What Did Ya'll Have For Dinner Tonight?

I got this from aldi a few weeks ago ...
20200602_170056.jpg

My as-cooked pic turned out blurry, but it definitely didn't look as good as the box :^D It was expensive($10+ if I remember right), but fairly good. I don't think I'd get this specific kind again, but I like the concept. I've been getting "convenience" fresh foods lately. They're pretty expensive, but I don't really enjoy cooking, and if I get the raw ingredients, they get wasted ~90% of the time cause I don't feel like eating what I bought in a timely manner. These kind of things cost more per meal, but ≤ buying the ingredients, and then putting them in my compost pile.

Yea, just me. Well, two cats also, but they're easy. I just dump some food in the bowl twice a day :^D

I'm not that into food, and don't find it fun to make a big mess, and have a bunch of leftovers that have a pretty good chance of making it to the trash before I finish them. I liked it more when my daughter was here. Cooking's more fun when someone else appreciates it.

I think they're pretty spendy, and it would require planning ahead. There's also the quantity issue. When I'm finished with dinner, I want it done. I don't like leftovers. That's just a bacterial time bomb for the fridge, and I feel obligated to eat the stuff whether I want it or not. I probably more often than not don't eat it, and then it makes more waste.

I'm doing alright with my limited (easy)repertoire, and interesting stuff like the salmon shows up often enough to break the routine. That's one thing I really like about aldi. They get often get "special purchase" stuff that shows up, and disappears fast. Makes going to the store interesting. I've also been getting "chopped salad" kits from Sprouts. $5 a bag which equals 1 dinner, but it gets eaten without waste. It's cabbage and other firm vegetables, so it has a reasonable shelf life in the fridge. More often than not, I'll buy salad stuff, then don't want a salad til everything's slimy. I have some spring mix in the fridge now that has to go to compost. I did better with that bag than I usually do. Ate 80% of it before it went off.

This is a point of view I don't get...not saying it's an invalid one. I know one or two otherwise reasonable folks who don't much like cooking. Don't spend much leisure time with them, I have to admit ;). And I do understand the perspective that cooking is more rewarding when there are family or friends to share the results...and help with the cleanup!

But way back when I was single, I still loved cooking for myself; it's a really fun outlet for creativity. I credit my mother, who was a magnificent cook, for inculcating in me the pleasures of cooking. The idea of ordering a box with someone else's idea of the ingredients for a meal in it...not something I can imagine for me :).

And a last thought...in our house today there is no such thing as leftovers...we call the extra, "planned overs". Look forward to them, and set portions prepared in the original iteration to accomplish that :D.

I'm kinda like that, full fridge. I open the door and just wait for my toes to get nailed.
Full sink. Kat and the kids will fill it up to the window with the days dishes rather than rinse some so I have room to work and wash dishes when I get home while making dinner. If the sink is too full, I go on strike and fix me a sammich.
Really hate the no toilet paper replacement by the last kid in.

That's hard to follow for me; the full fridge is like a full pantry, a full root cellar..."we are not going to starve anytime soon" is a pretty comfortable place to be, in my book.

Welllllllllllllll..... when I open the door, I say out loud...... "it's a trap!!!!!". Becuase about everytime you damn well know there is a jar or bowl of something teetering on the edge of a shelf about over where my feet are at... Gallon of spaghetti sauce once.

We make meals almost as if the five kids were still here, and then portion and freeze the leftovers. That way we cook less often, but have ready-made available (we have the room as there's no tobacco taking up the freezer). Just pulled out of the freezer and used the last of the pesto we made from the garden basil last summer in two pans of mushroom lasagna; adds an interesting flavor.

I intentionally buy extra bananas, and as they near brown-stage (better anti-cancer compounds develop in them when bananas are left to over-ripen) I make a few banana breads, with walnuts and dried cranberries in them. Half of them get aluminum foil tented over them as soon as they are out of the hot oven, and once cool, I seal them without handling the loaves. I then drop them off on my 80 to 90 year old home health patient's doorsteps as a treat.

I read somewhere that on average US households waste approximately 40% of the food they purchase. Hard to believe, so we kept track for a few months and were surprised to see it was about 8% to 10% of our total volume (salad greens were definitely a common loss).

We keep the meal planning interesting by incorporating dishes from all the countries we have traveled through: Massaman curry from Thailand, Gallo pinto from Costa Rica, Ceviche from Peru, etcetera...

My freezer's full of tobacco. Got the essentials covered :^D

I used to take a pouch of WB cut out of grandpa's freezer.

That was some rough shit for an 8 year old. It was all I could scrounge......aside from Pyramid cigarettes from Grandma.

I am eternally grateful that there were no hard drugs pushed on kids back then....

Best thing I’ve gotten myself in a long time Jim. Over a year now and no complaints. A bit hard to do shish-ka-bobs though. I ended up just taking stuff off the skewers and cooking that way.

I had a frozen pizza with a cauliflower crust I got from aldi. Gluten free! Gluten free is a bunch of nonsense unless you're one of the very few people that have a real medical intolerance to gluten, but I've been curious about the cauliflower crust since I noticed them. I think I'm a fan. It crisped up really nice, and the pizza was good in general. The crust seemed to soften a bit as it sat, so it probably isn't a good 'save some for later' pizza, but pizza doesn't really last long around me anyway :^D I'll definitely get one again. Glad I tried it :^)