What are you using for SRT and why?

Scuba tanks... Yes... Hydrostatic Has to be done once every 5 years I think. Visual inspection has to be done every year. They take the valve out and do a visual and if it's got any condensation / rust in it they tumble it to get it clean again.

Cleaning ? you're lucky. I never got back my tank. One year old ! Rust = recycle bin they said.
I felt spoiled.:X

Last edited:
I'm the odd member out I guess , do almost everything on single line. Have ankle ascender and homemade knee ascender that I never use. Use a HH with a handled ascender above. Tail goes back through small pulley on the handle and have a piece of Smith rod probably three foot that usually gets used grabbing or setting lines or slings just out of reach. I push the ascender up with it and pull myself up easily

Hardware store small diameter round Steel stock , I put a grip (fuel line) and small hook eye on one end , the other end bent into a rope grabber that also fits through the upper holes on the handle ascender.

The 3 to 1 thing is the closest you can get to doubled rope. Hip thrusting but have even more mechanical advantage and it self tends. On spreading trees it works swimmingly, that's pretty much how i did work positioning with my rope wrench, or when climbing industrial with a petzl rig. An ascender with a revolver CRAB is all you need, and you can still redirect like normal srt. It's just a different way to climb, much more versatile than doubled rope imo because of the self tending, more ma, and ability to redirect.

91.375% of my work is done on: Bowline base tie with carabiner backup. Rope wrench, 12” stuff tether, isc phlotich pulley, rock exotica D biner and 8mm Armor Pruss. Foot ascender with lanyard over the shoulder to advance the system while ascending. If I’m doing removals, I just advance a canopy anchor, which consists of a cinched Steel biner. Simple and deadly. No fuss.

I like the idea of lanyard over the shoulder in principle, but find it to be very restrictive to my style of climbing. There will always be a situation where I need to quickly lanyard in but it is already in use.

For that reason I use a chest tether. It is so light I don’t even notice it. Then I have lanyard to use when I need it.

One of the most simple things Jaimie showed me... is the cmi strap across the chest off a tool loop w a prusiked mini carabiner..

I have 3 different chest harness and this cmi sling is all I use.. it's adjustable and leaves the flip line for other stuff.

I also use a web sling and carabiner for tending. Nice and comfy, lanyard would always dig in.

Plus, you're then carrying a bonus foot loop for skinned out branches, a redirect, and a light duty assist for catching and handling small stuff. All without cluttering up the saddle

Back