Anyone here know Wayne chippers?

Tucker, I've spent a few days running a Wayne. I've never been into one so I am only talking hunch. Erik probably knows far better that I do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So just to make sure I'm picking up what you are putting down......... Elongate the holes on the original to allow me to adjust it up more (which needs to be done) and put the grinder to the original to square up the edges? If thats the case I'll do it tomorrow. I just needed to know for sure what the deal is. Mine is a 1976. Crazy as it sounds, it is an EXCELLENT c n' d chipper. I put a fresh motor in her, went over the sheet metal, some tires on it, and a bit of welding here and there it truth be told it is a strong machine. Correct this anvil issue and shoot some paint on her and she'll be just fine. I appreciate the help. Stumper, I truly hope i didnt come off like a douche. I needed absolute confidence in any answer I got before I went back to work on the machine. Thanks gents!

Erik,
have you ever seen an anvil like the original I took out of the chipper?

Yep... on the early Wayne machines. Most others are square bars(Altec) or rectangular.

If you don't get too crazy with the grinding, you should be able to raise it up the the knife settings I recommended.

Tucker, I know most on the forums hate the old (or the new) CnD machines, but for small wood straight-up production, they really do kick azz, and ask VERY little in the way of maintenance.

Tucker, You weren't offensive in any way. I hope I wasn't either. Just trying to figure it out.

It is interesting to note that while Chuck and Ducks probably cause more injuries than other chipper designs ,they are NOT normally involved in fatalities. A C&D will give a guy a whipping but normally it commands enough respect that people stay out of the feed chute. Not so with controlled feed designs that will happily eat you more slowly.

There's NOTHING like watching your gloves, glasses, or cell phone on your hip get sucked into one. years ago i saw a pitch fork get yanked in....... mine is not all that violent. Possibly because it hasnt been feeding up to par but it actually isnt as bad as most and it will take 6 inch oak no sweat. I stand by that statement too.

I've been saying for years that CnD's are inherently safer in that they simply CAN'T east you unless you WANT to go.

How a CnD feeds is solely a matter of knife and anvil settings.

Had a glove go in one once.. I bet the look on my face was priceless as I was counting my groundies and then how may fingers my groundies... well you get the idea ;)

Attention Stumper, you are right and I AM a douche! The 3 sided piece of metal IS a bed knife clamp. the anvil is nothing like a typical anvil. It is like a 16" long rod with 6 sides. Being borderline stupid, i overlooked it all along. It does appear to be a solid piece attached to the feed table, but if you chip the old sap and dust away, you can see that it is a removable part. I got a manual for the machine today and it speeled everything out for me with pictures, diagrams, and the recommended specs.

No, the manual came in the mail today and wasnt in my hands until after dark.

Well the good thing is that now you will be able to get it fixed up properly. Manuals can be frustrating sometimes and lifesavers at others.

I know Wayne chippers. Can you post some pictures?

I knew Wayne Chippers too. He lived across town from me. I don't have any pics of him but I imagine there would be some in the school yearbook. He was quite a card in school...

I knew Wayne Chippers too. He lived across town from me. I don't have any pics of him but I imagine there would be some in the school yearbook. He was quite a card in school...

Better a card than a chip off the old block.

Spent a few hours today adjusting, moving, and fine tuning the cutting system..........I've created a monster.

I've been saying for years that CnD's are inherently safer in that they simply CAN'T east you unless you WANT to go.

How a CnD feeds is solely a matter of knife and anvil settings.

You and I agree on that.

I started a war once at AS on this topic. I titled it "are the chipper manufacturer's killing us?"

Thats why I keep our old CnD. We very seldom chip, when we do it is usually on street cleance jobs. The old drum makes fast work of the small stuff. The grab truck handles all the big wood.

I also have an old FMC/Wayne c16 t316 Chipper, I'm searching for a manual or at least an exploded parts view. I need a blower for the chip stack. The fan runs off the drum probably 8" deep and 12" in diameter. Could really use some help here. Thanks, Scott

Back