took out my GFIs and a couple surge protectors and a socket. Stove works. But not the convection oven. Puter fried.
Looks like it came out ok. Just missing the browned part. Should be good.
I have some left over mashed pots that will go good with it.

Fermented foods are the new hotness here, and there's a few kimchi/kraut varieties that don't have fish. Maybe check in higher end markets stig. You might find something interesting.

This is Denmark, folks.
Not the US.
Food wise it is like living in the middle ages.

Dead pigs and spuds we do really fine, though.
National dish, so to speak.