Chipper 101

But by the look of it, I guess that the wires themselves are as corroded as the plug's connectors. Screwed plugs may work, but soldering them is very difficult as you can't clean the tiny wires well enough. I tried and the result was awful.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Truck wires looked great. They're only a max of 8 years old. The installation job also looked great, so rewiring the truck was the least interesting option. Add to that, doing work under a truck isn't appealing. That left make a dongle(lame but easy and effective), rewire the chipper(not a terrible idea), or add a whole new connector to the chipper leaving the old one(flexible options, while being fairly easy). I settled on the dongle cause I'm lazy, but ended up finding one premade, which is even easier.

I think second up would've been adding a second plug to the chipper. That way the old one would still be there, and I know it works, and I'd have two different setups so differently outfitted trucks could hookup to it.

Nothing extra. Just running lights. What would you use the spots for; dark o'clock finish up?

I thought soldering was a no go on vehicles, since it is more likely to fail than a rimped connection. Personally, I'd do both. Solder for a good connection, and crimp, so it doesn't come undone and short into something else if it overheats.

Could be. That's why I wasn't keen on soldering. I don't trust my soldering skills to hold up to vibration. I've made/repaired a lot of stuff for work. It's usually ugly, but I've had few failures, though none of my work's hung off the back of truck, and gotten vibrated and jostled all week.

John,
I still had that adapter in the toolbox on my trailer. One friend used to have round pin while the rest of us have the flat blade. If you haven’t ordered one I can give you this one!

Attachments

• IMG_4105.jpeg
    IMG_4105.jpeg
    549.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4104.jpeg
    IMG_4104.jpeg
    566.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4103.jpeg
    IMG_4103.jpeg
    674.7 KB · Views: 3
Thanks Pat, but I already ordered one(of course!). It should be here before Friday. I also have a 7 blade round to 5 pin flat adapter I bought for the nissan. The flat connector I saw under the truck disappeared after I bought the adapter :^D I don't know what I was looking at that led me to buy an adapter, but I was clearly wrong. I saved it cause it might be useful some day.

I thought soldering was a no go on vehicles, since it is more likely to fail than a rimped connection. Personally, I'd do both. Solder for a good connection, and crimp, so it doesn't come undone and short into something else if it overheats.

I prefer soldering and the high dollar shrink tube, the kind that has the goo that seals it up when it shrinks. Those crimp connectors are aluminum and it doesn’t play well with copper, dielectrics and all that.

Do individually test each function when you get an adapter. I bought one for my grapple truck to pintle trailer (7 pin round to 7 flat) and something, maybe the parking lights, activated the trailer brakes. Had to change some functionality.

Also the 7 pin round has a separate pin for brake lights from the turn signals. 7 flat and 4 pin connectors (most common lighter duty) combine turn signals with brake lights.

Back