Wayne's Ramblingz

Some pictures here in this thread from a while back...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
CursedVoyce thank you very much for sharing those pictures with me! How big of pieces can the saw that was a tip cut? That saw looks like awesome!

@Treeaddict when you decend as you have the rope wrapped around the bottom and top friction plates of the unicender. When when you have most or all of your weight on your rope, how is it to un wrap the rope, take the slack out of the line and have the unicender hang on to the line? That's really the only thing that seems like it would be tricky to pull off. How does that work with you and is it an issue when your limb walking? When your limb walking do you use the rope wrap around technique to get more distance on the limb or do you use the "expert" technique and use your fingers to pull on the top friction plate. Have you seen the mod to put some bearings on the bottom friction play on The Little Hook to make a little pulley to help sending slack?

As soon as I let go of the wrapped rope tail the Unicender pops into grab mode. You don’t have to unwrap it to get it to engage. On limb walking I just control how fast the tail of the rope runs through my hand by my grip (with the wraps around the device). Coming back in, I just hold the rope above the device and reach down with one hand to take up slack.

I would like to modify the bottom of the device to better capture the tail and tend. Reon Rounds has a $60 kit with a bearing for that purpose. I’m too cheap at this point though 😁

Anybody, whats your favorite climbing rope? It would be used for both drt and srt.

½" KM3. I love it in a srs system. It isn't quite as good in mrs, but it works. I don't necessarily recommend it, as it's a static rope, so you aren't gonna have the shock absorption you'll get with stretchier ropes, but it pretty much stays put when set. You don't have to pull a bunch of stretch out before you start.

i haven't seen butch post in a while i think since 2020? what happend to him.

id anyone see the newest TreeStuff lunch n learn with Samson? i think its a kinda old meeting that was just uploaded cuz all the new ropes they talk about are all out at all ready. is the en1891 standard for the USA? or is that a europe thing?

do you guys like a bigger or smaller climb line ? 11mm? or 1/2inch? besides weight is there any downside to using a fatter rope? is there any issue with running a low elongation rope in drt?like under1.5% @10% of mbs?

jonny boy, the fly rope you are talking about is that the teufelberger? @11mm?

for yous that work in wetter climates, how does a nylon climb line feel after it has been rained on? or has gotten wet or soaked at all? does the rope stretch at allz?

@Burnham i had just read a thread called Delicious dilemma! from 2009 and i was wondering what ever came of that 600' reel?

RIP

From reading his posts he was quite the character.

Was he the guy who started this place?

Who is the guy in the picture on top of the website?
And what kind of powersaw is that? It looks unique, i dont think i have seen one like that before but that doesn't say much.

@Mesquite, I ended up keeping that 600 feet of HTP whole. A few times it was a great thing to have all in one piece. I retired only a few years later, and by then (2009) my bad hip was really cutting into my physical abilities, including climbing. Got that hip replaced in 2012, thankfully with great results.

The 600' HTP went on to a better life in the hands of the USFS climbing instructor corps at the Dorena training facility.

The saw Butch is running in that home page photo is a Stihl MS660, I believe.

thank burnham , now taking a double look im sure you right about the saw. it is the angle and probably my eye but it

I personally love the feel of bigger rope, I would climb with a 5/8'' rope if it was practical.

Is with using foot and knee ascenders to ropewalk is the size of the rope not as important, because your not using your hands to haul your weight up the tree?

I used a pulley today for my anchor and it made the hip thrust at least half as hard. It was like I instantly lost a ton of weight. I could tell the choice of hitch and the way it was dressed and set became more important. But fortunately one of my new buddy's brocky shared his secret hitch with me, that I have been really diggin'. I do love me the vt, but I'm trying out hitches that have less sit back. I was also playing around with adding extra friction running the rope under the hitch through a beanr with a munter and that seemed like something worth wild on long decents. Could easily collapse the hitch 100% and not go anywhere.

I have a short hank of yale scandere that I have been messing around on, and I like it it's nice and soft and knotable. I currently have my eye on the samson hyperstatic. I wouldnt mind the half inch but I think the 11.7mm might be the one. I also like hyperclimb, I'm just leaning towards the kernmantel over double braid.

I got a big pine coming up in a couple of weeks and it's just dead removal. My question is that one of the lower big branches is what looks like half dead. Everything past a point looks crispy and then there is a little bushel of green, that's maybe a couple of feet in diameter. The customer said something about cutting the limb back to the green. Is that advisable if the limb up to the point of dead is in good shape? If everything went as planned would the green grown into a new limb? Or is it most likely suckered that would turn dangerous down the line. This limb in question is hanging over their front yard where vehicles often park.

I hope you have a fantastic day!

has anyone considered using amsteel/dyneema for whoopies or loopies? for portawraps or pulleys?

I meant for the dymeema to be used as slings to hold the porty or pulleys.

Back